Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jethro Tull -Living in the Past

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    In the late 60s the more 'underground' bands still regularly released singles that weren't on albums- Traffic, Family and Deep Purple spring to mind as other bands who had well-known songs that were never on their 'proper' UK studio albums. Jethro Tull had more than most, hence why this was a double.
    Deep Purple, as far as I remember, released non-album singles in the 70s as well. Though supposedly, there was no hard principle that single should not be on album. Some 'singles' were placed on albums, some were not.

Jethro Tull, of all the old bands, is a world champion of non-album songs, - on this matter I just cannot imagine the comparable quantity of singles and unreleased songs from any other old band.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I think that album actually was the first release of the song "Living in the past" - right? It became a relative hit on AM radio, as I recall hearing it played as I rode a 4:30 am in the morning to swim workout. It was one of the few songs that I didnt mind hearing at that time of day. But it makes me tired every time I hear it now. Cool, a catchy hit song thats mostly in 5/4 - only other song I recall with that going for it was Take 5 - and I dont think that was ever a radio hit.

Even in the 90's they had to change the theme song to Mission impossible to 4/4 time, just so it would fit into the radio format. Radio - how far we have fallen!
    4:30am? I've never done anything at 4:30am except sleep. That's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Jethro Tull, of all the old bands, is a world champion of non-album songs, - on this matter I just cannot imagine the comparable quantity of singles and unreleased songs from any other old band.
    For nearly album from 68-82 there's half an album to an album worth of extra goodies

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    For nearly album from 68-82 there's half an album to an album worth of extra goodies
    Yeah indeed. They did a few impressive extra tracks in the 90s, too.