Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: Porcupine Tree - Signify

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    I know full well that I'm in the (likely, vast) minority of PT fans who love everything in their catalogue. That being said, the reason why this is so high on my list is that it seemingly bridges the gap between the 'spacey' material (OtSoL- TSMS) and the more 'song- oriented' latter period.
    I'm with you on this!

My first album by Porcupine Tree, absolutely love Dark Matter. Thinking of that track alone makes me want to seek out, when wallet allows, other PT albums. Only have about 5 albums by them but Signify and Deadwing are my go to PT albums.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    I know full well that I'm in the (likely, vast) minority of PT fans who love everything in their catalogue. That being said, the reason why this is so high on my list is that it seemingly bridges the gap between the 'spacey' material (OtSoL- TSMS) and the more 'song- oriented' latter period.
    I like everything they've done to a point. I particularly like the earlier stuff simply because that was my first exposure. You have to admit though that in contrast to a lot of modern music, Porcupine Tree had a very diverse catalog in their first 10 years before the sameness that set in around Deadwing.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I could do without Light Mass Prayers though. A pointless track if I ever heard one.
    there were a lot of seemingly useless tracks on the earlier albums when taken on their own but in the context of the album I couldn't imagine Signify without Light Mass Prayers.

In Absentia and this are my favorite, and only enduring, PT.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Love it.

Let me jump into the " my first introduction to P Tree and still one of my favorites" fray!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

BEST PORCUPINE TREE ALBUM EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! *bounce bounce bounce bounce*

Really, Dark Matter and Every Home Is Wired are the best Porcupine Tree tracks I've ever heard. The album is dark, beautiful and haunting. I love it!

For fans of this era of PT history you MUST see this appearance on Italian TV. The performance doesn't happen til about 8 minutes in, but it's a real time warp.

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The earliest PT album that I like. Sever and Waiting are great tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Stupid Dream was the final nail in the coffin. And ensures that I have no use for Wilson’s solo work, either. What an overrated mediocrity.
    +1

Heh. There are some creative ways of saying "his old stuff was better" in this thread.

Given the fevered appreciation for all things PT that has gone on for years on PE, I'm a little shocked at those that think this or Stupid Dream was when the band went downhill (that would be The Incident). What next, the reappearance of Omega Monkey?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This is the era of PT that I love. The songs "Waiting" and "Dark Matter" stand out.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

!st and favorite PT CD. This came out during the post progressive wasteland period and was one of the releases that restimulated the prog vibe for me

I prefer the two albums that came before it but I'm a huge fan of this one too. My oldest daughter loves the album art and the band as well.
    Funny she told me last week that she dreamed she met Steven Wilson and told him she was a big fan but he just turned and walked away(haha). Every Home Is Wired, Sever, Dark Matter and especially Waiting are some of my favourite tracks.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Every Home Is Wired, Sever, Dark Matter and especially Waiting are some of my favourite tracks.
    These are *the* best tracks on the album, I think. Pity he didn't develop at all from this formula afterwards, just kept flogging until even the cadaver resisted.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm a little shocked at those that think this or Stupid Dream was when the band went downhill
    Likewise. That makes as little sense as... avoiding Steven's solo stuff based on Stupid Dream, as if they're anything alike.