Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Just curious...I still have my original Beatles albums that I brought with me when I emigrated to Canada in 1966. Obviously played a lot on scratch boxes so not in good condition. Are they still valuable?
    Scratchy copies of the original Capitol albums are a dime a dozen. The only way they're valuable is if they are in pristine condition. The exception is the original pressing of Yesterday and Today with the butcher cover underneath the pasted-on trunk cover, where even a trashed copy can command a three-figure price. (To tell if you have a butcher cover, look for a dark triangle--Ringo's shirt--showing through the white space underneath the title.) Original numbered copies of the White Album with all the inserts can command a decent price, but there again condition matters a lot.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Scratchy copies of the original Capitol albums are a dime a dozen. The only way they're valuable is if they are in pristine condition. The exception is the original pressing of Yesterday and Today with the butcher cover underneath the pasted-on trunk cover, where even a trashed copy can command a three-figure price. (To tell if you have a butcher cover, look for a dark triangle--Ringo's shirt--showing through the white space underneath the title.) Original numbered copies of the White Album with all the inserts can command a decent price, but there again condition matters a lot.
    I'm not talking about Capitol releases..as I may have overlooked is that I came from the UK, they are all Parlophone
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I'm not talking about Capitol releases..as I may have overlooked is that I came from the UK, they are all Parlophone
    You mean there are countries other than the USA? Why wasn't I informed of this?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Just curious...I still have my original Beatles albums that I brought with me when I emigrated to Canada in 1966. Obviously played a lot on scratch boxes so not in good condition. Are they still valuable?
    From my limited experience with "collectible" albums, I'd say it depends on who you're dealing with. If the jacket is in excellent condition, then yes, somewhat. Very often the condition of the record is as important as the jacket. A dealer I've dealt with in the past puts more emphasis on the condition of the record rather than the jacket and doesn't even grade albums in "mint" condition. Instead, he uses "mint minus". In fact, of the albums I've gotten from him, one had a little wear on the jacket in the shape of the record and it was graded "very good", iirc. The other two didn't have any blemishes or signs of wear on the jacket and both were graded "mint minus". His highest grade is "still sealed". So, if you're thinking of selling your albums, find a dealer or buyer who's more interested in the quality of the jacket than the record, if you think your records aren't in good condition. Also, label can be as important.

But the simplest answer to your question is, if the jackets look worn and you don't think the records are in very good condition, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. For instance, here are a couple of examples:

BEATLES: Yesterday and Today. CAPITOL 2553
    Very Good. black/rainbow 'mfd by/subsidiary of Capitol' label; minor cover wear; corner dings; 1" bottom split; tear on cover
    $35

Still Sealed. (Mono), Jacksonville jacket, flawless.
    $2,500
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

You can start here. These are real auction prices, not what people are asking for them:

https://www.popsike.com

After a few searches, you'll be forced to create an account or come back later. You might be able to remove their cookies to be able to do more searches, though.

Typically, collectors are looking for pristine, as mentioned above. Anyone who labels anything mint that isn't brand new is being disingenuous. Mint is mint.

I know you are not referring to US releases, but in the case of certain titles, like the US "Meet the Beatles," there are several variations of the color of text on the front. Some are worth a lot more than others.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Very Good. black/rainbow 'mfd by/subsidiary of Capitol' label; minor cover wear; corner dings; 1" bottom split; tear on cover
    $35
    Even that seems kinda high.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

[QUOTE=Mister Triscuits;951495]You mean there are countries other than the USA? Why wasn't I informed of this?[/
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    From my limited experience with "collectible" albums, I'd say it depends on who you're dealing with. If the jacket is in excellent condition, then yes, somewhat. Very often the condition of the record is as important as the jacket. A dealer I've dealt with in the past puts more emphasis on the condition of the record rather than the jacket and doesn't even grade albums in "mint" condition. Instead, he uses "mint minus". In fact, of the albums I've gotten from him, one had a little wear on the jacket in the shape of the record and it was graded "very good", iirc. The other two didn't have any blemishes or signs of wear on the jacket and both were graded "mint minus". His highest grade is "still sealed". So, if you're thinking of selling your albums, find a dealer or buyer who's more interested in the quality of the jacket than the record, if you think your records aren't in good condition. Also, label can be as important.

