Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Glass Hammer - Valkyrie

A very good album instrumentally. I'm put-off by Bogdanowicz's vocals. I prefer her as backing singer.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    A very good album instrumentally. I'm put-off by Bogdanowicz's vocals. I prefer her as backing singer.
    That's a shame... I think she has a terrific voice, whether it's the gentler stuff or the more powerful. In fact, it's her that makes the closing track as strong as it is, to my ears.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Album is terrific, including the vocals. Wonder why they didn't ask Walter Moore back? Maybe he's busy. Agree that Susie's vocals on the last song are really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Or if you have a smart phone you can put the files on that and play it out of there into your computer via the headphone jack or better yet, out of the phone into a headphone amp digitally (via the lightning connector on an iPhone for example) and out of there into your stereo. The hi-def files can be played via an app on the phone like the Onkyo Hi-def Music Player app.

But actually in this case, since it's 24/44.1 and not 24/88 or 24/96, you can play the file right out of iTunes or the Android equivalent because 24bit can be played without special gear.
    Yes, the 24/44.1 files can be "played" on just about any device, but they'll be down-sampled to 16 bit on most. The DAC built into most devices is only capable of handling 16/44.1 and 16/48. Even the Onkyo Hi-Def Player will down-sample unless used with the Onkyo Headphone amp, or other external DAC hardware.

DVD players are a different story however. Most built fairly recently are capable of playing DVDs with Hi-Res PCM audio, hence my previous suggestion of using AudioMuxer to create a Hi-Res DVD. That's why many reissue albums on CD come with a DVD containing Hi-Res audio. Most people can play it in that format.
    Last edited by progmatist; 10-02-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I finally got around to spinning it. I was doing things around the house so I couldn't fully concentrate but so far my early response is that I think it is stunningly good. I look forward to some dedicated listening now.

Upon further trial and error, I found AudioMuxer won't create Hi-Res DVDs. In the past, I've only used it to create Blu-Rays, for which it works great. Unfortunately, there is no free way to create Hi-Res DVDs, only paid software.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Not very fond of the instrumental parts, but that's my perspective on them since Ode To Echo.

The thing I like the most on this are the male vocals.

I'll be dissappointed if they hire somebody else on the next album.

So:

EITHER DO IT WITH THIS SAME LINE-UP OR MAKE AN ALBUM WHERE ONLY THE TWO FOUNDING MEMBERS SING THE LEAD.

We've heard Fred Schendel from time to time (since 2009) but I don't think Steve Babb has sung the lead since 2009. And I just can't understand why. He's got such an interesting vocal tone.

I've been listening to this album continually since it arrived. I think it's fantastic. The whole concept of the Valkyrie really comes together in the music for me. One of my favorites of 2016 easily.

I finally got a chance to give this one a few listens. Fred mentioned earlier that this was a "go big or go home" album. They definitely went big. Maybe it's not as epic as The Inconsolable Secret, but it's still a solid concept album with songs that work together as a whole. I like that it's more synth heavy than the last few albums. Having Steve and Fred handling all of the male vocals actually reminded me of their early albums, which was a bit of a shock at first. They did a pretty descent job, but I still would have liked Carl Groves on board.

NEXUS GIRL from Valkyrie - turned out to be a fan favorite. I like to think of it as a "micro-epic" <g>

I'm quite pleased with the album. If I'm being honest, I don't care for, and have never much cared for, Fred and Steve's vocals. They aren't bad, of course, but they kept me from really getting into the band prior to Davison (Walter Moore was good, but also lacked that certain "something" for me in the vocal department). In any case, I've learned to focus on the music and not pay as much attention to the vocal parts I don't care for. Susie sounds great and I'm very happy she has more presence on this album........I think she should sing most of the lead. That said, it's just my opinion and I hope the guys do whatever they want to do, as a lot of people seem to enjoy their vocals. For me, they don't detract from the music anymore, but I still prefer them with a dedicated lead singer (like Davison or Groves......or even Susie).

For me at least, Susie is the secret sauce that makes Valkyrie such a winner. Fantastic record. Fred and Steve are decent vocalists but having a true "lead" singer elevates their music big time.
    The Prog Corner

Actually I have no problems at all with Fred and Steve as vocalists. They're both fantastic musicians and composers -- if they could belt out vocals like Jon Anderson, it just wouldn't be fair.

In all seriousness, I think their singing is very good on Valkyrie.

