Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TOOL: Any friends or foes?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    For all his talk of Puscifer being a multimedia extravaganza i found them live to be hipster garbage, Lucha Libre included.
    I guess I must be an old man hipster then because I've seen Puscifer 3 times and enjoyed them every time.

I remember some years ago that KC was support band for Tool.
    Musically that was weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I thought it made sense. They made a good complement to each other.

I thought Tool asked KC to be support on the tour, with a view to exposing their fanbase to an older band who had influenced them.

Count me as a fan. I've been mad about their mix of heavy & prog since Day 1. And their drummer Danny Carey is a beast. That guy can play. Check out his jammy/jazzy/proggy/fusiony side project Volto.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I thought Tool asked KC to be support on the tour, with a view to exposing their fanbase to an older band who had influenced them.
    That is what I remember as well. I did not get to see the show, but thought it was a great pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Count me as a fan. I've been mad about their mix of heavy & prog since Day 1. And their drummer Danny Carey is a beast. That guy can play. Check out his jammy/jazzy/proggy/fusiony side project Volto.
    Michael tried to book Volto to play ProgDay a few years ago, but it did not work out. Would have been really cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I have. Volto is the tits!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I guess I must be an old man hipster then because I've seen Puscifer 3 times and enjoyed them every time.
    Was there even an act? This recent tour felt completely phoned-in...add to it visuals which featured just MJK's face swirling, toy dinosaurs, song versions like i just put them on at home, and the lame wrestling...it didn't feel like there was any messages to convey, fun to be had, or let alone a show to present.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Was there even an act? This recent tour felt completely phoned-in...add to it visuals which featured just MJK's face swirling, toy dinosaurs, song versions like i just put them on at home, and the lame wrestling...it didn't feel like there was any messages to convey, fun to be had, or let alone a show to present.
    I didn't feel the musicians were phoning it in, far from it. The wrestling and videos added a surreal nature to the performance for me. Was there a message? I'm not so sure there was beyond it perhaps being a "Theater of the Absurd". Was there fun to be had? My wife, myself, and several friends all had fun, I'm sorry you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I didn't feel the musicians were phoning it in, far from it. The wrestling and videos added a surreal nature to the performance for me. Was there a message? I'm not so sure there was beyond it perhaps being a "Theater of the Absurd". Was there fun to be had? My wife, myself, and several friends all had fun, I'm sorry you didn't.
    Theater of the Absurd? WHAT was absurd? Wrestling?! Skits, lectures, characters, etc. would've been such...shrug, this was just a disappointment for me; maybe next tour'll be better!

According to Prog magazine it is said the shortest song on the new album checks in at a mere 12 minutes long...

Quote Originally Posted by glawster2002 View Post
    According to Prog magazine it is said the shortest song on the new album checks in at a mere 12 minutes long...
    This is coming from King Buzzo though...they're all shit talkers...wouldn't it be nice to have a double album? One of epics and one of segues and shorter tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by glawster2002 View Post
    Um, I know this is one of the most loaded and asked questions ever, but....there's a faint, slight, possible, hope of a 'new album', lol?

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Not really, the members of TOOL have gushed over KC and it seemed to make perfect sense. MJK on the topic “For me, being on stage with King Crimson is like Lenny Kravitz playing with Led Zeppelin, or Britney Spears onstage with Debbie Gibson.”

And Adam Jones seems to have been REALLY impressed: http://www.guitarworld.com/adam-jones-adams-jones

