Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copyrights Debate

So, no links available?

Regarding 401(k)s.... there is some logic to the idea of a 100% estate tax. Otherwise what you get, and what we have, are inherited dynasties where more-and-more wealth is held by fewer-and-fewer people. The money could be used to give every baby born an equal head start in life. But I'm not sure I'd be willing to that far -- it's pretty radical.

Yes make it Open Source, set the info free. At least after lets say 30 years after the artist is dead.
    But psycologically its difficult the kids etc. might feel ownership, or made it their business too while the artist was alive.

A minor derail perhaps - Zappa:
    In every language, the first word after "Mama!" that every kid learns to say
    is "Mine!" A system that doesn't allow ownership, that doesn't allow you to
    say "Mine!" when you grow up, has -- to put it mildly -- a fatal design flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Brands and trademarks are not the same.

People tend to mistake a brand with the name or logo (brand mark). They are not the same. The brand is a state of mind held by the consumer. It's the business' promise to their market and its value is in their ability to deliver on that promise.
    Well yes, that's true. I guess I misunderstood your post.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    So, no links available?

Regarding 401(k)s.... there is some logic to the idea of a 100% estate tax. Otherwise what you get, and what we have, are inherited dynasties where more-and-more wealth is held by fewer-and-fewer people. The money could be used to give every baby born an equal head start in life. But I'm not sure I'd be willing to that far -- it's pretty radical.
    No-inheritance rules are interesting ideas that have been thrown around for awhile. From a purely ideological standpoint, they go hand in hand with capitalism in its purest form.

The problem with it is the implementation process, and what exceptions are allowed (the family house and funeral expenses are just about always exempted, but there are plenty of other things that should arguably be exempted as well). And then there's the issue of what to do with the wealth.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So, no links available?

Not sure I can find a link - I know about it from personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Well yes, that's true. I guess I misunderstood your post.
    No biggie. It's what I do for a living and, believe me, it's not an easy thing to sell. Some really get it; others have no clue. People tend to equate branding with ranchers branding their cattle, which is what it meant back then and, to some degree, today. But, the concept has evolved into something much, much more.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So, no links available?
    From this:

http://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/...y-dec2013.html

Intellectual Property at Death

An individual creator who owns rights to intellectual property at the time of death may be subject to an estate tax on the property. Two significant federal tax issues faced by these individuals are how much the intellectual property is worth and, if the creator licensed the property before death, how the royalty payments are treated after death. As with other property owned by the decedent at the time of death, intellectual property must be valued at its FMV. 81 It is important to note that works of art and their copyrights are treated as separate properties for gift and estate tax purposes. 82 Valuation of intellectual property typically is based upon estimated earnings from the property.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    From this:

http://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/...y-dec2013.html

Intellectual Property at Death

An individual creator who owns rights to intellectual property at the time of death may be subject to an estate tax on the property. Two significant federal tax issues faced by these individuals are how much the intellectual property is worth and, if the creator licensed the property before death, how the royalty payments are treated after death. As with other property owned by the decedent at the time of death, intellectual property must be valued at its FMV. 81 It is important to note that works of art and their copyrights are treated as separate properties for gift and estate tax purposes. 82 Valuation of intellectual property typically is based upon estimated earnings from the property.
    BTW, the above is somewhat incorrect in that estimates of future royalty payments aren't only based on what works are or aren't licensed at the time of death. What the IRS does is look at the past five years of earnings, and the future estimate is based on that. Whoever provides the estimate of this for the estate tax return might try to lowball this somewhat, but since the IRS will carefully (and slowly) audit the return, they really can't do much lowballing.

I have just been informed that the Disney legal team is aware of this thread and at this moment, armed Mouseketeers are converging on your homes. It's been nice knowing y'all.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I have just been informed that the Disney legal team is aware of this thread and at this moment, armed Mouseketeers are converging on your homes. It's been nice knowing y'all.
    Don't you mean:

M-I-C...see you real soon!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

wow - I can see up her skirt from here
    .looking-up-200x300.jpg