Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles' Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The video is set to private. We can't see it.
    Sorry man

I'm gonna rank the Beatles albums whilst high....

Revolver
    A Hard Day's Night
    Meet (or With) The Beatles
    Rubber Soul
    Beatles For Sale
    Please Please Me
    White
    Pepper
    Mystery Tour
    Let It Be
    Abbey Road

^ Abbey Road at the bottom of the barrel? That's gotta be a minority opinion. And you were so high you forgot Help. (I'll assume Yellow Sub was omitted intentionally.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Yeah I forgot Help. I'd place it behind AHDN. I like Abbey Road but I like all the pre-Pepper albums the most. I like the Yeah Yeah, Ed Sullivan era the most. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I like Abbey Road but I like all the pre-Pepper albums the most. I like the Yeah Yeah, Ed Sullivan era the most. ...
    Not me. I can take or leave most of that stuff. Fwiw, I think of them as having four eras:

Early (pre-Help)
    Transitional (Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver)
    Psych (Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour)
    Post-Psych

How I'd rank them is also difficult for me, now that I'm of a slightly advanced age and the sheen of The Beatles has worn off. In fact, I rarely listen to them, anymore. Even when I do, I never listen to whole albums.

I will say this: Revolver & Pepper would be at the top of the list.

Anyway, I'm more inclined to rank their songs now. So I tried to do a top 10. But that's a little too limiting, so I made it a top 15. But then I felt that too many great songs were left out so I came up with the idea of a desert island mix CD. The limitation here is time because a CD is 80 minutes. But then I had trouble with that because if I included some songs from other albums, I'd have to leave out the Abbey Road medley (You Never Give Me Your Money thru The End). All in all, I think I could live with the following:

I Feel Fine
    Things We Said Today
    I Need You
    If I Needed Someone
    I'm Only Sleeping
    For No One
    Eleanor Rigby
    Taxman
    She Said She Said
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Baby You're A Rich Man
    A Day in the Life
    Dear Prudence
    Long, Long, Long
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Dig a Pony
    Two of Us
    I've Got a Feeling
    One After 909
    Let It Be (album version)
    Abbey Road Medley

FYI, this works because I'd edit out all the extraneous stuff from the Let it Be songs. Also, the AR medley is roughly 16 minutes, ±2 seconds.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^ I've always viewed the Beatles career as two eras. The black and white, yeah yeah yeah, lovable mop tops, and the technicolour psychedelic, hippy, mustache era...

Every album after '64 was a different era.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah they progressed on every album. I get it. Rubber/Revolver were transitional. Well, really Revolver was psychedelic. Love You Too, She Said, She Said, Tomorrow Never Knows. Rain was pre-Pepper psych.

Banned
    Yeah they progressed on every album. I get it. Rubber/Revolver were transitional. Well, really Revolver was psychedelic. Love You Too, She Said, She Said, Tomorrow Never Knows. Rain was pre-Pepper psych.
    True progressive rock, from rock and roll to a fusion of rock and roll with popular music influences of the day such as folk (George Harrison’s Rickenbacker 12 string) and then classical/symphonic. Then to finish it off, the moog synth as an integrated element of the sound.

It's Love You To. Sorry not Too.

Today 7/7 is Ringo's 82nd birthday. The inspiration for virtually every rock n roll drummer to follow, famous or otherwise (like me).
    Happy Birthday to the incomparable Ringo!

Happy Birthday Ringo!

Ringo is still going strong. Personally, I think his hair dye job looks silly, but if it makes him feel better about himself, that's perfectly fine.

It took me more years than I'd like to admit to realize how truly great a drummer he is. Incredibly innovative and, of course, influential. He was a huge influence on Phil Collins, as I'm sure many of you know. I guess that means Ringo ruined Genesis.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Ringo definitely influenced White.

Interview with Alan White, the one person with the strongest connection between John Lennon and prog:

Very soon after, you joined Yes. Did John or George ever offer their opinions on Yes' music?

"I kind of lost contact with John at that point. I was off touring the world and he was starting to get involved in his whole 'Lost Weekend' phase. But we did speak once several years later and he told me he was a big fan of Yes. He loved the band."

That's kind of surprising. One would think he would've considered Yes' music excessive.

"You would think that, sure. But John had a lot of sides to him, probably more than he showed a lot of people, at least publicly."

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guit...n-to-me-219747

I got into an argument with some idiot online who actually thinks Paul died and was replaced by an imposter.

Yeah, sure, they found a lookalike who plays left-handed, has the same voice, was able to fool his family, and still continued to be the most successful songwriter of all time.

It's entirely plausibe.

It's amazing how many fools there are in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I got into an argument with some idiot online who actually thinks Paul died and was replaced by an imposter.

Yeah, sure, they found a lookalike who plays left-handed, has the same voice, was able to fool his family, and still continued to be the most successful songwriter of all time.

It's entirely plausibe.

QAnon? They think most dead people are alive, and most alive people are clones.

It's entirely plausibe.

I knew at least one person who was convinced that Tony Banks was a member on a Yes fans website and had nothing better to do than go into a Yes chat room. Sure.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

It's entirely plausibe.

Hey, mountains are soooo hard to find when the Earth is flat!!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    QAnon? They think most dead people are alive, and most alive people are clones.
    Most likely, they wish that Hendrix is really dead.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned

It's entirely plausibe.

When you read stuff on-line, how do you know that the writer is serious or making $hit up?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    When you read stuff on-line, how do you know that the writer is serious or making $hit up?
    Once you engage them about it, it's not hard to tell.

The eons are closing

It's entirely plausibe.

Dude.... cant you see the skull on Abbey Road when you turn the cover 90° ? And the crack in the wall extends onto front side and goes right thru Paul? And what of the car license plate on the cover! Linda McCartney Widow?

[emoji2962][emoji1]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The irony is Paul might be the last Beatle standing. It wouldn't surprise me if Ringo outlasts Paul either, on the other hand.....lol

The irony is Paul might be the last Beatle standing. It wouldn't surprise me if Ringo outlasts Paul either, on the other hand.....lol
    Actually, considering how sickly Ringo was as a kid with dire predictions, it's unreal that he's still with us.

Banned
    Mind blowing: