Thread: Rosfest 2013 Bands- Where Do I Begin?

Rosfest 2013 Bands- Where Do I Begin?

Now that the bands for Rosfest 2013 have all been announced, it is time to pick up some new CDs to get ready for May 2013. Can everyone please recommend essential CDs from these bands in order to get prepared? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

Shadow Gallery - "Room V"
    Pain of Salvation - "Remedy Lane" (although listening to this you may be disappointed in their performance )
    Riverside - "Second Life Syndrome"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm so in this thread.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Still one more band on Friday to be announced.

For me with Riverside it would be Anno Domini High Definition. "Egoist Hedonist" in particular. I may try to get to this one this year, as I'm only a couple hours from Gettysburg.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Riverside will have a new CD out before RosFest, so budget for that, too.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

MoeTar only has one CD so far (and it's great!), so that's an easy choice.
    Jolly only has 2 out. I'd probably recommend the more recent one, but I like them both a lot.
    I love Asturias, but many of their CDs are pretty hard to find or very expensive if you can locate copies. Of those that are readily available, I think I'm feeling partial to Brilliant Streams at the moment.
    These three bands are the ones I'm most looking forward to seeing.
    I've got no suggestions regarding CDs by the others.

I'd get Digital Ghosts from Shadow Gallery because it is their newest (relatively for the band) and since it is the only one with the new singer it will be featured more I'd guess (it was at their show in the Poconos).
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Bolus: 2 albums out. I would probably go with their most recent “Delayed Reaction” as the pick.

Flower Kings: “Stardust We Are” is still my favorite studio disc from these guys, but I pretty much like everything they have put out. If you are looking for an overview, one of their live or compilation albums might do the trick.

Jolly: 2 albums out. I think their best is the most recent, “The Audio Guide To Happiness”.

Pain Of Salvation: I have most of their studio output. This one is tough to pick a favorite, but I would probably go with “Remedy Lane” from 2002.

Believe: Don’t know much about them.

Riverside: I love all of their albums, so this is another tough pick. I guess I will still go with their first one “Out Of Myself” as my pick.

Dream The Electric Sleep: Only have one album out. A concept album about the life of coal miners. Great stuff IMO.

Moetar: Only one album out, but a great one.

Asturias: This band is a totally mystery to me, so don’t know.

Shadow Gallery: I have several albums, but not all of them. I would probably go with “Tyranny” from 1998 as their best.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Shadow Gallery: I have several albums, but not all of them. I would probably go with “Tyranny” from 1998 as their best.
    Steve Sly
    For Shadow Gallery, I'd go with Legacy, for me it's their most consistent album, and has less of those "ballady" sections of some of their recent albums. I doubt many agree with me on that though. Next I'd go with Carved in Stone.

For Flower Kings, Stardust We Are is a great choice, but I'd go with what I think is their masterwork, "Unfold the Future", not a weak track on it to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    For Shadow Gallery, I'd go with Legacy, for me it's their most consistent album, and has less of those "ballady" sections of some of their recent albums. I doubt many agree with me on that though. Next I'd go with Carved in Stone.

For Flower Kings, Stardust We Are is a great choice, but I'd go with what I think is their masterwork, "Unfold the Future", not a weak track on it to my ears.
    "Legacy" is one of the albums that I don't have, so can't judge that one. I would agree that "Carved In Stone" is a good one. It was my introduction to the band back in the day.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm so in this thread.
    Really?

I'm so in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Really?
    Yes actually

I know its a bit out of my usual comfort zone but I'm thinking of going to ROSfest this year as I'm a fan of Riverside, POS, MoeTar & Asturia and I'd like to see a bunch of friends there. However I know pretty much nothing about the rest of the bands.

I think I'd have fun. I'll be the guy wearing the Univers Zero & Got RIO? T's.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think I'd have fun. I'll be the guy wearing the Univers Zero & Got RIO? T's.
    You will have a blast, its a very fun crowd. The after parties alone make it worth going to, they can be pretty epic.

No More Opinions?

Bump.

No one else with CD advice?

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Bump.

Library Jon
    It's pretty well summarized above, esp. by SteveSly. I've observed that most Rosfest bands (and bands in general) tend to focus the most on their most recent album in their live setlist, so it's always a good bet to get their latest release if you want to be familiar with a lot of what they're going to play live.

For the 3 headliners, that means: Flower Kings - Flowers of Eden, a CD I really love! Riverside - their new one Shrine of New Generation Slaves (SONGS) comes out 2/5 in the U.S.; and Shadow Gallery would be Digital Ghosts (2009), though I don't know if they've got a new one coming out before Rosfest. Also, Jolly is about to release their 3rd CD, so look for that one very soon.

Also note that the Rosfest website has a "Media/Audio" page with some downloads from the bands. And you can pick up free downloads at a number of their own websites. I got a bunch of Believe's tracks from their catalog, and DTES offered their entire (sole) album as a free download! And a rocking album it is -- I'm really looking forward to their set.

Enjoy and see you at the show! Peace, Scott

Also, Believe have just announced that they'll be releasing a new CD at the end of April, right before Rosfest, so you can expect a lot of that material to be in their setlist.

Pick One!

My first batch of Rosfest 2013 bands purchases will be: Pain of Salvation, Believe, Moetar, and Shadow Gallery. Guys, pick one from each band. I already have all the Flower Kings and Riverside CDs.

Library Jon

Well MoeTar only has one album and it is wonderful.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Bump.
    Library Jon
    Jon - You should join the RoSfest group on Facebook. Someone created a Spotify playlist of the RoSfest 2013 bands, so you just click 'play', sit back and enjoy.

I've been listening to Dream the Electric Sleep - Lost and Gone Forever

This is a very good CD...........Give it a shot...........verrrrryyyyy goooooood.