Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Peter Gabriel tune "I'm Amazing"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One listen- sounds pretty good. Some interesting sounds. I have a feeling the sound of this video is pretty crappy compared to what would be on the album.

If it had been on "Up", it would've been one of the tracks I'd skip after the first listen or two. There are a few interesting moments, but...

Of all the songs Peter Gabriel has recorded, this is one of them.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    New music is fine. I just wish he and Jon Anderson would bury the hatchet and reform Pink Floyd properly, so they could go out and perform their classic material like Red in its entirety...
    And we have a new contender for post-of-the-year.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Rhythmically it feels a bit pre-set, drum-machine...but it has some things here and there that are ok...feels like UP meets Security in places...i just wish there were a bit more dynamics, builds, actual playing?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Aw shucks, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my little joke about out how whiny and complainy the internet is. I used the cute little smiley with the sticky out tongue and everything.
    Nah, it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    New music is fine. I just wish he and Jon Anderson would bury the hatchet and reform Pink Floyd properly, so they could go out and perform their classic material like Red in its entirety...

Right man. I've seen Neil Young a million times, but he never plays Teach Your Children!

Banned
    Utter crap,
    British Rap.
    Gabe needs a slap.
    Over produced or Under produced
    1 bit drums perfect for high res audio

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    It's the internet. If you're not gonna find fault with something, why log on at all?
    Sig worthy!

I feel the title is very odd, like if he was trying to imply "we're all amazing" by the title....call it, "We're Amazing" -- but then people call that "tweeish"
    Last edited by regenerativemusic; 06-16-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Utter crap,
    British Rap.
    Gabe needs a slap.
    Over produced or Under produced
    1 bit drums perfect for high res audio

I mean this is the kind of stuff people probably put together in night just cutting and pasting Audio Units-VSTs together in Logic or ProTools.

Really lazy crap .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbytheriver View Post
    I quite liked it. Very much in fact. It's vintage Peter. I can't wait to hear more!
    +1

Paint by number Gabriel. The composition and sound structure of this may have interested me once when I first heard it 30 years ago but this rehash does nothing for me. Of all my musical heros of yesteryear, I think Gab may be the biggest let down today. And to think I used to stand in line overnight for tickets and rush to the store on new release Tuesdays if he was involved once upon a time.

Banned
    Fantastic 80s-like Gabriel at his best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    And we have a new contender for post-of-the-year.

As for the song...all joking aside, I like it fine. As a one-off to Ali, seems nice
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Rhythmically it feels a bit pre-set, drum-machine...but it has some things here and there that are ok...feels like UP meets Security in places...i just wish there were a bit more dynamics, builds, actual playing?
    Yeah, that's a good point. To me PG is a bit like Kate Bush in that both are prog I like, yet neither is really about instrumental prowess. Great voices, interesting textures, but rarely a solo of any kind.

There's on sort of loud, shrieking sound at one point, which I thought was a car squealing down the road. That was kind of cool.

I guess if he thinks this song is a good way to announce the album we should be a bit concerned.

So it's about Muhammed Ali. I originally thought it was a comment on Gen X kids these days.

“I wrote a song a few years back – ‘I’m Amazing’, which was, in part, inspired by Muhammad Ali’s life and struggles and at the time of his death, when so many people are celebrating his life and thinking about all he achieved, it seemed the right time to release it.”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    (...) Great voices, interesting textures, but rarely a solo of any kind. (...)
    +1

p.s. Re his textures:

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    So it's about Muhammed Ali. I originally thought it was a comment on Gen X kids these days.
    At 47 years old, 48 fast approaching, I sincerely appreciate that there are people who still think I'm a kid. Thanks for that. I will humbly return the favor by getting off your lawn and turning my damn music down.

Peter Gabriel is getting like Robert Plant, just put out any crap and the fans will eat it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Peter Gabriel is getting like Robert Plant, just put out any crap and the fans will eat it up.
    Ignorant statement of the day award! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by blusterbox studio View Post
    Paint by number Gabriel. The composition and sound structure of this may have interested me once when I first heard it 30 years ago but this rehash does nothing for me. Of all my musical heros of yesteryear, I think Gab may be the biggest let down today. And to think I used to stand in line overnight for tickets and rush to the store on new release Tuesdays if he was involved once upon a time.
    I agree about the paint-by-numbers... In the 1980s this "sound" was really fresh and exciting. Gabriel largely invented it and is deservedly a star because of it. But trotting out the same sound 30+ years later? Perhaps an OK move if the actual songs are very good. This one is catchy for sure, but very good? I'll give it a few more spins.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ignorant statement of the day award! Congrats!
    insults for opinions.... what an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    insults for opinions.... what an ass.
    Are you seeing pics that we can't?

PG new tune

started off like it could have been on Birdy or even Passion then turned into a UP style tune...not bad i thought.
    Last edited by davef; 06-17-2016 at 08:15 PM. Reason: F'ed up!!