Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bruford's drum solo on Yessongs' "Perpetual Change"

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    IMHO the best solo ever recorded is Keith Moon' solo in Won't Get Fooled Again

...and definitive version from TKAA the movie & soundtrack
    I cant imagine two great drummers being more different than Bruford and Moon, in every way.

I was at the Union show in NY when Bruford's electronics failed. But I did not realize it was a technical issue - I thought he was only using the snare on purpose! I remember some others around me thought the same - "wow look at him, he's that good, he can solo with only one drum and it sounds great" Years later I read his book wherein he mentioned that gig and he thought that moment was a bit of a disaster. I thought "wow all these years I thought he did that on purpose"

I sometimes play a TD-30 kit live myself but always bring some bare bones of a traditional kit, with that MSG gig in my mind as I pack up my gear.
    By the way I always liked that drum solo on Yessongs. I always enjoy the Peart solos. Perhaps the only drum solo I did not enjoy was at a Fleetwood Mac show where Fleetwood had some vest he wore with little trigger sample pads all over it and he ran around the stage playing a drum solo with his fingers. It was quite ridiculous. I guess every drummer wants to have his moment at the front of the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by elliottnow View Post
    Go to 1:05:37. Bruford only has snare and cymbals to work with.
    Honestly, he sounds better there than with all that electronic shit.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Perhaps the only drum solo I did not enjoy was at a Fleetwood Mac show where Fleetwood had some vest he wore with little trigger sample pads all over it and he ran around the stage playing a drum solo with his fingers. It was quite ridiculous. I guess every drummer wants to have his moment at the front of the stage.
    When was that? I remember the drummer from Golden Earring doing that in a concert I saw on MTV in the mid 80's, but he just stood on a riser behind his drumkit (because there was about a dozen cables leading out of the back of the jacket, I imagine).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I have heard him solo with Earthworks. Excellent.
    He kind of solos on KC: Red: One More Red Nightmare.
    There's a solo on Land's End (Gradually Going Tornado). Only about 15 seconds, but it's there!

There is a drum solo on Bruford's album If Summer Had Its Ghosts. Song Some Other Time is just drums. It is quite nice piece I think.

Yeah, I have that album, I'll have to check out that track.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    There is a drum solo on Bruford's album If Summer Had Its Ghosts. Song Some Other Time is just drums. It is quite nice piece I think.
    Isn't that track a direct copy of a drum solo by Joe Morello from the Dave Brubeck Quartet? So it isn't an improvised BB solo.

I can't think of any other examples where a drum solo has been copied by another drummer, beat for beat, but I'm sure they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Isn't that track a direct copy of a drum solo by Joe Morello from the Dave Brubeck Quartet? So it isn't an improvised BB solo.
    Really? I did not know that. And now that I checked the sleeve it is indeed credited to "Bruford/Morello".
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Right, I looked at the liner notes last night, and he confirms that. Not my type of drum solo, though, and it doesn't fit the sound of the rest of the album.

That Perpetual Chains solo is just him growing up in public. By contrast, check out the brief but very tasty and subtle solo during “My Heart Declares a Holiday” on the first Earthworks album – you could swear it’s a different drummer.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Right, I looked at the liner notes last night, and he confirms that. Not my type of drum solo, though, and it doesn't fit the sound of the rest of the album.
    Oh, I thought that it fit perfectly.