Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Flight!

They showed one of those claymation Zappa videos.
    A guy who I knew as Deadhead Dan, back in the '90's, gave me a video tape of Frank live in, I believe, 1980, a New Years Eve show. Didn't really get it and I wish I still had that to watch, maybe I'd have a different impression. Anyway, also on that same tape was some claymation stuff. I'm guessing that's Frank Zappa stuff also but I only watched a few seconds or minutes as I had no idea what it was.

He should have bloody told me that, I may have been more interested in it than I was.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    , The Kenny Everett Show
    I remember one episode where he showed a video of, I think it was Toyah Wilcox (aka Mrs. Fripp in these parts), then later showed a clip of himself, in drag as Toyah, basically recreating the entire video, then coming on afterwards and talking about "how much Toyah improved" between the first clip and the second.
    a British comedy called Assaulted Nuts (featuring Tim Brooke-Taylor and Wayne Knight)

Forgot about that one. It was a skit show, and I remember one had Wayne Knight attempting to recite Baa-Baa Black Sheep, but with a woman dressed in dominatrix gear (I think) swatting him with a whip every time he said something "politically incorrect" (eg he had to change "black sheep" to "minority sheep" or something like that). I know that sounds stupid, but it was hilarious in practice.
    that infamous clip of Porky Pig hammering his thumb and swearing
    "Son of a b-b-b-, son of a b-b-b, son of a GUN! Heheheheh! (points towards audience) You thought I was gonna say son of a bitch, didn't you?! "

a spoof dub show called Dyna-Man that used the same footage that was later recycled on [I]Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
    Not quite. Dynaman took a handful of episodes of the Japanese show called Kagaku Sentai Dynaman , and dubbed them over with English comedy dialog and a rock music score. The story I heard was they only did this with six episodes because it turned out licensing the rock music proved too expensive.

Kagaku Sentai Dynaman was, I think something like the fifth or sixth Super Sentai series, originally airing in Japan circa 1984.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers used an early 90's Super Sentai series, Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger. Most of the subsequent Super Sentai series have been adapted into the Power Rangers franchise, with the PR name/cast/costume/etc changes reflecting the shift from one SS series to the next.

But since I imagine most of you don't geek out on this stuff the way I do, I imagine the subtle distinctions therein are probably meaningless.

I remember them showing a weird late 60's movie, part of which hinged on parents of hippies being taught how to smoke pot, apparently in an effort to connect with their kids. I remember one woman being chided by one of the hippies because she's bogarting the joint. She's like "But I have emphysima, I can't hold it like you said" or whatever. Would like to see that one again.

I think they used to show some of the now decidedly politically incorrect propaganda cartoons that were produced during WWII.

Didn't they also show stuff like the Bowery Boys films? I think I saw Dementia 13 on there once too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember them showing a weird late 60's movie, part of which hinged on parents of hippies being taught how to smoke pot, apparently in an effort to connect with their kids. I remember one woman being chided by one of the hippies because she's bogarting the joint. She's like "But I have emphysima, I can't hold it like you said" or whatever. Would like to see that one again.
    Sounds like Wild in the Streets.

I think they used to show some of the now decidedly politically incorrect propaganda cartoons that were produced during WWII.
    Yes! That was the first place I saw the Private Snafu films, which I don’t think were reran anywhere else.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Sounds like Wild in the Streets.
    No, it wasn't Wild In The Streets. Wild In The Streets played more like a jackass propaganda film made by a bunch of "old folks" who were showing their disdain for "the youth of today" (well, the youth of 1968), almost as if it was written by Jack Webb or whoever it was who was responsible for all the similar propaganda pieces on Dragnet and Adam 12. I still can't believe the song The Shapes Of Things To Come was written for that stupid movie.

The one I'm talking about, as best as I can remember, came off more like they were documenting a sincere attempt by adults to "connect" with their hippie children. It was less about looking down your nose at your kids' "strange lifestyle" and more about actually trying to understand it.

Yes! That was the first place I saw the Private Snafu films, which I don’t think were reran anywhere else.
    Well, at the time, they were produced as training films, of a sort, for the military. I'm not sure they were ever actually shown to civilians at the time they were produced. At the time, Night Flight was probably one of the very few venues where they had been seen outside of their original intended place of viewing. And more recently, TCM just ran them a couple years ago, and I have to say, they haven't really aged well. And I'd better stop there before I say something that gets the thread locked.

It wasn’t Skidoo, was it? Jackie Gleason as a mobster who does acid in his jail cell and decides killing is wrong? Ringing any bells?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

It wasn’t Skidoo, was it? Jackie Gleason as a mobster who does acid in his jail cell and decides killing is wrong? Ringing any bells?
    No, I don't think this had anyone famous in it.