Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prog tribute bands/artists: Who's good and who's not.

Prog tribute bands/artists: Who's good and who's not.

Do you have any prog tribute bands or solo artists to recommend? Or any to avoid?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Back in the 70's and 80's, there was a very good prog band from Montreal who was very popular by the name of Harmonium. There is now a very good tribute band to them by the name of Premier Ceil. I had the privilege of seeing them at FMPM and thoroughly enjoyed their show. Check them out.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The very best - Musical Box, easily. Although I did enjoy seeing Premier Ceil.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Musical Box and Australian Pink Floyd are pretty good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There was a video on here recently of a GG tribute band of young kids that was very good. I think they were from Canada.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There was a video on here recently of a GG tribute band of young kids that was very good. I think they were from Canada.
    I think that was GG Project from Montrealhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJmxC_G3BQY
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I am not much into tribute bands, but as others have mentioned The Musical Box is an exception and are well worth seeing.

I saw the Brit Floyd Live At Red Rocks thing on AXS TV a while back and was pretty impressed with them too.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Australian Pink Floyd is also a good call. Saw them a few times and they were excellent!

I've seen The Machine several times through the years.. they do Floyd justice for sure.. Well worth seeing.. and of course Dweezil would make his Dad proud..

Don’t really have time for tribute acts, but for Le Premier Ciel I’d make an exception. I believe they’ve actually done shows with Serge Fiori in tow.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Yes is a pretty good Yes tribute band right now....

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Australian Pink Floyd is also a good call. Saw them a few times and they were excellent!
    Brit Floyd too

Thought both the Australian and Brit Floyd were very good. The Polish singer in Brit Floyd does a stunning version of Great Gig in the Sky.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Project Object.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    The Security Project (Gabriel) are awesome. I've seen Three Friends twice and they are excellent. Haven't seen the Krimson Projeckt but on the basis of the live album I have, they bring the goods. I've seen The Waiting Room, the Watch and the Musical Box perform Genesis...my vote goes to the Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I've seen The Waiting Room, the Watch and the Musical Box perform Genesis...my vote goes to the Watch.
    As far as being an actual "tribute" to Genesis, I think TMB is by far the best. The Watch do some fabulous renditions of Genesis songs & setlists, however, I truly believe that The Watch are much better playing their own originals. I have all of their albums & their original music is definitely their greatest strength IMO

Funny coincidence... I'm currently trying to put together a Rush tribute band. From what I've seen out there, competition is not that fierce. I have an uncanny knack for sounding almost exactly like Geddy - and I'm a bass player. In fact, my username here is due to my rather unique voice. I can sound like Geddy - The old one, the one with a range.

I havent seen much good by way of Rush tribute bands, but since they arent playing out anymore, I think a really good Rush tribute band is in order. If anyone knows of one and has some audio, I'd be interested in hearing it. The ones I've seen online are not really very serious. I know that tributes are all about the love, but some of them are just not very close. I myself would still enjoy seeing any band doing Rush music. Even if it wasnt that close.

If there is a serious Rush tribute out there I would LOVE to hear them. It might stop me from doing something really stupid - like creating a Rush tribute band

In the 80's and 90's When our old bands used to play Rush, people often accused us of lip syncing to the record.

I also used to do a Phil Collins imitation set back in the early 2000's. Of course, that was until Phil Collins ruined it.

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post
    ...as well as Steve Hackett (with Nad) and Genesis
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I heard a show from UK's Fragile, a Yes tribute fronted by Claire Hammill...it was meh.

Not Prog per se......Back in the late '70s/early 80s in NJ, there was a fantastic Doors tribute band called: Crystal Ship. Lead singer was a dead-ringer for Morrison...the band was top-notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Not Prog per se......Back in the late '70s/early 80s in NJ, there was a fantastic Doors tribute band called: Crystal Ship. Lead singer was a dead-ringer for Morrison...the band was top-notch.
    I remember seeing a really good doors tribute band in a theater here a long time ago (probably back in the 80’s or 90’s). They sounded just like the Doors although the lead singer was in silhouette through the whole show, so you could not actually see him very well. The other musicians were all lit. They were pretty big at the time as this was a 1500 seat theater and I think it was sold out. Can’t remember the name of the band though. Is this ringing a bell with anyone?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I hope they do a good selection from Heaven & Earth!

Lol--true--they just need to get rid of the guitarist---he's sort of too good for a tribute band.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    As far as being an actual "tribute" to Genesis, I think TMB is by far the best..IMO
    Seconds Out is the strongest Genesis-tribute band I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I remember seeing a really good doors tribute band in a theater here a long time ago (probably back in the 80’s or 90’s). They sounded just like the Doors although the lead singer was in silhouette through the whole show, so you could not actually see him very well. The other musicians were all lit. They were pretty big at the time as this was a 1500 seat theater and I think it was sold out. Can’t remember the name of the band though. Is this ringing a bell with anyone?
    Never seen them myself, but could it have been Wild Child?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx