Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genuine theory about Iron Maiden

Who's your favorite Maiden guitarist? Adrien Smith is my fave. Killer guitarist. Very melodic and strong. His crunch rhythm playing is top notch.

Dave Murray is mine. He does the best trills...

They never use flashy guitars. No intricate paint jobs. I always thought that was odd considering their mascot and the vast amount of artwork per album.

Fender Maiden.

I like that. Play the guitar you want to play, not the one that looks flashy onstage. There's enough going on with the stage and the pyrotechnics
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yep. Just like any master craftsman, you find the tools that work best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    They never use flashy guitars. No intricate paint jobs. I always thought that was odd considering their mascot and the vast amount of artwork per album.
    That's the idea: have a cartoon character act as the "face" of the band and appear on the record covers, and then the band members can remain normal down-to-earth working class guys next door without compromising the heavy metal spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Who's your favorite Maiden guitarist? Adrien Smith is my fave. Killer guitarist. Very melodic and strong. His crunch rhythm playing is top notch.
    Adrian, no question

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I couldn't possibly answer that, that's like asking someone who's your favourite child?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I couldn't possibly answer that, that's like asking someone who's your favourite child?
    Hah .. anyway the other two ones will never know that my fave is Murray
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Or even better, when all 4 stand and play together, Harris, Murray, Smith, Gers - that's a photo I've taken a few times at IM gigs.

BOC had all 5 members play guitar on stage. Nicko is dropping the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Adrian, no question
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Hah .. anyway the other two ones will never know that my fave is Murray
    same here....but ssshhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    BOC had all 5 members play guitar on stage. Nicko is dropping the ball.
    Not to mention Bruce.... I mean, come on Bruce, even Freddie slung on an axe now and again.

Bruce played a bit of guitar when they played Revelations on Piece of Mind tour.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Bruce played a bit of guitar when they played Revelations on Piece of Mind tour.
    Wow! I didn't know that.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Dennis Stratton!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Just to make sure my fanboy appreciation, for both bands, has achieved maximum saturation:

I'll leave this tribute here for good measure.

I don't know why but I've always had a hard time distinguishing between the Maiden guitarists when they solo. I suppose I'm just not listening to the solos that carefully because I'm too busy galloping.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I don't know why but I've always had a hard time distinguishing between the Maiden guitarists when they solo. I suppose I'm just not listening to the solos that carefully because I'm too busy galloping.
    Thank you! I feel exactly the same way. I consider myself a pretty big fan of the band (own eleven of their albums, Seventh Son being one of my favorite records of all time), and know a decent amount about music (and play guitar myself), but I just cannot distinguish the different guitarists. In fact, I would say that the guitar solos are relatively weak in Maiden overall.

On a side note, the more I listen to The Book of Souls, the more I like it. I don't think there's a single instance of the Iron Maiden Chord Progression...

Well, they should know better by now!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Why are you sorry? I stated I like Trooper Ale, I don't make Trooper Ale.
    excellent point, wish i had one right now. (scratch that, if i'm wishing for something it would be a winning mega powerball ticket then i can have all of the Trooper anytime i want).