Their singing has improved over the course of their career. It's still not outstanding (few are), but it's competent and musical. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the music. Susie is a nice addition in that respect, yes. This album is growing on me.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Their singing has improved over the course of their career. It's still not outstanding (few are), but it's competent and musical. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the music. Susie is a nice addition in that respect, yes. This album is growing on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    -- if they could belt out vocals like Jon Anderson, it just wouldn't be fair.

Valkyrie.
    Right...you get it! We're just holding back to keep things fair! <g>

I've quite liked the varied singers over time .... very Alan Parsons Project-esque. Though AP always seemed to take pleasure in noting that Woolfson wasn't a 'real singer'.

Love, love this album. I'm a long time fan of the Chattanooga proggers and this album is getting close to overtaking The Inconsolable Secret for me as my favorite in their pretty fab catalog post 1999. I've been listening to the 24bit versions from Bandcamp of late on my system at home and all sound fantastic. I seem to remember Steve posting some time back that the 24bit albums that are up on Bandcamp are the ones they have hi resolution files for. Steve, any chance we'll see 16bit flac postings on Bandcamp of the rest of the GH catalog?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Valkyrie is my first GH purchase. I bought it to get ready for their show at Terra Incognita. I'm totally impressed with this album, surpassing whatever expectations I have. I just bought a second GH album this weekend (The Inconsolable Secret).
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-06-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Last weekend I took the long drive (400 miles) from Halifax NS to Quebec City to go see Glass Hammer at the Terra Incognita Prog Festival.

I arrived Saturday afternoon right on time to see the opening act Universe Effects (F who are a young french Canadian band and have a couple of CD releases with a significant following inside Quebec but pretty much no where else. They have a heavy Dream Theater influence, their original songs have a balance of instrumentals with vocals but I must admit I did not enjoy the singer who has a very low tone voice and was definitely tested (and failed) when they played a Genesis cover of Firth of Fifth but that allowed the keyboardist and guitarist to shine. Fine band but I don't see them beyond the Quebec borders and weird enough they do sing in English that is not accent free.
    After an hour or so intermission, it was turn to see Edensong from the USA, by what the singer/guitarist said, they had played the Festival before and loved the Quebec audience. And actually Quebec has a pretty faithful and devoted Prog audience. They also have strong influences mainly from Jethro Tull, most of their set was original material, great harmonies and impressive tempo and some King Crimson sounds here and there.

GLASS HAMMER was the headliner and they sure were worth the wait and long trip. The band with Susie Bogdanowicz on lead vocals were impressive from the opening notes of the war sound effects of Nazi Germany that echoed in the darkened background as they took the stage and played VALKYRIE in its entirety. Flawless playing by the Mastermind of Glass Hammer Mr. Steve Babb who I later had the huge pleasure to meet and greet. Also amazing playing by the powerful and bombastic keyboard Whiz Fred Schendel who carried a large gear of keys supported by Alan Shikoh on guitar and Aaron Raulston on a solid drum kit. The set continued with a Medley of Inconsolable Secret, Ode to Echo and Chronometree. We got two encores, the very last song was from Three Cheers for the Broken-hearted that slowed the pace and closed a wonderful evening.

Steve and Fred were very kind after the show and very pleasant to talk with mostly about prog music, touring and future plans. Steve Babb had very kind words about remembering Chris Squire and how Chris was always picking up the tab for everyone like on the Cruise. Steve feels GH have now solidified their lineup and have a very close knit band as a five piece, which could open the door to more tours. Something like what happened with Alan Parsons that took some time but finally became a touring unit after decades of studio recording with multiple singers and session musicians. Steve also mentioned that they produce country artists and other rock acts at their studio in Chattanooga TN and are looking forward to the upcoming Cruise to the Edge.
    I took some up close front row pictures I will soon post here and share with the Progressive ears community, great band and 100% American Prog!
    Leo
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Glad you enjoyed GH and like you have travelled hundreds of miles to see them. They are on my short list of favorite American symph bands. I've also seen Edensong and was impressed. Some year I hope to attend TI.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Glad you enjoyed GH and like you have travelled hundreds of miles to see them. They are on my short list of favorite American symph bands. I've also seen Edensong and was impressed. Some year I hope to attend TI.
    I had a great time at TI Fest and hope to do it again next year, hope to see you there!

Great festival and we played (2014) before GH who were excellent people. A cherished memory!