So they say.
    Nov 13 - Yoshis ...Oakland
    Nov 14 - Santa Cruz
    Nov 18 or 19 - San Diego

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Suh-WEEEET! Take my money!

Yoshi's already has it up on their event calendar: http://www.yoshis.com/event/1509920-brand-x-oakland/
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post

Yoshi's already has it up on their event calendar: http://www.yoshis.com/event/1509920-brand-x-oakland/
    Oh yes, yes, yes!!!!! I'm there!

Nov 14 - Santa Cruz
    Nov 18 or 19 - San Diego
    Cool. Well enjoy them in California.

I'm in Seattle, which they did mention was a possibility. Hopefully they will make it up here.

Ticket purchased today for Yoshi's!

Yoshi's couldn't find a more recent Brand X photo? That one's 40 years old.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Yoshi's couldn't find a more recent Brand X photo? That one's 40 years old.
    The Yoshi's people are more into straight jazz. Brand X falls into that weird "fusion" category that they don't really get (even though they consistently book people like Al Di Meola.) But when they saw that Phil Collins was once in the band they obviously said, "Yeah, make sure the blurb says that Phil Collins was once in the band. And make sure the photo has him in it too!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The Yoshi's people are more into straight jazz. Brand X falls into that weird "fusion" category that they don't really get (even though they consistently book people like Al Di Meola.) But when they saw that Phil Collins was once in the band they obviously said, "Yeah, make sure the blurb says that Phil Collins was once in the band. And make sure the photo has him in it too!"
    They USED to be more into straight Jazz, but these days there's a lot more R&B and vocal acts, frankly. They've had a somewhat steady fusion thing all along, but their bread and butter used to be more acoustic instrumental small group Jazz.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Nov 18 or 19 - San Diego
    Tucson or Phoenix is only a 5 hour drive away...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The Egg in Albany NY was announced for October 12th. And apparently they have a new drummer, Kenny Grahowski?

How good are they now, live, VS in their prime?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Too be honest I wasn't too impressed when I saw them last year but I don't have anything to compare to what they used to be like.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Got my ticket for Yoshi's....Rapidfire and I will be there.......fo sho'.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Got my ticket for Yoshi's....Rapidfire and I will be there.......fo sho'.
    You've done the absolute right thing! On to Chick Corea this Saturday!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Too be honest I wasn't too impressed when I saw them last year but I don't have anything to compare to what they used to be like.
    Interesting that someone can go to the exact same show and have a completely different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    And apparently they have a new drummer, Kenny Grahowski?

Here's a show with the new drummer, I thought they were insanely brilliant.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Certainly bit of a fanboy- I saw them in the 70's at the Cellar Door in DC and couple times more recently. If you want a complete breakdown, strictly IMO- No they are not as good as they were in their prime...but I saw Paul McCartney last year and the show blew me away ...but he wasn't as good as he was in the Beatles . Percy Jones is as good as ever, if not better. John Goodsall can be a bit sloppy (always was), but still plays great, especially after warming up. Kenwood Dennard, was a bit too much on the snare these days for me, but this new guy Kenny is great. Chris Clark does Robin Lumley's parts flawlessly. Scott Weinberger, who I am pretty sure put the thing together, will never replace Morris Pert - but he does the job sufficiently and bravo for him.

The video posted, per usual, has horrible audio. The sound was much much better than what you hear there. So don't use that as a gage, but is certainly nice to see since I was there.
    Last edited by Proghound; 08-16-2017 at 07:48 PM.

October 12th, The Egg in Albany NY!!!! Tickets on sale to Egg members only (and yes, I already have mine). Not sure when they go on sale to the public.

I've never seen Brand X live, very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I've never seen Brand X live, very excited.
    Just caught them last night for the first time. Wow! I was impressed. The venue was ideal. A comfortable club in Ithaca, NY with plenty of room since there were only about 50 people in attendance. But that didn't deter the band. They were having a great time, and they played their butts off. It was very exciting to hear some of their superb compositions including Disco Suicide, Malaga Virgen, Born Ugly, and Nuclear Burn. If you're going to see them in a small club and you have sensitive ears, be prepared. They play very loud.

The Brand X at the DNA Lounge on the XCommunication tour trounced the two later versions I caught when Goodsall was reputed to be having substance abuse problems.
    Hoping the show at Yoshi's will be great. Have to agree that Yoshi's has been booking a lot of processed cheese, maybe this keeps the place going,(frequently some real gaggers are sold out). To be fair though the place put on some good head warping shows e.g. Gateway, Holdsworth, Nels Cline Singers, John Zorn, Secret Chiefs 3, Spectrum Road, Larry Coryell, Mark Ribot, Gerry Hemingway and Polytown to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    The Egg in Albany NY was announced for October 12th. And apparently they have a new drummer, Kenny Grahowski?
    I saw them tonight in Buffalo, and Kenny is a monster. Great show.

neil

If you like the 70s Brand X albums then you should love the show. They played those tunes with utter conviction.

I liked the new drummer better than Kennwood. He lit a fire under there asses!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    The Brand X at the DNA Lounge on the XCommunication tour trounced the two later versions I caught when Goodsall was reputed to be having substance abuse problems.
    Hoping the show at Yoshi's will be great. Have to agree that Yoshi's has been booking a lot of processed cheese, maybe this keeps the place going,(frequently some real gaggers are sold out). To be fair though the place put on some good head warping shows e.g. Gateway, Holdsworth, Nels Cline Singers, John Zorn, Secret Chiefs 3, Spectrum Road, Larry Coryell, Mark Ribot, Gerry Hemingway and Polytown to name a few.
    I saw them at the DNA as well, and at the San Jose Cabaret some days later. I missed them back in the day though, and am really excited to be seeing them do all the older tunes!

Hope to see them at The Birchmere 9/20 along with The Jane Getter Premonition
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Brand X at the Birchmere last night was just fine.
    Seeing Percy Jones live was worth every penny.
    The band was pretty tight. The sound was muddy.
    Unfortunately the Birchmere is hard for loud bands with lots of layers.
    The percussion really takes over.
    They were very good percussion wise.
    Goodsall did a reasonable job, better than the last time I saw him in the 90's.
    Jane Getter Premonition, less than the sum of the parts. With Mark Egon, Adam Holtzman, and Alex Skolnick it should have been better.
    Sound issues and weak vocals.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain