Thread: Eric Gillette (from Neal Morse Band) - new album "The Great Unknown"

Eric Gillette (from Neal Morse Band) - new album "The Great Unknown"

Eric Gillette is primarily known so far as the guitarist in the Neal Morse Band. He's in his early 30's and also is very talented on keys and drums. He just released his second solo CD The Great Unknown (https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ericgillette3) and it's fantastic! He decided to employ a killer band to support him including the keyboardist & bassist from Haken and Thomas Lang on drums. I had never heard Lang before, and am blown away by his playing. That Gillette gets to play with Lang and Portnoy as his main drummers speaks volumes.

Fans of the NMB's "The Grand Experiment" will already know some of Eric's abilities from that album. There's certainly some of that vibe on this solo album...for example Eric's songwriting/performing contributions to "Alive Again" on Neal's recording are present throughout here, too.

This is a really impressive album that I think many prog fans will enjoy. The songwriting is solid, and Eric is a great singer as well as a shredding guitarist. Many of the tracks are fairly crunchy in a Haken kind of way, only I think I like it better than Haken actually. The vocals remind me a bit of Benoit David in Mystery, which is a compliment, both in production and phrasing. Lang's drumming takes everything to the next level and he is prominently featured. Check out the 6 minute "The Aftermath" for a good sample of his style. There's also a very well done 18 minute epic called "Escape". All of the tracks are winners and I wouldn't say there's a dud on this album. It's a prog album through and through.

Since first seeing Eric play with Neal a few years ago I figured there would be great things ahead for this young guitar slinger and this album shows that he's well on his way!

I'll have to get this. His last CD (his first?) was great.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I found Gillette very impressive on Morse's latest tour. He seems to be able to play every instrument and he can sing! I love his voice on The Great Experiment, it nicely complements Morse's. Will have to check this out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I found Gillette very impressive on Morse's latest tour. He seems to be able to play every instrument and he can sing! I love his voice on The Great Experiment, it nicely complements Morse's. Will have to check this out eventually.
    Didn't have the Grand Experiment when I saw Neal Morse on the Cruise to the Edge so I didn't know who this fine young man was? Basically He ripped my head off during the performance.He has everything I like chops ,tone and melody.While I was in Miami airport waiting for my flight back to Detroit I went on the web to see what this guy was about and ended buying his first cd at the airport.I just bought the new on last night while I was at work here. Good singer too. i wouldn't be surprised if he plays 'Steve Morse' if Portnoy covers any Flying Colors material at his 50 th birthday celebration on next years Cruise.He can do Petrucci in the Dream Theater stuff..In short I think he is a major talent.

Damn you. I went and listened to the samples, found them awesome, then bought it. My BUDGET HATES YOU!!!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)