Thread: Todmobile & SinfoniaNord feat. Steve Hackett - Supper's Ready

Todmobile & SinfoniaNord feat. Steve Hackett - Supper's Ready

Wow. That was really nice. Thanks for posting!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is Todmobile what that guy calls himself?

Wow, that WAS very good!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 06-20-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is Todmobile what that guy calls himself?
    Todmobile is an Icelandic pop/rock band. The guy's name is Andrea Gylfadóttir. SinfoniaNord is also an Icelandic symphony orchestra.

Holy shit!

What a great way to start the week. Expect Tony Banks is probably sitting somewhere watching that with a VERY sad panda face.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Amazing how they can still show me the power and beauty in a tune I've probably heard a hundred times. You can see how delighted Steve is all the way through. And Eyþór Ingi Gunnlaugsson's vocal performance is damn impressive: without imitating Peter or even particularly sounding like him, he brings the song to life and makes it his own; his accent is slight and not really a problem. The female "soul" vocals are a nice touch as well - not overdone and adding to the effect without pulling the music out of shape.

My criticisms are small: Eyþór does both Peter's and Phil's vocal bits in "Willow Farm" and a few other places, and I wish someone else had done Phil's - it throws the dramatic intention off to have one guy singing both parts. I also thought the orchestra was a bit underutilized, and I can't help wondering what it would have sounded like if someone as good as George Martin had done the arrangements.

One quibble: Todmobile's current vocalist is Eyþór Ingi Gunnlaugsson, and he appears in this video. Andrea Gylfadóttir was their former vocalist.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 06-20-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Amazing how they can still show me the power and beauty in a tune I've probably heard a hundred times. You can see how delighted Steve is all the way through. And Eyþór Ingi Gunnlaugsson's vocal performance is damn impressive: without imitating Peter or even particularly sounding like him, he brings the song to life and makes it his own; his accent is slight and not really a problem. The female "soul" vocals are a nice touch as well - not overdone and adding to the effect without pulling the music out of shape.

My criticisms are small: Eyþór does both Peter's and Phil's vocal bits in "Willow Farm" and a few other places, and I wish someone else had done Phil's - it throws the dramatic intention off to have one guy singing both parts. I also thought the orchestra was a bit underutilized, and I can't help wondering what it would have sounded like if someone as good as George Martin had done the arrangements.

One quibble: Todmobile's current vocalist is Eyþór Ingi Gunnlaugsson, and he appears in this video. Andrea Gylfadóttir was their former vocalist.
    Agree on pretty much all your comments. His accent wasn't a problem at all - not sure I noticed it, but that's rarely a problem for me. Usually the opposite.

The female vocals were brief and worked pretty well, and I thought the orchestra worked well too.

Extremely enjoyable rendition. The choral parts really add something special.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Here's more:

If you have not seen Toadmoabile with Jon Anderson doing Awaken I urge all of you to see it. I think it was the most impressive version of Awaken ever done (including a group called Yes).

Wow! What more can I say? This is really great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    And Eyþór Ingi Gunnlaugsson's vocal performance is damn impressive: without imitating Peter or even particularly sounding like him, he brings the song to life and makes it his own; his accent is slight and not really a problem.
    He's really fantastic. Sounds nothing really like Gabriel, but still brings the passion and gives a believable performance. Probably the best part of the whole thing, and I really like everything about it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    How is it that an Icelandic pop/rock band came to do this show with Anderson and Hackett? Great stuff.

There is also a rendition of Dancing with the Moonlit Knight (with Hackett) and Day of Independence (with Jon Anderson). Both also have de Wow !! factor.

Very very nice! Such emotion