Thread: FEATURED CD: Uriah Heep - Sweet Freedom

FEATURED CD: Uriah Heep - Sweet Freedom

Today's featured album is the 1973 release from Uriah Heep titled "Sweet Freedom".

Review from ProgArchives:
    One might have forgotten or neglected this album as it did not generate a memorable hit like previous albums. But, we have to admit that musically this album is excellent - composition-wise as well as the band's efforts to push their musical boundaries. You can see it right from the opening track "Dreamer" (3:41) where it sounds a true rock song but the band has included groove music in it. It has made the music energetic, powerful. One noticeable difference is the way the instrument is composed whereby Ken Hensley put aside his soaring keyboard sound at the back and giving Mr. Mick Box more chance to demonstrate his hard-edge guitar riffs and melody. It's really stunning.

"Stealing" has become the band's legendary track where recent live set has always included this song-based composition in the set list. Those who have been familiar with how this track is played live in Magician's Birthday's Party or Live in Moscow would see the difference on how instrument is played. In this original version, Gary Thain provides much richer basslines. So powerful. Byron voice got a lot of power.

"One Day" (2:47) has its roots on unique choirs that become Heep sound. Hensley keyboard soars at the back putting it up together as rhythm section combined with rhythm guitar and solo - especially during transition segment. "Sweet Freedom" (6:37) lends itself the rhythm section and a bit of melody from the band's hit "July Morning" (from "Look At Yourself" album). Even though it has different beat and tagline melody, for sure this track is heavily influenced by the legendary hit.

"If I Had The Time" (5:43) is for me like a ballad rock song with a good melody, keyboard and vocal orientated song. It favors most ears, I think, be it a rock fan or any music buff would enjoy this song. As is the case with the other two tracks "Seven Stars" and "Circus".

If I am asked to vote what is the best song from this album I would definitely say that the album's concluding track "Pilgrim" is the only one. Yeah, this track deserves full five star rating (masterpiece) as it has a powerful composition, strong songwriting and excellent performance overall. In addition to that, this song is the only one which is really prog musically. I always repeat this last track whenever I play this album in its entirety. In terms of structure, this song has multi-part with different music styles but everything revolves around comprehensive tagline melody. This track blows me away from start with energetic opening and powerful choirs followed with rhythm section that combines great guitar rhythm and soaring keyboard sound. Evrything is glued together tightly with dynamic bass lines produced by one of the best rock bass guitar players, Mr. Gary Thain (RIP). Oh yeah, Ken Hensley still provides his magic sound through his finger punches. The song provides varied composition from simple to relatively complex segments. Oh . Mick Box guitar solo reminds me to his wonderful guitar solo in "Gypsy" (especially from "Live 73" version"). Byron really sings very high register notes at the end of the song. Wonderful!

So, what can I say overall? No doubt, I would recommend you to purchase this CD! This album has been under-rated so far. It deserves excellent rating. Keep on proggin' ..! LONG LIVE HEEP!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Really like the title track on this one but otherwise I don't listen to this one much.

My very first album....
    www.canvasproductions.net

Everything is good, except Stealin - the weakest track of the album. Fave songs are Circus, Sweet Freedom and One Day. Production is not as good, as on Demons & Wizards.

Absolutely love this album, great songs and production. I remember even my friends who where into soul etc at the time liking it when played on my car cassette player!

One of my favorites of all time. The bonus track, Sunshine, is killer and should have been put on the album to begin with.

To me, their decline began with Wonderworld. Wtf happened?

Wonderworld was an inarguably weak album- my least favourite of the Byron albums. The title track, 'The Shadows And The Wind' and 'The Easy Road' are the only worthwhile songs IMHO, and only the title track is anywhere near classic status.

High And Mighty has a good first side, and the 2nd side has a few nice songs in 'Footprints In The Snow' and 'Confession'.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-11-2017 at 02:24 PM.

A great album but I hate the production.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Wonderworld was an inarguably weak album- my least favourite of the Byron albums. The title track, 'The Shadows And The Wind' and 'The Easy Road' are the only worthwhile songs IMHO, and only the title track is anywhere near classic status.
    Was that the last Byron album?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    They feasted too much, probably.

Was that the last Byron album?
    High & Mighty is the last.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    High & Mighty is the last.
    I never bought that one. I thought Wonderworld had several good tunes on it. Return to Fantasy was where I totally lost interest in them until recently with Wake the Sleeper. I always heard that High & Mighty was pretty bad.

Sweet Freedom may be my favorite Heep album. I agree that the decline started with Wonderworld.
    SF still has that magic, that freshness that make the classic era special. "Sweet Freedom", "If I had the Time", "Circus" are the stars for me.

Heep's songs I divide into 3 categories
    1) those where they sing 'aaaaaaa'
    2) those without 'aaaaaa"
    3) those that are suitable for 'aaaaaa', but they abstained from doing it.

Pilgrim is one of the best Uriah Heep songs ever.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I never bought that one. I thought Wonderworld had several good tunes on it. Return to Fantasy was where I totally lost interest in them until recently with Wake the Sleeper. I always heard that High & Mighty was pretty bad.
    If you're not biased to expect listening to the usual Uriah Heep heavy stuff, High & Mighty will pleasantly surprise you. For me it's one of the Heep albums, I'm usually revisiting. Frequent rotation since it's release date.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    High And Mighty has a good first side, and the 2nd side has a few nice songs in 'Footprints In The Snow' and 'Confession'.
    My opinion exactly. I find High And Mighty more interesting and daring than Return To Fantasy and Wonderworld. It may be one of the less rocking Heep albums, but it has its charm.

I think the next 3 with John Lawton are all great albums, but after that is when they became unlistenable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Wake The Sleeper was incredible! And then they went downhill after that.

The last CLASSIC Heep work

Quote Originally Posted by Canvas View Post
    My very first album....
    Imo of course. Not as great as D& W but the filler here is better than the ones on MB. My very first Heep CD...

I do can appreciate W for its better moments (and though I hate So Tired the first side is terrific).

From SF the meat still has a low percentage of fat. I like it that way.

Wetton albums? Both are weak ones with some great songs. Don't like RtF production. H&M has some bad arrangement in otherwise great songs (Footprinsts in the snow).

And I still apreciate a lot of the Lawton albums (though IV and FA could be mixed and made one good album, on pair with Firefly). What kills this incarnation was Lawton take on Byron songs. Maybe if Hensley took the lead things would run better to my ears. I can't stand Lawton's July Morning.

Have two Bernie studio albums. Only Sea of Light is played once a year. Live with Bolder they were great (but I'd prefered a Hammond alone instead of Lanzon's synths).

After this excursion, back to the OP: at least for my Brazilian ears SF was the last truly great Heep studio hour. And I agree with the fellow above about Sunshine.

One of my favorites of all time. The bonus track, Sunshine, is killer and should have been put on the album to begin with.

Not the only time when a UH bonus track would've been better than many of the choices retained on the album's final list

Thinking of the superb Why? on Magician's BD.

AFAIAC, I'm not big on the Heep S&S and Dean albums... for me, their decline started after Salisbury and LAY
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Wake The Sleeper was incredible! And then they went downhill after that.
    Yes, best since "Firefly". But unfortunately the blew it with the boring "Into The Wild" that came next...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Yes, best since "Firefly". But unfortunately the blew it with the boring "Into The Wild" that came next...
    Nail on the head. And coincidently, the first song, Nail On The Head, is puerile.