Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEARFest - Four years gone...

NEARFest - Four years gone...

Was just thinking that one week from now, it will have been FOUR YEARS since the NF Apocalypse.

A great but bittersweet ending to one of, if not THE BEST, Prog festivals the U.S. has ever known. (I attended 7)

I'm sure I speak for many who both miss it terribly and who have nothing but the highest respect for Chad & Rob (and team) for such a Heculean task. The memories will live on for me until dementia takes over completely.

Hoisting one tonight in honor

Seems like it was just a couple years ago... Time flies as life marches on.

Wish we could do it all again once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Seems like it was just a couple years ago... Time flies as life marches on.

Wish we could do it all again once more.
    Come to Progday. No cops to hassle you, what could be better.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

LOL some a/c and a theater seat?

ProgDay is awesome, btw.

and today is Rob's birthday. Time to celebrate by playing a band everyone will argue about.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    and today is Rob's birthday.

How's that for timing? !!!

Happy Birthday Rob !!
    Last edited by Supersonic Scientist; 06-16-2016 at 07:28 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Come to Progday. No cops to hassle you, what could be better.
    I do, and will again this year. The only thing about ProgDay is that I wish NC was closer to NY! I usually took a bus to get to NEARfest, so it only cost me about $40 round trip, as opposed to a lot more to fly there. But once you're there, it's worth it!

The two fests were flipsides of each other: hot and beery vs. cool, comfortable, and beery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    and today is Rob's birthday. Time to celebrate by playing a band everyone will argue about.
    That calls for some Umphrey's McGee…

I miss the frantic search for just the right two coffees for the artists and crew in the Green Room. Then watching their faces the first time they each tried the new coffees. Annie Haslam, Paul Sears and Dave Kerman were always fun to watch when it first hit their palate.....

I'm still pissed I missed the last two NEARfests.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I thought it was thoughtful of Mike Keneally to include Kris Myers from Umphrey's in his band for the Apocalypse.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm still pissed I didn't receive the concert program from Nearfest 2009.
    I was asked to write a piece on Oblivion Sun, but I never saw the end-result.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yeah, hard to believe some people's,( progsnobs), fear of Umphrey's put a stop to such a sweet festival.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I'm still pissed I didn't receive the concert program from Nearfest 2009.
    I was asked to write a piece on Oblivion Sun, but I never saw the end-result.
    You remind me of the time I ewnt to a friend's house. She actually did get to go to the last two NEARfests. She had the 2010 program sitting on her coffee table. I picked it up, flipped through a few pages, then put it down again in disgust. That's how upset I was at the time.

And worse, she and the other guy we had gone to NEARfest the past few years simply got another person to replace me in the car. Like what, I'm just a guy to help split gas money with to you guys?! I'm that replaceable, huh?!

Quote Originally Posted by heracleummantegazziani View Post
    Yeah, hard to believe some people's,( progsnobs), fear of Umphrey's put a stop to such a sweet festival.
    I still can't believe there weren't a thousand people who wanted to see Curved Air, who were also on the bill. Hell, I wanted to go just to see them, never mind who was headlining! I wanted to Simak Dialog too, but Curved Air would have been enough to get me to go if I had to the money to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Was just thinking that one week from now, it will have been FOUR YEARS since the NF Apocalypse.

A great but bittersweet ending to one of, if not THE BEST, Prog festivals the U.S. has ever known. (I attended 7)

I'm sure I speak for many who both miss it terribly and who have nothing but the highest respect for Chad & Rob (and team) for such a Heculean task. The memories will live on for me until dementia takes over completely.

Hoisting one tonight in honor
    I made it to every single one, and had tickets for the aborted one. Yup....those were the days.....

I'm really glad I got to to to most of them.

And I'm really glad I got to experience 2 or 3 of them *not* working the event, which made a tremendous difference in terms of actually being able to enjoy them fully.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

have you asked Ray Loboda or Jim Robinson about getting a copy of the NEARfest 2009 program? They were in charge at the time.
    Last edited by nearfest; 06-15-2016 at 08:33 PM.

welp Curved Air was going to have to cancel a week or so after the cancellation of the event came down. Their visa paperwork was tardy.

You remind me of the time I ewnt to a friend's house. She actually did get to go to the last two NEARfests. She had the 2010 program sitting on her coffee table. I picked it up, flipped through a few pages, then put it down again in disgust. That's how upset I was at the time.

And worse, she and the other guy we had gone to NEARfest the past few years simply got another person to replace me in the car. Like what, I'm just a guy to help split gas money with to you guys?! I'm that replaceable, huh?!

If the conversations on the drive to Nearfest were anything like your posts...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I missed about half of them. I went to the first five and got burned out a bit after 2003 and because they decided to "downgrade" I thought I would "give" my ticket to someone else. I wanted to see prog grow at that point and in my mind it seemed like a step backward in prog's popularity. I know. Who am I to judge? But I just couldn't justify in my head to keep going at that point. I did return in 07 and in 12 for the apocalypse. I also still went to most of the pre-shows(although I skipped everything in 04).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 06-15-2016 at 11:25 PM.

2005 was my last one. I pretty much enjoyed all of the ones I attended which were the ones in Trenton and then Bethlehem. Great bands, lots of fun.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

2003 was my first Nearfest and was blown away.

Went to 2004,2005, skipped 2006, pre show for 2007 and 2008-2010 and finally got to play in 2012 !

An extraordinary event pulled together by extraordinary people!

I first heard about NF when I joined PE in 2002, 2,000 CD's ago!
    Last edited by nosebone; 06-16-2016 at 11:29 AM.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

2003 was my first, also. What a weekend. Total magic. I could not believe that all of those bands had been gathered in one place. I went to every one after that. Thanks to everyone involved for all their hard work over the years. So many great bands, so many great friends, so many great memories.

neil