Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opeth To Release New Album - Sorceress

Opeth To Release New Album - Sorceress

Nuclear Blast Entertainment is very pleased to announce the signing of Swedish progressive legends, Opeth. Always an unstoppable force for uniqueness amid a sea of generic swill, Opeth have been setting the rulebook ablaze, and ploughing a uniquely progressive and exploratory furrow for over 25 years now. Neither conforming nor exhibiting any desire to be restricted to a single genre, Opeth, quite simply, have a time honored tradition of blowing our minds with both class and forward thinking. All these years later, nothing and everything has changed once again with their forthcoming album Sorceress.

“We’re happy to confirm that we have indeed signed a deal with Nuclear Blast Entertainment and will be putting out our 12th studio album »Sorceress« via our own imprint, Moderbolaget Records,” states Mikael Åkerfeldt. “The decision was made in Markus Staiger’s (Nuclear Blast kingpin) ridiculously potent Porsche going at 150 mph somewhere in the south of Germany. We’re happy to be part of the NB team and look forward to a fruitful relationship.“

Nuclear Blast owner, Markus Staiger, continues:

“I am honored that Opeth have joined the Nuclear Blast family. Mikael Åkerfeldt and his fellow bandmates have demonstrated time and time again that Opeth are a band that never release an album that sounds the same. You never know what their new music will sound like! Nuclear Blast has been following the musical journey of Opeth from the beginning with ‘Orchid‘ to landmark albums like ‘Still Life,’ ‘Deliverance,’ ‘Damnation‘ and ‘Blackwater Park,’ right up to 2014′s ‘Pale Communion.’ The band have become one of the most challenging artists in rock music today. It is not often that we get to work with musicians of their caliber and I’m thrilled to have such a unique genre-leader on the label. The future for Opeth and Nuclear Blast looks very bright.“

Monte Conner, Nuclear Blast Entertainment president adds:

“Opeth are a band that have continually evolved and moved forward at every stage. Always innovating and always continuing to challenge themselves as players and writers. They are simply fearless. I can’t wait to hear what they come up with next! It’s an amazing feeling to be reunited with one of my favorite bands and I look forward to my colleagues here at Nuclear Blast being able to have their own Opeth experience and role in the band’s continuing journey. I want to thank Mikael Åkerfeldt and Opeth for putting their faith and trust in everyone here at Nuclear Blast.“

Opeth are currently in the studio with Tom Dalgety putting the finishing touches on Sorceress. A release for the album is tentatively scheduled for the fall via Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Entertainment.

http://www.prog-sphere.com/news/opet...nuclear-blast/

I think it's been a while since they nuclearly blasted anything, but this is exciting news regardless. I have enjoyed all facets of Opeth.

Hopefully Sorceress will follow in the steps of Heritage and Pale Communion and be one of those releases that you fall in love with on the first listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Hopefully Sorceress will follow in the steps of Heritage and Pale Communion and be one of those releases that you fall in love with on the first listen.
    Yep. I'm on board for something like that.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I've tried and tried with these dudes. I love their production, especially the last two albums. I also like Mikael's voice. And, the songs are very intricate and compelling. I guess it's the subject matter and the whole black metal aura that remains. I've tried with Damnation too. Maybe I'll have to try again.

New Opeth album in the fall? Yes, I like that a lot. Their music goes very well with the season IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Looking forward to it!

I think they report 'parts' too many times. This is an issue with lots of prog. There is a riff, it's played 4 times in a row. Then another riff the back to singing. Mikael's riffs are quite minor and at times sinister (?). Hearing them over and over in a song is not pleasant IMHO. I do like the idea of them being fall music. Chilly out, halloween, opted on the stereo. I also love their album covers and logo.

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    I've tried and tried with these dudes. I love their production, especially the last two albums. I also like Mikael's voice. And, the songs are very intricate and compelling. I guess it's the subject matter and the whole black metal aura that remains. I've tried with Damnation too. Maybe I'll have to try again.
    Same here. With due respect to those that like them, the aura and the cookie monster vocals are ridiculous, IMO. The music/production are indeed very good however. Different strokes.

Yes, I hate music with riffs and vocals.
    <sig out of order>

Some people on the Opeth Forum are sure that the new album will be Stoner Rock because of the title and have lyrics such as:

Sorceress
    Shooting fire from your fingers
    Sorceress
    You are a mystery that lingers
    Sorceress
    You are the one for me
    I haven't felt this much glee
    Since I last played D&D

{thanks to Anvar}

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Holy shit! Led Zeppelin ripped off Opeth!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Cover and track list:

1. Persephone
    2. Sorceress
    3. The Wilde Flowers
    4. Will O The Wisp
    5. Chrysalis
    6. Sorceress 2
    7. The Seventh Sojourn
    8. Strange Brew
    9. A Fleeting Glance
    10. Era
    11. Persephone (Slight Return)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I like the cover.
    Some curious song titles (homages?)

http://www.opeth.com/news/item/271-s...september-30th

METAL PEACOCK APPROOOOOOOOVES
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'd love to see them toss a bit more metal back into the mix, while still being more in the style of Heritage and Pale Communion.

Keep the clean vocals.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Raise your hand if the album cover made you hungry......

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Raise your hand if the album cover made you hungry......
    How in the flip-flappin' Jeebus would it not?
    That is the most metal peacock ever.

Opeth vs. Nazareth Celebrity Peacock Death Match....FIGHT!!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Did the Peacock shit out people? The one guy looks like this kid that went to my school in 7th grade.

Underground viral campaign continues

OPETH - Sorceress: Studio Report - Episode 1

Notice the Museo Rosenbach T-shirt.

Really beautiful studio.