Thread: Keyboard vsts

Keyboard vsts

I am interested to hear your thoughts on keyboard vst's and any you would recommend. I am just looking to make demos, nothing earth shattering. I have some I think are pretty good

Tapeworm - Mellotron
    MinimogueVA - Moog
    ORGANized_trio_v31 - B3 and Organ sounds
    4 Front R-Piano - Fender Rhodes

I am looking for some good synth vsts. I am lazy and just looking to get tracks recorded, so I do prefer pre-sets to having to tweak all day. I am not really a keyboard player, just using it for playing chords and embellishing the songs.

I've included a link to my reverbnation page if you have any interest to hear a few things I've recorded. I know they are sloppy and unfinished, but I really enjoy writing and recording. I need more patience to really do things properly. Anyway - check it out if you have a few minutes, and I would love any suggestions on vsts to try.

http://www.reverbnation.com/ericporter

Thanks,
    Eric

Bill Fox, bassist for Pinnacle, also handles most of our keyboard programming and would be extremely helpful. He's off on a 4 day weekend trip but I'll tell him to look for the post when he returns. His handle here is Radiohost....

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Bill Fox, bassist for Pinnacle, also handles most of our keyboard programming and would be extremely helpful. He's off on a 4 day weekend trip but I'll tell him to look for the post when he returns. His handle here is Radiohost....
    Thanks - I look forward to his insight.

Quote Originally Posted by fictionmusic View Post
    There are a ton of great free high quality vsts around.
    Thanks - I will check them out

Go to the IK Media site and download the sample version of SampleTank which comes with 500K of samples including soem mellotrons, some moogs and some samples from the Miroslav PhilharmoniK library. It's totally free and if you like the player, you can purchase various sample libraries from them very reasonably,

Quote Originally Posted by dlm View Post
    The Free Taurus is a must have.

http://antti.smartelectronix.com/#taurus
    It is. I'm actually using it in our shows. And thanks (op) for turning me on to the MiniMouge- that thing is killer!

I find a lot of cool free ones here:

http://www.vstplanet.com

I use tapeworm but I have an even better mellotron vst (can't recall exact name but will come back and edit this posting)
    Also check out:
    Cygnus
    STS-11

I also have a GREAT hurdy gurdy vst (again, cant recall name but will edit this posting later)

Ooh, hurdy gurdy would be very cool to have.

Greg told me to weigh in. I'll support that Taurus recommendation. I use it often in Pinnacle setups. I rely heavily on Mtron and Mtron Pro as well as Minimonsta. The Korg Legacy stuff is essential for classic sounds for Polysix to Wavestation stuff. My problem has been finding a reliable host during concerts. My old laptop worked fine for a good long while but started acting up during shows only - always fine in the studio. I had to abandon it, attributing the problems to heat related issues as nothing of a technical nature would fix anything. The newer laptop seems to work fine.

Just spent the afternoon on the VSTPlanet site - whoa, lots of cool synths! Picked up a few dozen. I probably wont ever get to all of them, but what a selection. I imagine I'll have to limit myself to just a couple per tune right?

Do VST effects work the same way as the synths? You just drop em into your VST folder and the software just sees them?

yes, although you might have to tell the program to re-scan the folder.

I'm partial to Arturia's classic synth recreations - http://www.arturia.com/evolution/ - their ARP2600 & Jupiter 8 are killer! I use the ARP for bass all the time. The afore mentioned KORG Legacy recreations are excellent also.
    GONGTOPIA
    Ancient Sounds for Modern Times

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I use tapeworm but I have an even better mellotron vst (can't recall exact name but will come back and edit this posting)
    Redtron SE? It definitely sounds convincing to me! The demo of Tapeworm left me distinctly unimpressed, so I didn’t even bother with the download.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Do any of these work in "stand alone" mode? I'm especially interested in the Taurus pedal recreation. I record with a usb interface into a Tascam digital portastudio. My Arturia MiniV and ProphetV work nicely in this context.

Any recommendations for a good polyphonic synth emulation? I’m currently using something called Orion, which I’m not especially in love with, except for the multi-mode filter function! I’m looking for something in the CS80/PS3300/Chroma/Jupiter 8 area with at least 8 voices and two oscillators per voice. Think the UK albums or early 80s Eloy in terms of sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Any recommendations for a good polyphonic synth emulation? I’m currently using something called Orion, which I’m not especially in love with, except for the multi-mode filter function! I’m looking for something in the CS80/PS3300/Chroma/Jupiter 8 area with at least 8 voices and two oscillators per voice. Think the UK albums or early 80s Eloy in terms of sounds.
    Check out the Arturia softsynths or maybe try the free Oberheim emulation. They're all great emulations!

Edit: u-he Diva is another great choice! High cost in $$$ and CPU resources though!
    Last edited by hFx; 03-02-2016 at 03:04 AM.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Arturia periodically has sales, with even bigger discounts for those with registered accounts on their website. A little while ago they were offering their entire line of soft synths for $199.

That OBXD synth is amazing! Great recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    That OBXD synth is amazing! Great recommendation!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

All right, after several weeks, I decided that I really love that Orion VST. Don’t discount that OBXD one, it’s great too, but Orion has some nifty features, like sample and hold (fantastic for bleepy, bloopy outer space sounds), a built-in phaser and the aforementioned multi-mode filter. Check it out!