Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belew and Stewart Copeland

I saw Stewart Copeland with a small orchestra doing the live Ben Hur silent movie soundtrack. It really was the best "prog rock" I've heard in a long time.
    You should look for the CD/DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You must not have been playing attention if you "don't remember" Ade playing a Strat. He played one for much of his career, prior to endorsing the Parker guitars a few years ago. .
    Nope, I wasn't "playing" attention. I've never been much of a KC fan, and so most of that era I'm not part of. I was basing it on an old Guitar Player article I read.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I've never been much of a KC fan
    Not a Bowie, Zappa, or Talking Heads fan either, are ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I was basing it on an old Guitar Player article I read.
    January 1984 cover story, I assume. Ade's Mustang era was relatively brief, circa 83-86. As I said, before the Twang Bar King tour, his main axe was a Strat, and he switched to Custom Shop Strats when his resumed his solo career after touring with Laurie Anderson, which he continued to use all the way up to til he started endorsing the Parker guitars.

I've always wondered why he used the Mustangs in the first place. For all the trouble he went to, he could have simply bought four Roland G-505 guitars, had them refinished and put the Seymour Duncan pickups and Kahler tremolo on those, and be done with it. Instead, he cut up and refinished four (at least) vintage Fenders (this being before Fender started offering reissues of their "lesser" models, the Mustang included). So I've always wondered if there wasn't some reason why he went to the Mustang, perhaps relating to the shorter scale length or something of that nature.

Not a Bowie, Zappa, or Talking Heads fan either, are ya?
    Zappa, yes, although I don't have everything. Bowie, Talking Heads, no. I like some of it okay, but I've never felt the need to buy an album. I was with him on the Parker, until the bridge on my NiteFly started migrating towards the neck. No more Parkers for me.

I was with him on the Parker, until the bridge on my NiteFly started migrating towards the neck. No more Parkers for me.
    I just think they're ugly instruments. I'm sure they play nice and sound good, but I guess I have relatively conservative tastes in guitars. I'll stick with my Strat (and if I ever get around to buying one, a Tele).

I just think they're ugly instruments. I'm sure they play nice and sound good, but I guess I have relatively conservative tastes in guitars. I'll stick with my Strat (and if I ever get around to buying one, a Tele).
    Fair enough. They ARE unusual-looking. They play really well, but I can't take take issues like what happened to the NiteFly. And it was a common issue - there were lots of people discussing it on the Parker forum, but Parker kind of ignored it. It sucks; I have a useless $1500 hunk of wood that I'm using for parts...

Fair enough. They ARE unusual-looking. They play really well, but I can't take take issues like what happened to the NiteFly. And it was a common issue - there were lots of people discussing it on the Parker forum, but Parker kind of ignored it. It sucks; I have a useless $1500 hunk of wood that I'm using for parts...
    Wow, I easily found a forum thread on "bridge migration," like you said, and it seems that no one was really clear on what was the cause, only that the guitars were becoming impossible to intonate. How does this even happen?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    When I saw KC during the TCoL-TPtB period, Ade was playing Parkers.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Copeland, Belew, King...count me in for whatever they're selling!

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    When I saw KC during the TCoL-TPtB period, Ade was playing Parkers.
    He was still playing Strats on the shows I saw during that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Wow, I easily found a forum thread on "bridge migration," like you said, and it seems that no one was really clear on what was the cause, only that the guitars were becoming impossible to intonate. How does this even happen?
    I don't know - if you look at how the bridge posts are mounted, you wouldn't think it possible, without the wood cracking. But it happened, and it migrated so far forward that the bridge started catching on the pickguard.