I don't like them, though I wouldn't say I am a "foe" - that's a bit too harsh. I am at least respectful of their musicianship. However, I am notorious in several fora for insisting that they have "nothing to do with prog"; I have changed my mind a bit about that, though. I would now say that Tool have some points where they are similar to, and probably influenced by, some prog bands, but not similar enough to be called actual prog, or if they are, then bands such as Velvet Underground or Throbbing Gristle are "prog", too. Like English having a lot of Romance words and still not being a Romance language. But your mileage may vary; it is just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingElf View Post
    I don't like them, though I wouldn't say I am a "foe" - that's a bit too harsh. I am at least respectful of their musicianship. However, I am notorious in several fora for insisting that they have "nothing to do with prog"; I have changed my mind a bit about that, though. I would now say that Tool have some points where they are similar to, and probably influenced by, some prog bands, but not similar enough to be called actual prog, or if they are, then bands such as Velvet Underground or Throbbing Gristle are "prog", too. Like English having a lot of Romance words and still not being a Romance language. But your mileage may vary; it is just my personal opinion.
    Adam Jones in VIP talks has stated that they're "prog pop"...insofar as they know when to curtail self-indulgence and don't really care to take long excursions into solo territory.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    A little Tool never hurt anyone
    I get it... But all kidding aside, if you heard one tool, you heard em all. Great musicians can lack substance and imagination, even with edgy subject matter. I feel stuck on one track with Tool. Anyone else?
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I get it... But all kidding aside, if you heard one tool, you heard em all. Great musicians can lack substance and imagination, even with edgy subject matter. I feel stuck on one track with Tool. Anyone else?
    Yes, all the Tool I have heard so far sounds the same to me, and it sounds boring. Just patterns repeating over and over and becoming more dense toward the end of the track, and a very depressing, cynical, misanthropic mood. It is IMHO bizarre that this thing is going by the same genre label - "progressive metal" - as Dream Theater or Ayreon. Sure, it has characteristics of metal - perhaps "technical doom metal" - and I can understand why it is considered "prog" - length of the tracks, oddball time signatures, but that's about it - but "progressive metal" is a designation of a particular musical style which emerged when prog bands used elements of metal. Dream Theater are prog in a metal garb, but Tool? Yet, words always mean what they are used for, and people call Tool and similar bands "prog metal", so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    if you heard one tool, you heard em all.
    Definitely disagree. You can hear a progression through their recordings in order, even if it's gradual.

I guess if one doesn't enjoy something, they aren't going to look deeper to see any variety.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    I guess if one doesn't enjoy something, they aren't going to look deeper to see any variety.
    Yes, that's true. If you don't like it, you won't subject yourself to the deeper listening that's necessary to find the details. For example, I can't tell most of the differences between the 200+ styles of electronic dance music that Ishkur's Guide distinguishes - I can't even tell techno from house! - because I am not sufficiently interested in that matter to explore these differences. Certainly, a Tool fan will find more variation in that band's output than I do!

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingElf View Post
    Yes, all the Tool I have heard so far sounds the same to me, and it sounds boring. Just patterns repeating over and over and becoming more dense toward the end of the track, and a very depressing, cynical, misanthropic mood. It is IMHO bizarre that this thing is going by the same genre label - "progressive metal" - as Dream Theater or Ayreon. Sure, it has characteristics of metal - perhaps "technical doom metal" - and I can understand why it is considered "prog" - length of the tracks, oddball time signatures, but that's about it - but "progressive metal" is a designation of a particular musical style which emerged when prog bands used elements of metal. Dream Theater are prog in a metal garb, but Tool? Yet, words always mean what they are used for, and people call Tool and similar bands "prog metal", so be it.
    I'd rather listen to Tool than Dream Theater or Ayreon, but I still don't think they are Prog-Rock. However, I think I recall reading that the musical progression or some such in the song "Schism" mimics the Fibonacci Sequence, and you can't get much more prognerd than that.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'd rather listen to Tool than Dream Theater or Ayreon, but I still don't think they are Prog-Rock.
    Fine. Then you are like a particular acquaintance of mine who likes Tool but flatly says that it has "nothing to do with prog".

However, I think I recall reading that the musical progression or some such in the song "Schism" mimics the Fibonacci Sequence, and you can't get much more prognerd than that.
    Surely, a song constructed according to the Fibonacci sequence is sophisticated in a very nerdy way! I'd say sophisticated is the more appropriate term here than progressive, which is laden with the fact that progressive rock doesn't just mean "rock that is progressive in some way" but refers to a particular music tradition which Tool is IMHO only tangentially connected with.

I have often been criticized for allegedly denying "prog status" to music I don't like, but that characterizes me wrongly. There is some music I don't like much which nevertheless admittedly is prog, such as most of Steven Wilson's work, or much of Canterbury, RIO and avant-prog (though I feel that this may be beyond prog in a way roughly analogous to the way [WARNING: bad political analogy ahead] communism is "beyond" social democracy - it is in many ways like prog, but so much more extreme that it is no longer really prog). There is of course also music that isn't prog and I nevertheless like it.

After waiting for 10 years I take the view it will arrive when it arrives, I've stopped counting the days!!