Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex Machina-- Devoto

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I will be disappointed if Mauro doesn't play a ripping guitar solo with Alberto sitting on his shoulders during their ProgDay set this year.
    Yeah....good luck with that

And I think it was the other way around...Mauro was carried around by Alberto for a solo?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I will be disappointed if Mauro doesn't play a ripping guitar solo with Alberto sitting on his shoulders during their ProgDay set this year.
    Prepare to be disappointed.

They are not 20-somethings any more.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

And I think it was the other way around...Mauro was carried around by Alberto for a solo?
    John is correct, Alberto carried around Mauro, and if it does happen, I hope the ambulances are standing by.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I think this is probably their finest release since Equilibrismo, and altogether possibly more coherent than Cinque, although the latter has some remarkable standout tracks.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Just got that one in, after the first spin I am allready lovin it.

This one might be a little bit easier to follow than the albums before, but it also rocks like hell.

Hope they do a couple of albums more in the future.

Thanx Steve F. for releasing this great Album.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

Thanx Steve F. for releasing this great Album.
    Thanks for buying it.

"People don't buy, there won't be no more."

Pretty simple, but a lot of people seem to not understand that particular concept...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    "People don't buy, there won't be no more."

Pretty simple, but a lot of people seem to not understand that particular concept...
    To be quite honest, I'll be surprised if in ten years' time there are still any current "prog" artists bothering with actually releasing recorded music at all.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    To be quite honest, I'll be surprised if in ten years' time there are still any current "prog" artists bothering with actually releasing recorded music at all.
    I disagree.

Artists have to create and unleash.

That'll never change.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Somehow i manged to miss this release, thanks to this thread problem solved, now i eagerly await shipment.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I disagree.

Artists have to create and unleash.

That'll never change.
    Maybe not, but in 2026 it'll be spotty kids recording it on their organic a(ss)-phone implants, sporting rectal reverb and mainly consisting of rehashed Big Dig Drain schlagers merged with some ancient r&b Rihanna as interpreted by Kenny Rogers' grandson Artie. And then released in physical format as a vibrating bonus microchip-attachment in a box of gum cereal. Or something like that.

Really enjoying this after the first listen. I was on vacation when this was released and forgot to pick it up until I saw this thread bumped today.

I love being able to buy on Bandcamp to listen right away while I wait for the CD to arrive in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    Really enjoying this after the first listen. I was on vacation when this was released and forgot to pick it up until I saw this thread bumped today.

I love being able to buy on Bandcamp to listen right away while I wait for the CD to arrive in the mail.
    And I love the fact that I can buy the download from Bandcamp, as opposed to ordering the Cd, and save $20!

neil

If their gig in Milano was any indication of what they may do at Progday, besides most of the new album they also played "Exordium" off De Republica, and "Convolutus" off Cinque. And there is internal / external inspiration for them to play "De Ordinis Ratione" off Cinque as well. So it will be interesting to see what songs from their back catalogue they will choose to go with their current rock-oriented direction.

Seeing as this will be the lineup that produced the first 3.5 albums, I will be neither surprised nor disappointed to hear some lovely oldies added to the mix. And it'll be interesting (at least to me) to hear what Luigi does with the material from the albums done in his absence.

Honestly, they could get up there and play a set of Genesis covers and I'd still be thrilled to be hearing/seeing DeM again (okay, that's a bit of a lie but still).

Starting to feel that particular form of pre-Progday excitement build up...it's a mixture of eagerness (for the music) and dread (for the heat), sort of like the prog rock equivalent of a vodka & Red Bull
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    And I love the fact that I can buy the download from Bandcamp, as opposed to ordering the Cd, and save $20!
    as I've said many times, we are very, very happy with what BandCamp brings to the table for us as a label.

Glad you are too.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    as I've said many times, we are very, very happy with what BandCamp brings to the table for us as a label.

Glad you are too.
    Bandcamp probably gets about 40% of my purchases these days, big fan.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Another huge Bandcamp fan here!

Interesting. Will stay tuned.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I listen to the Deus Ex Machina since 1992 and I love all their albums.
    This album shows their whole class. It is not a classic prog album, there are parts technically difficult but they make it easy from the first listen
    The keyboard parts are beautiful, the Mauro guitar sounds are wonderful, Trotta is as usual an incredible drummer. I miss a little bit the sound dry and clean of the bass of the other albums, in this is a little more into the background. The lyrics are in Italian and very interesting.

In this days there's a lot of music but this album MUST be in your cd player

Devoto has been in the CD player since it arrived 3 days ago. An outstandig album. I like the more direct approach. For sure one of the best releases of 2016.

Thanks Steve for releasing it!

I have to say, I'm disappointed. Nowhere near Equilibrismo, Republica. Not even close to Cinque and Paris. Piras saves the show, but I was expecting more. At least in the vein of Im Paris. Drums are recorded very messy and unfocused. Bass drum is very weak and barely noticeable. Drumkit is sounding very much like live recording, but rest of instruments sound like studio. weird... band often goes into "filler" mode (track 2), and last 2-3 min of track 6. Best moment is that single Figli. Sorry to be negative, but that's how I "see" it.

^ ^
    ^ ^

I'm sorry and you're welcome. Or the other-way around....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

... that said... Devoto is still essential in DeM collection. Trotta is such a phenomenal drummer able to swing and double kick same time. but that double kick of his is drowned in the mix. As well as Porecca's bass. Collina is dominating here. Can't get enough of Cosmopolitismo..., my friends...

I'm digging it--at first listen. They sound like themselves--like no one else, really...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Just received my copy yesterday, only had a chance to spin the first 4 tracks this morning before work, so far i am really digging what i hear and can't wait to hear the rest. Sounds like they have answered Alberto's question from Nearfest - "Do you want to get funkeee?" The answer is a hearty "You're damn right!!" Sounds like this album is all about the groove, one big enough to make George Clinton proud. Oh and those horns - holy jebus! I'm curious to know if this was tracked live with minimal overdubs, that's how it comes across to me anyhow. If the rest of the album holds up to the first 4 tracks then i will go on a limb and say this is their best since Equilibrismo.