One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Man on the Moon
    Taking Off
    Amadeus
    The People V. Larry Flynt

..and others.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Have to give a shout to Sidney Lumet.

Really, apart from a few notable exceptions the man has been consistently brilliant for most of his career.

Apart from his better known movies I would give a shout out for -

The Verdict - a monumental movie. Seriously. Low key and dialogue heavy it may be, but...dialogue to die for by David Mamet...and my god what power, what dialogue, what a cast (James Mason...James fucking Mason as Concannon...'The prince of fucking darkness!'). Milo O'Shea (known for comedy here in the UK) as a sleazy judge...Lindsay Crouse...Jack Warden...even the bit part players excelled.

Prince Of The City - Serpico to the power of 10. Another epic story of police corruption...Treat Williams never bettered this performance.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Have to give a shout to Sidney Lumet.

Really, apart from a few notable exceptions the man has been consistently brilliant for most of his career.

Apart from his better known movies I would give a shout out for -

The Verdict - a monumental movie. Seriously. Low key and dialogue heavy it may be, but...dialogue to die for by David Mamet...and my god what power, what dialogue, what a cast (James Mason...James fucking Mason as Concannon...'The prince of fucking darkness!'). Milo O'Shea (known for comedy here in the UK) as a sleazy judge...Lindsay Crouse...Jack Warden...even the bit part players excelled.

Prince Of The City - Serpico to the power of 10. Another epic story of police corruption...Treat Williams never bettered this performance.
    Deathtrap

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Darabont also directed The Green Mile and Buried Alive. In 1990 there were two films with this title - one with Pleasence and Vaughn and another with Matheson, Leigh and Atherton. He made this second one. Saw it a long time ago.
    Green Mile was an amazing film but not topping Shawshank Redemption. I'm not familiar with Buried Alive.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Milos Foreman?

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Man on the Moon
    Taking Off
    Amadeus
    The People V. Larry Flynt

..and others.
    Yes, an impressive list for Milos Foreman. When Amadeus came out in the 1980s I was in my early 20s and I was bored to death until half way through the movie and then I got everything. This hasn't happened too often and not to that extent. Tom Houle (sp?) really fell off the map after such a brilliant performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yes, an impressive list for Milos Foreman. When Amadeus came out in the 1980s I was in my early 20s and I was bored to death until half way through the movie and then I got everything. This hasn't happened too often and not to that extent. Tom Houle (sp?) really fell off the map after such a brilliant performance.
    Tom Hulce. Slamdance in 1987 was a stark departure for him. Pretty dark.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Those that know me well here would also know that my answer would be Sergio Leone, the Italian Western master. And his Masterpiece in my opinion is Once Upon a Time in the West. But his last film and non-western is also great and that film is Once Upon a Time in America. My next favorite is obviously Quentin Tarantino.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.