But the simplest answer to your question is, if the jackets look worn and you don't think the records are in very good condition, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. For instance, here are a couple of examples:

$35

Still Sealed. (Mono), Jacksonville jacket, flawless.
    $2,500
    I actually do not have anything on Capitol until after Revolver.
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You can start here. These are real auction prices, not what people are asking for them:

https://www.popsike.com

After a few searches, you'll be forced to create an account or come back later. You might be able to remove their cookies to be able to do more searches, though.

Typically, collectors are looking for pristine, as mentioned above. Anyone who labels anything mint that isn't brand new is being disingenuous. Mint is mint.

I know you are not referring to US releases, but in the case of certain titles, like the US "Meet the Beatles," there are several variations of the color of text on the front. Some are worth a lot more than others.
    To be honest, I was hoping you Beatles experts could save me the bother of doing this
    Dave Sr.

The big UK one is the gold label stereo Please Please Me. You'd get something for that in pretty much any condition. That sold very few copies at the time (there was little market for stereo versions of 'pop' albums in the UK, especially albums by a new group). There are two slight variations.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-...elease/5015941
    https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-...elease/4149026

The mono gold label version is also valuable, but not as much.

The other albums in average-or-worse condition probably wouldn't be worth that much, if anything. Bear in mind these albums sold tons.

A big US one not mentioned is the Vee-Jay Introducing The Beatles. I gather there are lots of fakes of this one around.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The big UK one is the gold label stereo Please Please Me. You'd get something for that in pretty much any condition. That sold very few copies at the time (there was little market for stereo versions of 'pop' albums in the UK, especially albums by a new group). There are two slight variations.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-...elease/5015941
    https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-...elease/4149026

The mono gold label version is also valuable, but not as much.

The other albums in average-or-worse condition probably wouldn't be worth that much, if anything. Bear in mind these albums sold tons.

A big US one not mentioned is the Vee-Jay Introducing The Beatles. I gather there are lots of fakes of this one around.
    What is the gold label?
    Dave Sr.

^Press the image of the cover in either of the links I provided and scroll along. That's it. Later pressings changed to a yellow/black Parlophone label.

^Press the image of the cover in either of the links I provided and scroll along. That's it. Later pressings changed to a yellow/black Parlophone label.
    Oh yes, now I see...I don't believe that mine are the gold versions. I was unaware that they existed. Since Please Please Me was my first LP, I can still recall buying it and I didn't have a choice at that time of the option, so what was the purpose of the gold label, surely they were not looking at collector's items back then.
    Dave Sr.

^The design was simply changed to the yellow/black label somewhere along the line, nothing more to it than that. It seems only the really early pressings have the gold one.

^The design was simply changed to the yellow/black label somewhere along the line, nothing more to it than that. It seems only the really early pressings have the gold one.
    Well they must have been REALLY early pressings because I lined up for 2 hours to buy mine the day they went in the stores..
    Dave Sr.

To be honest, I was hoping you Beatles experts could save me the bother of doing this
    Well, we would have done the same thing. If you do go to that site, be sure to sort the auction prices by most recent. Prices have been dropping over the years.

Apparently, MOST copies are fakes. The way to tell is that, on the real one, you can read the hands on John's watch on the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Even that seems kinda high.
    Well, he's one who checks out how good the record sounds and bases his grade mostly on that. But I thought so, too. In fact, I think the sealed Y&T for $2500 is way too high, especially if it's not the Butchered Babies cover.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I guess one can always drop their price.

Not sure if this has been posted previously...if it has doesn't hurt to watch it again. Pretty decent sound and a great example of live Beatles!
    Dave Sr.

