Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your favourite ending part of a prog song? (pick one!)

In Ernest-The Tangent
    The older I get, the better I was.

Triumvirat - Spartacus (The Finale)
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Suppers Ready--Awaken---Ritual----The Remembering----RSOG----Gates----Watcher of the Skies---CTTE----And you and I----Owner of a lonely heart (just kidding)

One of the most groundbreaking Organ ending sections ever:

Par Lindh Project - The Cathedral
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    All in a Mouse's Night - Genesis

Some wags might say it's the best simply because the song is finally over ...

But ...
    Hackett's parts over the string swells; Collin's military snare rolls; a nice ending
    always loved that song and Steve's solo at the end is just awesome.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

As for a Steve Hackett's awesome ending solo... 'Every Day' is a clear winner IMO, besides saving an otherwise just Ok track.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    I think the original included on Sounds Like This is live as well... that whole album was recorded live in he studio, in front of a few friends, from what I've read.
    The SLT "live in the studio" rendition was also shorter, due to time restrictions on the length of the double vinyl at that time, however, in theaters and clubs around England & Germany, 1234 was very often the last piece played during 1971 & 1972, usually with that extended ending where I sank the battleship, shot down fighter planes then crashed the Hindenberg on the backdrop. Thanx for the memories.

Clearlight Symphony on vinyl. The closing synth arpeggio is cut into the spiral groove leading to the inner most ring of side 2. If it's played on a turntable without automatic tonearm return and shut-off, the arpeggio will literally keep playing forever.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

"Circus of Heaven" because then i know it's finally over!!

I echo the sentiments of many regarding tracks on both ITCotCK and Foxtrot. Another song that comes readily to mind is the dramatic concluding track on DT's Metropolis Pt.2:Scenes from a Memory: Finally Free. Mike Portnoy goes ballistic!
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    I have always loved the crescendo on this rock ballad from prog/hard rockers Omega: The Girl With The Pearl`s Hair
    From which album is that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    The SLT "live in the studio" rendition was also shorter, due to time restrictions on the length of the double vinyl at that time, however, in theaters and clubs around England & Germany, 1234 was very often the last piece played during 1971 & 1972, usually with that extended ending where I sank the battleship, shot down fighter planes then crashed the Hindenberg on the backdrop. Thanx for the memories.
    Ahhhhh, thanks for the visuals, Mick! Must have been great to add lights and images to the music.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    From which album is that one?
    10 000 lépés
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_000_l%C3%A9p%C3%A9s
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Can-Utility and the Coastliners
    BINGO! Tremendous, underrated tune.

Then end of Gabriel's Humdrum from his first album ain't bad

Quite a banal choice - the ending of The Great Nothing, a spiraling melody that goes on and on and somehow you hope it won't end too soon. One of those "bang your head" - "air drums" - "air guitar" moments.

Starts at 23:19

Otherwise, Gates Of Delirium.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Always loved that striking brilliant crescendo on the last section of Hackett's "Shadow of The Hierophant". I wonder if he quoted Wagner's 'Tristan and Isolda' excerpt (iirc) on there, I'd like some Wagner expert on here to confirm that for me.
    AFAIK this is not the case here, at least I cannot pinpoint any motif from Tristan und Isolde that would remind me of that final buildup section in Shadow Of Hierophant.

Speaking of Tristan und Isolde, I really love the ending of that! Waltraud Meier puts on a powerhouse performance. It starts quiet and slow and then mounts to an ecstatic climax. Epic to end all epics, as Portnoy used to say.

Last edited by Azol; 07-27-2016 at 07:56 AM.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Well if I have to pick only one which is difficult because I have several in mind, to me it would be the closing section of Seven Stones by Genesis, after the last Gabriel vocal with Tony Banks beautiful mellotron and Steve Hackett's wonderful, soaring guitar, so emotionally beautiful to me that it always brings tears and I wish that he would reproduce this one like he has with most of the Gabriel era Genesis.
    Last edited by AncientChord; 07-28-2016 at 11:23 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Soon at the end of Gates Of Delirium for sure.
    The guitar solo in the fade out of Floyds Pigs had me wishing for more.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Soon at the end of Gates Of Delirium for sure.
    The guitar solo in the fade out of Floyds Pigs had me wishing for more.
    Yeah, two good ones! I always thought it was interesting they could release just the end of a song as a single (Soon).