Thread: Keyboard question

Keyboard question

Just listened to The Royal Scam by Steely Dan and on Fez they used this keyboard that you could hear on a lot of records in the second half of the 70's , (mix of organ and string-section sound) it's among other records featured quite heavily on Black & Blue by The Stones. Does anyone know what it is?

Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Probably an ARP Solina.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Thanx For your replies
    I don't think it's the Crumar , but it depends surely on the settings. There is a promo video of Fool to cry where Jagger plays the opening melody with this sound but you can't see the brand name on the keyboard.

Fagen used to layer keyboards to create unique timbres - I believe it's his L100 and maybe a Solina layered...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Fagen used to layer keyboards to create unique timbres - I believe it's his L100 and maybe a Solina layered...
    That must be it, definetely the Solina string sound plus the Hammond in the higher register (??), sounds a bit like fairground carousel music. I haven't heard this sound on newer records.

Solina demo

Stones Fool to cry

Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Yes, sounds like any of the usual suspects from the time period (Solina, Crumar). (Another one not mentioned is what I have...the Elka Rhapsody).
    It does sound like a blend of organ and string machine. But I did the Fender Rhodes in the song too (or is it a Wurlitzer?).