Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R.I.P. Bernie Worrell

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    This makes me really sad. Worrell showed up on a lot of things that I have loved over the years (his work with Jack Bruce being foremost I suppose), and although I can't say that I followed his career closely, to see his name on an album's credits usually means that there's good music to be heard within.

As far as his work with Bruce, what he did on "Smiles and Grins" from Bruce's 50th Birthday concert . . . . . . . in my book that moment alone sends chills down my spine and makes Worrell unforgettable.
    RIP
    he did every kind of music; Rock, Jazz, Funk, Prog, Classical, Blues... you name it, he played it and played it well!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If my memory is correct, I really enjoyed Bernie's playing on Jerry Harrison's solo album.
    yes, he's all over that one with some majorly freaky contributions

I look forward to meeting him when he is resurrected
    John 5:28
    Acts 24:15
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Rest in peace, Bernie.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Absolutely love his work on The Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense. It was a surprise and a bit weird for me seeing him on the Late Show with David Letterman playing with the house band. Made me wish instead of going to commercials they would show the band playing for those few minutes.

Rest in Peace, Bernie.
    A good friend got to jam with him at a bar one night, completely impromptu. Great story.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    A good friend got to jam with him at a bar one night, completely impromptu. Great story.
    Waiting to hear it!

Here's his FB post.

RIP Bernie Worrell ! I guess heaven needed another funkateer. A true genius. I had the pleasure of meeting and playing with him and Gary Shider when they walked into the bar I was playing at long ago one Thursday night in Tivoli, NY. Our jazz band Rebop was just finishing our set and I look over and there they were walking in. They were recording in the area and came out for a drink. I introduced myself to Bernie and told him I had just got his solo album and he was so excited. We had a beer and talked about music and Tony Williams who played drums on some tracks. Then he asked if it was ok if he could play a few tunes. He said their drummer wasn't there and asked if I wanted to play. We did a 20 minute version of Maggot Brain then into Cosmic Slop. Talk about a magical musical moment....here I am in a tiny bar in a tiny town jamming with funk legends... yes there is a Santa Claus and his name is Dr Woo !!! In the words of George Clinton .".I promise to funk promise to keep it's promise you'll keep the funk"
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

I look forward to meeting him when he is resurrected
    John 5:28
    Acts 24:15
    And you are quite confident that he is looking forward to meeting you?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Here's his FB post.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    well, at the moment he is not conscious so as to be "looking forward" to anything
    but beside that, he will just be ecstatic to be young again in the restored Eden
    meeting me will be a non-event
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Just saw him in the Meryl Streep movie in her band.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    well, at the moment he is not conscious so as to be "looking forward" to anything
    but beside that, he will just be ecstatic to be young again in the restored Eden
    meeting me will be a non-event
    Good point!

Damn, i went away for a few days and missed this bit of news, so sorry to hear he lost the battle.
    RIP Mr Worrell.