Thread: MURPLE/DEDALUS AMS remasters

MURPLE/DEDALUS AMS remasters

Anybody knows how these sound like? I have the old MELLOW CD of MURPLE, which I remember being a crackly vinyl transfer. Read that the new AMS remastered version is from the master tapes. I usually don't trust the re-mastered versions, but in this case maybe?

The new BTF version of Murple has so much no-noise that it's hard to tell if it is really from tape. I guess they say that tapes were finally located but I still think the old Mellow CD from scratchy vinyl sounds a bit better. New version just seems kind of buried. Especially noticeable on the acoustic piano intro on side 2.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    The new BTF version of Murple has so much no-noise that it's hard to tell if it is really from tape. I guess they say that tapes were finally located but I still think the old Mellow CD from scratchy vinyl sounds a bit better. New version just seems kind of buried. Especially noticeable on the acoustic piano intro on side 2.
    I guess I am lucky I own a minty copy of the original record.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    I guess I am lucky I own a minty copy of the original record.
    Very. So lucky I think that you should do a vinyl rip for the rest of us.

Out of all the RPI 90s vinyl reissues I got, the first Trip album, Alluminogeni's Scolopendra and the Murple were the only ones I didn't keep. I've tried several times to enjoy it, but somehow it just doesn't work. I've still got the Mellow CD, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Very. So lucky I think that you should do a vinyl rip for the rest of us.
    Anytime my friend. If you want a copy send me a PM with your address.