That made me want to watch the "Ringo's Theme" scene from AHDN. I never thought of it before but the bit when Ringo tries to take his own picture and his camera flies off into the water is straight out of a Laurel & Hardy movie. The first time I saw AHDN was when I was five or six and I've seen it countless times since. But it wasn't until just now that I saw that bit for what it is and now think it's pretty damn funny.

[this one's for you, Ronmac]

It's no news here on this forum that I am not a huge fan of The Beatles. I didn't grow up in the era they were active, but I sure heard the music and formed my own opinion of their music through the years. I appreciate a portion of their body of work, but I don't fawn over them as the ultimate music experience. I agree they are essential listening for history purposes, but your mileage may vary depending on taste.

For my kid (now 8yrs old) I let her choose her own path for music. Of course she favors the music that she has grown up with so far due to my listening habits and that of friends/family. She loves music. In October 2017, at barely 5.5yrs old she attended her first concert (Tears For Fears) and last year was her second (the band Live.) She loved both concerts, while wearing ear protection, of course! Both times she was fortunate to meet the bands backstage and have photos/autographs to cherish.

Fast forward to this last weekend. I was in my home office and she often wanders in to look through my memorabilia. She was looking through the boxed sets and asked about The Beatles. She said she saw the boxes and also remembers seeing the books I have on another shelf.

I immediately stopped everything and let her enjoy going through the stereo box set and thumb through a hardcover book I have. She enjoyed some of the music she heard. Some she laughed and said it sounded funny or weird. After lunch she was randomly singing, "Baby you can drive my car!"

Don't worry: in the afternoon she was listening to Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, The Weeknd, Taylor Swift, and all her other favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    [this one's for you, Ronmac]

It's no news here on this forum that I am not a huge fan of The Beatles. I didn't grow up in the era they were active, but I sure heard the music and formed my own opinion of their music through the years. I appreciate a portion of their body of work, but I don't fawn over them as the ultimate music experience. I agree they are essential listening for history purposes, but your mileage may vary depending on taste.

For my kid (now 8yrs old) I let her choose her own path for music. Of course she favors the music that she has grown up with so far due to my listening habits and that of friends/family. She loves music. In October 2017, at barely 5.5yrs old she attended her first concert (Tears For Fears) and last year was her second (the band Live.) She loved both concerts, while wearing ear protection, of course! Both times she was fortunate to meet the bands backstage and have photos/autographs to cherish.

Fast forward to this last weekend. I was in my home office and she often wanders in to look through my memorabilia. She was looking through the boxed sets and asked about The Beatles. She said she saw the boxes and also remembers seeing the books I have on another shelf.

I immediately stopped everything and let her enjoy going through the stereo box set and thumb through a hardcover book I have. She enjoyed some of the music she heard. Some she laughed and said it sounded funny or weird. After lunch she was randomly singing, "Baby you can drive my car!"

Don't worry: in the afternoon she was listening to Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, The Weeknd, Taylor Swift, and all her other favorites.
    Great post. Yes, I'm a HUUUUUGE fan.

I have a neighbor who suggested I borrow her "Kids Sing The Beatles" CD (or whatever the title was). She stated that it was a good way to introduce kids to The Beatles. Of course, it was too late. But, why? I see no reason to not simply use the real music. It's not like one needs a music degree to appreciate great songwriting, killer harmonies and the catchiest songs.

Maybe I asked this question before, but how about some recommendations for books on the Beatles? Besides the massive Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, which I have. Are the Phillip Norman books any good?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This is one of my faves: "Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles" by Geoff Emerick.

Also, "Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years by Mark Lewisohn", which details childhood, teenage and Hamburg years, ending on Dec 31, 1962.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Maybe I asked this question before, but how about some recommendations for books on the Beatles? Besides the massive Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, which I have. Are the Phillip Norman books any good?
    Peter Doggett's You Never Give Me Your Money navigates the sprawling mess which followed the split.