Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Case For 1971 As Rock's Greatest Year

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well 40 out of my list is very respectable, if I may say...

yeah, you & I are fairly different beasts... you're a fair bit folkier than I...

Never heard of Pacheco & Alexander, though... What do they sound like??
    Thank you Trane. I have a couple of friends who've lent me or made me copies of all sorts of obscure stuff over the years so I've been lucky enough to hear a smorgasbord of sounds & styles. I've liked lot, been indifferent to most & positively disliked a few bits & bobs. But I'm always on the lookout for something new so it's been an interesting journey.

Tom Pacheco & Sharon Alexander were a duo who were originally half of the band Euphoria. They were romantically linked & their musical partnership ended with their relationship. They played in a typically late 60s/early 70s high tempo acoustic folk rock style. What set them apart was the quality of Tom's writing. He resurfaced in the mid seventies with a couple of well regarded (in retrospect, at least!) albums on RCA (The Outsider & Swallowed Up In The Great American Heartland), where his erstwhile high-pitched nasel voice had become much gruffer. He disappeared again for a decade & a half before turning up in Ireland with the Eagle In The Rain record. Since then he's released new music regularly, his most recent, Boomtown, just last year. Weirdly, his biggest success has been in Norway where where he charted on a number of occasions, including a number one single, during the nineties. Good old Norway!

Anyway back to your stuff, I'm checking out Broselmaschine & Parzival on Scrotum Scissors' suggestion. Anything else you think I might like?

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    !

Anyway back to your stuff, I'm checking out Broselmaschine & Parzival on Scrotum Scissors' suggestion. Anything else you think I might like?
    I've only kept the more pastoral/folky stuff in my list

13 Genesis Nursery Cryme Eng 1971 >> 12 strings
    13 Hoelderlin Hoelderlin's Traum Ger 1971 >> This belongs with Parzival and Bröselmachine >> even better IMHO
    13 Jan Dukes de Grey Mice and Rats in the Loft Eng 1971 >> no words for this piece of lunacy >> not as folky as their debut, but certainly crazier
    13 Parzival Legend Ger 1971
    12 Bröselmaschine Bröselmaschine Ger 1971
    12 Comus Diana (EP) Eng 1971 >> as nuts as JDDG, but blood-chilling
    12 Harper, Roy Stormcock Eng 1971 >> his best IMHO
    12 Jethro Tull Aqualung Eng 1971 >> still some good folk rock in there
    12 Pentangle Reflection Eng 1971 >> My fave from them
    12 Spirogyra St. Radigunds Eng 1971 >> This one and their third album (Shambles) are amazing psych/Prog/Acid folk rock
    12 Strawbs From the Witchwood Eng 1971
    11 Fuchsia Fuchsia Eng 1971 >> close to very early ELO and a dash of Gryphon
    11 Subway Subway Var 1971 >> if there is only one unearthed gem in this list, this will be it >> 300 vinyls pressed, half of them burned down in a warehouse >> stunning stuff
    11 Wigwam Fairyport Fin 1971 >> Wigwam was a schizophrenic band, with one JR/F side, the other being much folkier.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    1971 was amazing.....but 1972 and 1973 were even better.
    For sure! All kinds of styles of rock music got their peek in 72 and 73.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    1971 was amazing.....but 1972 and 1973 were even better.
    Word!

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I've only kept the more pastoral/folky stuff in my list

13 Genesis Nursery Cryme Eng 1971 >> 12 strings
    13 Hoelderlin Hoelderlin's Traum Ger 1971 >> This belongs with Parzival and Bröselmachine >> even better IMHO
    13 Jan Dukes de Grey Mice and Rats in the Loft Eng 1971 >> no words for this piece of lunacy >> not as folky as their debut, but certainly crazier
    13 Parzival Legend Ger 1971
    12 Bröselmaschine Bröselmaschine Ger 1971
    12 Comus Diana (EP) Eng 1971 >> as nuts as JDDG, but blood-chilling
    12 Harper, Roy Stormcock Eng 1971 >> his best IMHO
    12 Jethro Tull Aqualung Eng 1971 >> still some good folk rock in there
    12 Pentangle Reflection Eng 1971 >> My fave from them
    12 Spirogyra St. Radigunds Eng 1971 >> This one and their third album (Shambles) are amazing psych/Prog/Acid folk rock
    12 Strawbs From the Witchwood Eng 1971
    11 Fuchsia Fuchsia Eng 1971 >> close to very early ELO and a dash of Gryphon
    11 Subway Subway Var 1971 >> if there is only one unearthed gem in this list, this will be it >> 300 vinyls pressed, half of them burned down in a warehouse >> stunning stuff
    11 Wigwam Fairyport Fin 1971 >> Wigwam was a schizophrenic band, with one JR/F side, the other being much folkier.
    Thanks for this. I'll look forward to exploring! I've just picked up the Broselmaschine album. On a cursory listen, I reckon it's a keeper.