Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the recent spate of RIPs changd your listening habits?

How has the recent spate of RIPs changd your listening habits?

I thought I totally played out Brain Salad Surgery sometime in the 90's until Keith Emerson's recent passing. I've recently listened to the entire ELP catalogue. Same with a lot of early Bowie albums. Has the (far too many) RIP's of late changed your listening habits?
    Last edited by StevegSr; 06-16-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    No.
    The original title was supposed to state "How has the recent spate of..." etc. But the title cannot be altered due to a glitch in PE's programming. But I do believe that their are those that don't give a rats ass.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    "How has the recent spate of..."
    It hasn't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Don't own any Eagles, Bowie or Prince. Don't plan to. I don't think I've listened to any ELP since Emerson killed himself. I think I played Codona a few times around the time Vasconcelos died. Haven't listened to any Jefferson-anything since Kantner croaked.

Banned
    I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to Gong or David Allen since his death - he was like a close friend I only met a few times... whatever else, that nutty guy was full of love and empathy. I am a better person for having met him.

None of the other exits have bothered me. I'll probably go on a major bender if Hammill dies before me though. I still remember the exact minute and where I was when I found out Lennon was shot dead. John Lennon's dead and Dick Fucking Cheney is still alive. What a world!

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I listened to some Magellan yesterday and I DO think I need some of it in my collection. Only have three albums by them.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

No, it hasn't.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

For many years now, I've pulled out albums by artists who had just died, so nothing new here. First one I remember doing this was George Harrison...

Not at all.

It hasn't changed my listening habits. Remarkably, dead people sound just as good on CDs as they did while alive.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

For some reason, the death of certain celebrities (for lack of a better word) affects me more than others. I've never been a huge ELP fan but I played a lot of ELP after Emerson's death, and was very saddened by the way in which he died. The same goes for Prince, whose biggest hits bring back a lot of memories from special times in my life. Chris Squire's passing was also quite sad, but I always listen to a lot of Yes anyway. For the most part, I don't go on listening binges when an artist dies. I guess a lot of my very favorites are still around, thank goodness.

Garry Shandling's passing has prompted me to re-watch the complete Larry Sanders Show series, which has been fantastic.

Nope
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Reminded me of and prompted me to revisit things I haven't heard lately? Sure. Changed my habits? Not at all.

I've sort of avoided Yes and ELP since Squire's, and more recently Emerson's deaths. I felt I just needed some time to get my head around it before returning to the music. I think I'm probably there with Yes at this point, but I don't spin a lot of Yes anymore anyway. Fish out of Water will be a challenge, though. One of my favorite all time albums, it will be hard to listen to that without thinking of Squire's passing.

Bill

Nup

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

No, I'm busy collecting new music

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    David Allen ...- he was like a close friend I only met a few times... whatever else, that nutty guy was full of love and empathy.
    Man, isn't that the truth. What a golden soul. I only met him the one time, and it was clear that he was one of the nicest people I would be lucky enough to meet in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    For many years now, I've pulled out albums by artists who had just died, so nothing new here. First one I remember doing this was George Harrison...
    Yup me too. Just pulled out "Glossolalia" yesterday after hearing of Trent Gardner's passing. First time I have listened to it in years.

Has the recent spate of RIPs changd your listening habits?

God yes, I've been through massive binges of Bowie, Prince, ELP, Airplane etc...

When Squire passed it was the Progeny set that I paid close attention to, the rest of the catalogue is enshrined in memory, I can play it without any physical media.

I play Gong and Daevid a lot too, but I always have and it just makes him come alive to me, happy thoughts only. He died days apart from my beloved Dad also to the big C, that links them forever, although Dad was more into his arias than the Magick of Planet Gong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No.

But it's happened to me several times over the decades, I get into a musician, artist, etc. then they die a few days later. This happened with Steve Ray Vaughan and Merle Haggard.

I listened to my Prince greatest hits CDs a few more times than usual after his death.

Other than that, nope.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Bowie and ELP, yes. I was really upset by Keith Emerson's death in particular, because of the circumstances. I feared that it would taint my own enjoyment of the music, but it has not- indeed I've played through every single ELP album a few times since (well, OK, in the case of Love Beach and In The Hot Seat, once was enough!).

There was a wave of genuine grief in the UK for David Bowie. I don't know how he's viewed in the US but he's such an influential, important figure here. But it was terminal cancer and I found that somewhat easier to come to terms with than the way Keith Emerson went.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Don't own any Eagles, Bowie or Prince. Don't plan to. I don't think I've listened to any ELP since Emerson killed himself.
    I don't own any of these either... And I haven't heard ELP in a few years, if not a decade.

The death that's touched me most was Kantner, but I didn't go out to listen to Airplane stuff (tough I did listen to Blows Against The Empire since

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to Gong or David Allen since his death - he was like a close friend I only met a few times... whatever else, that nutty guy was full of love and empathy. I am a better person for having met him.
    Actually, I did listen to quite a few Gong albums since Daevid's moved on to greener pastures... But the again, I always did played Gong albums.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.