Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trent Gardner RIP

Damn. RIP. Hour of Restoration, Impending Ascension and Test of Wills got many spins back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    The Gardners, like them or not, were a big part of the prog revival of the 90s.
    Indisputably.

A tremendous talent. Hundred Year Flood remains among my all time faves, but his work with both Steve Walsh and the Explorer's Club is nothing short of brilliant. He will be sorely missed in my home at least.

RIP. Magellan were one of the first names I heard (along with Spock's Beard and Djam Karet) when my interest in prog was re-kindled by the internet. Until then I thought I was the only person who remembered groups like Camel and PFM. LOL! Somewhere God knows where I found "Hour of Restoration," on cassette, and grabbed it immediately even though I was a CD person by then. I thought I'd never have another opportunity to get it.

Anyway, Hour was really well done but not really to my taste. So I haven't listened to it much, but I think I know which box it is in and will try to listen to it again on my car tape deck. RIP to a very talented guy who had a vision and realized that vision in a time when that was not easy!.

RIP, Trent. Impending Ascension, to me, is a perfect album from start to finish. Hundred Year Flood is right up there, and absolutely gut wrenching. I haven't heard any Magellan after HYF, but his work on Steve Walsh's Glossolalia is stellar. He will be missed.

Very sad. I love Hour of Restoration, Impending Ascension and Hundred Year Flood. Some of the non Magellan stuff was good too. Unfortunately for me, I find most of the other Magellan stuff to be hit and miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Something like that. Hopefully the reference to "suddenly" in the OP's post doesn't mean what I'm afraid it means...
    It can also mean an auto crash, a heart attack at a relatively young age, a reaction to medication - just anything unexpected.

I enjoyed Impossible Figures, reminded me at times of Echolyn. Haven't heard the early stuff. RIP Trent. Same age as I am.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I have a soft spot for Magellan, especially those early CDs. RIP

"Didn't they also lose their elder brother to combat in Vietnam or something ?
    If any of their parents survive, it's inconceivably tragic".

Yes,an older brother Jack.

http://www.iwvpa.net/gardnert/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Something like that. Hopefully the reference to "suddenly" in the OP's post doesn't mean what I'm afraid it means...
    I think it does, judging from the end of the info on the GoFundMe page.

I feel really sorry for his family, whatever the circumstances.

Still warming up to Magellan. Glossolalia has been in my rotation for quite a few weeks, love his work on it.

Sadden by his passing.

RIP, not a Magellan fan (yet), but his contributions to Steve Walsh's Glossolalia put it over the top.

Way too young to die, says the man in the mirror.

I picked up a Magellan album or 2 early on, along with one or two other Magna Carta releases. Despite being well done, it didn't take long to determine that they weren't my thing. Same with Mastermind.

RIP.

Not a fan of Magellan. I gave 'em a try. Had one album (Test Of Wills), didn't like it. Count me among all of you who mentioned his outstanding work on Glossolalia. Truly the bast Kansas-related album I've ever heard. It beats Proto-Kaw, imo.

This is horrible. Magellan was the first band I got into when I discovered the prog "renaissance" in the late nineties via Magna Carta's Yes tribute album. "Impending Ascension" was tremendous. After the tragedy of his brother's suicide, this is one of the saddest stories in music history, in my opinion. They deserved more than they got.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Had one album (Test Of Wills), didn't like it.
    Wrong album. Try "Impending Ascension" or "Hour of Restoration." Here's a sample:

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Sorry to hear. RIP Trent. Too damn young. Only a couple years older than me.
    An early fan of Magellan. Since my CDs haven't been alphabetized since moving last year, I can't seem to find the CDs. Damn!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Damn! Both brothers gone!

RIP Trent. Loved Magellan. "Hour of Restoration" is a classic in my book.

Wow... :-(

He also did some work on-and-off with Robert Lamm of Chicago. My dad is/was a big Chicago fan and thought highly of the collaboration between the two. To me it was the most interesting stuff Lamm had been into since around Chicago 7.

The GoFundMe campaign has raised almost $5000 in one day - going well. A few interesting names in the list of donors, including Robert Berry, and also just a lot of familiar names from here and elsewhere.

RIP

I've only just come across this news. I'm shocked.

For me, Magellan's Hour of Restoration was my way back into prog and my first foray into a heavier style. It remains one of my favourites. Impending Ascension took me an age to get into but the 11m tracks Estadium Nationale and Waterfront Weirdoes are as good as it gets.

RIP

Such a coincidence! I posted above back when this thread was new, but I was JUST listening to Hour of Restoration in the car, haven't listened to it since again when this thread was new, and thought not five minutes ago that I should find this thread and mention again how much I enjoy this album. I didn't actually realize it until Gardner passed away and I listened to HoR and Impending Ascension and realized how good the albums are. They've somehow aged well. The combination of neo-prog, a touch of metal, the focus on historical "stories," and the...unusual vocals...work really well.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I've only just come across this news. I'm shocked.

For me, Magellan's Hour of Restoration was my way back into prog and my first foray into a heavier style. It remains one of my favourites. Impending Ascension took me an age to get into but the 11m tracks Estadium Nationale and Waterfront Weirdoes are as good as it gets.

RIP
    Such a coincidence! I posted above back when this thread was new, but I was JUST listening to Hour of Restoration in the car, haven't listened to it since again when this thread was new, and thought not five minutes ago that I should find this thread and mention again how much I enjoy this album. I didn't actually realize it until Gardner passed away and I listened to HoR and Impending Ascension and realized how good the albums are. They've somehow aged well. The combination of neo-prog, a touch of metal, the focus on historical "stories," and the...unusual vocals...work really well.

Loved his concept album 'Leonardo:The Absolute Man', some stellar songs and playing on that one!

RIP