Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Screw ups, Misinformation and Deus ex Machina in movies and TV

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    So I'm a "pewsitter", eh????

Nah. Actually I'm a fan of C. Hitchens. Haven't been in a pew in years.
    a lot of folks think I am a bible thumper. I tell them that I would probably spontaneously combust just stepping past the threshold into a church...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Van Daniken was a tool.
    He still is. He still turns up on those ancient alien shows on the Science/Discovery/TLC/Whatever channels and he still sounds like a con artist. And he still refuses to admit the blatant dissemination of misinformation he's engaged in.

I have discovered Ancient Aliens the game. It's actually pretty fun-like a SIMS game in the first part, although it treats Egypt and the Pyramid of Giza as a starting point (a hypnotic recall of past lives kind of thing where Giorgio is at a conference. You build this pyramid by having minions running around putting block by block in place and I am wondering how long you are in this trance that you are building the largest Egyptian pyramid).

was reading on survival shows and pretty much everything in them that they say you need for survival is wrong. Basically, the best way to deal with a survival situation is to not do dumb shit to land in one, along with not fretting about finding food, do not drink your own urine, a bed is more important than a roof and avoid drinking from cactuses if you are not familiar with them.

Reminds me of a conversation I had at Borders or BAM with a sales person:
    Me: "What is this?"
    Him: "It's a survival bracelet."
    Me: "Survival? What do you do with it?"
    Him: "It's a rope."
    Me: "A rope? What would I do with a rope?"
    Him: "Let's say you are in a plane crash and survive, you break off the ends and you have a rope!"
    Me: "What would I do with a rope? Hang myself? If I am in a situation where I am stranded in the wilderness, I want a gun! I can at least kill some food with a gun! Seriously, why a rope?"
    Him: "Let's say you came upon a cliff, you could climb down the cliff with the rope."
    Me: "Do I look like I can get my butt down that rope? The cliff ends someplace. I will just walk until I find where the cliff ends and walk down. Besides, I am in New Jersey. If I wind up stuck anyplace, I am not more than 15 minutes from a Wawa. I will just walk until I find a Wawa."
    Him: "You have a point there..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    a survival bracelet
    I just looked this up on the internet and you can buy one from $5.00 up to $28.00. It's a woven cord from 8 or 9 feet long to about 20 feet. I think most dangerous cliffs are more than 20 feet high. Looks more like a fashion statement than a wilderness tool.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I just looked this up on the internet and you can buy one from $5.00 up to $28.00. It's a woven cord from 8 or 9 feet long to about 20 feet. I think most dangerous cliffs are more than 20 feet high. Looks more like a fashion statement than a wilderness tool.
    I think people watch Bear Grylls run around wearing one. It is one of my top idiotic items to buy. It's like one of these things of a bunch of items you would want on a stranded island. I chose from the choices a raft, a flare gun and an iPod...then I would not be stranded on the island any more. Gotta have the iPod for the boredom you know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Didn't know what a Wawa was. Looked it up. I guess it's like a Cumbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Didn't know what a Wawa was. Looked it up. I guess it's like a Cumbies.
    Similar, but better.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Similar, but better.
    Tedeschi's FTW

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Is it what us New Yorkers call a Korean Deli?

^I dunno, do you New Yorkers call a convenience/variety store a Korean deli?

it's a convenience store that started serving cold hoagies and now serves a variety of food-salads, hot hoagies, smoothies, etc.