Thread: Paris record cd stores recommendations

Paris record cd stores recommendations

Any recommendations for shops with Prog selection and lots of vinyl that's not over priced? Thx

Gibert Joseph
    34, boulevard Saint Michel
    75006 Paris
    Open Mo to Sat 10h00 to 20h00.
    Metro Odeon or Saint Michel /Left bank
    Best overall choice , best prog section, (Cuneiform, AltRock Esoteric among others...) best second hand section, best vinyl section, best prices. (last big record castle standing in Paris, but winter is coming.... :-)
    Plus a couple of smaller second hand stores in the same quarter.

I add my favourite vinyl shop : small but a good eclectic choice and good prices for vinyl. The owner is a bit grumpy otherwise great shop.
    Le Silence de la rue
    39 Rue Faidherbe, 75011 Paris
    metro Faidherbe Chaligny (nice area for bars )
    Last edited by alucard; 06-29-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Confirmed. Gibert's the only place to find prog in Paris. The only remaining big name record dealer (Fnac) will only have the odd prog CD usually filed under Heavy Metal. That's about all that's left of brick and mortar shops here. Then you have used CD shops but there's no guarantee what they might have .

Another vote for Gibert.
    The prog section is still alive there against all odds.

Merci for the recommendations.

Vanders house
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Gibert Joseph
    34, boulevard Saint Michel
    75006 Paris
    Open Mo to Sat 10h00 to 20h00.
    Metro Odeon or Saint Michel /Left bank
    Best overall choice , best prog section, (Cuneiform, AltRock

I add my favourite vinyl shop : small but a good eclectic choice and good prices for vinyl. The owner is a bit grumpy otherwise great shop.
    Le Silence de la rue
    39 Rue Faidherbe
    OMG - I haven't been to Paris since 1992, but I believe the shop was already there at that point? I used to live in a small hotel in Rue Cujas, and I remember locating a music store not too far from there (and not too far from the Sorbonne) - which I believe must have been this one?

Brick & mortar retailers selling Cuneis and AltrOcks, that's about all you need ... And it's not authentically Parisian if there's not a grumpy manager in sight, at the hotel, the bar, the warehouse, the restaurant . The lady manager at Hotel Cujas used to yell at me when uttering at all - usually she didn't answer when presented with a question. I got back at her when drunk, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    OMG - I haven't been to Paris since 1992, but I believe the shop was already there at that point? I used to live in a small hotel in Rue Cujas, and I remember locating a music store not too far from there (and not too far from the Sorbonne) - which I believe must have been this one?
    It's probably this one. It's really close to the Sorbonne.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It was already there at that time and it's really close to rue Cujas so it's definitely this one.

Mostly experimental / improv / free jazz record shop for the open-minded, but there's some prog there too :

Le Souffle Continu
    22 rue Gerbier
    75011 Paris
    (métro Voltaire)

http://www.soufflecontinu.com/index.php?f=accueil

Cligniancourt flea market, for 2nd hand ORIGINAL vinyl. Used to score terrific collectable rarities (reasonable prices as well) at Andre (record store also known as "the tent"). Don't know if the famous Crocodisc/Crocojazz are still around. La Damme Blanche has also some good avant garde/experimental stuff but prices are rather high. Also, avoid collectors stores like Monster Melodies; your wallet's gonna hurt.

For new stuff and reissues, Gibert Joseph is the only one remaining. Le Souffle Continu is also recommended. I think Bimbo Tower closed down the previous year.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I found some good stuff at Gilbert Joseph when Kay & I were in Paris a few years ago. Glad to see that I (totally by accident) found a store that you locals like.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman