Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That is disappointing to hear. I haven't seen it. My family saw it, as did some other acquaintances. I had heard the same about how surprisingly good it was. And, "You'd like it." I was prepared to approach it with an open mind, but kinda knew better. I do find the plot interesting.
    It's nothing great, but it's worth seeing. Strange movie. They throw in a lot of ideas that never go anywhere and mysteries that are never resolved.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

There was a hitherto-lost version of 'Love Me Do' for the show Side By Side which turned up a few years ago. Great quality and accidentally recorded by a Karl Denver Trio fan who simply left the tape running! Maybe even the best version of the track I've heard, with a natural ending as opposed to a fade. Not sure if it's on YouTube.

I got something in a trade years ago titled .....Beatles Off White. It's good, I guess. I personally prefer their actual albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I got something in a trade years ago titled .....Beatles Off White. It's good, I guess. I personally prefer their actual albums.
    That one is pictured in my collage on the previous page.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah I'm not into bootlegs. I just like their official releases.

Burp.....

I do find the plot interesting.
    Except that the plot isn't what you think it is... entirely. That was half of what I found disappointing about it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I just remembered I have a Beatles boot. I haven't even listened to the whole thing and I've had it for 30some years. I'm not even sure what it is. It's got no picture on the jacket and no info on the label. I only listened to a very short segment of it and I think it might be an interview with John. It could be the whole Beatles but I never listened long enough to find out.

But here's the really weird thing: I don't even know where it came from! I'm dead serious about that. I think one of two ex girlfriends got it for me, didn't tell me about it, and slipped it into my record collection. I didn't find it for years and by then, I wasn't talking to either one of them. And no one ever told me about it.

It's the mystery record.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Except that the plot isn't what you think it is... entirely. That was half of what I found disappointing about it.
    Oh, it's a sub-plot?

I just remembered I have a Beatles boot. I haven't even listened to the whole thing and I've had it for 30some years. I'm not even sure what it is. It's got no picture on the jacket and no info on the label. I only listened to a very short segment of it and I think it might be an interview with John. It could be the whole Beatles but I never listened long enough to find out.

But here's the really weird thing: I don't even know where it came from! I'm dead serious about that. I think one of two ex girlfriends got it for me, didn't tell me about it, and slipped it into my record collection. I didn't find it for years and by then, I wasn't talking to either one of them. And no one ever told me about it.

It's the mystery record.
    Is there anything etched into the inner groove?

Are you saying the entire thing is an interview?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Oh, it's a sub-plot?
    No, it's more like the plot turns in a different direction and the movie becomes something else entirely.

Is there anything etched into the inner groove?
    Well bust my buttons. There is!

One side says JL-517-A and the other says JL-517-B.

I assume the JL is for John Lennon and the A & B are the sides. No idea on the 517.

Are you saying the entire thing is an interview?
    That was my original supposition. Here's what I remember: I found the record and couldn't listen to it right then so I just dropped the needle to see what it was. It was John Lennon speaking. I didn't even listen to 10 seconds of it. I always meant to go back and listen to it but eventually forgot... until now. And unfortunately my turntable isn't hooked up.

Something else I just discovered when I went to find it is that I have two copies of Badfinger's Straight Up. WTF?

I just discovered something else about it, Ron. There's a small discoloration in one corner of the jacket that looks like old glue, like from tape or a sticker. The store must have used a plain sticker and wrote the name of the album and price on it because it left a slight indentation in the jacket. The price was $7. At the top is a word I can't make out but the first three letters look like "L", "E", and "N".

I may have to hook up my turntable tomorrow and finally listen to this thing.

Edit: I just checked and $7 35 years ago is $17.67 today. Someone must have really liked me.

Edit Two: FWIW, the jacket is white and the label is silver.
    Last edited by Hal...; 01-04-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Well bust my buttons. There is!

One side says JL-517-A and the other says JL-517-B.

I assume the JL is for John Lennon and the A & B are the sides. No idea on the 517.

That was my original supposition. Here's what I remember: I found the record and couldn't listen to it right then so I just dropped the needle to see what it was. It was John Lennon speaking. I didn't even listen to 10 seconds of it. I always meant to go back and listen to it but eventually forgot... until now. And unfortunately my turntable isn't hooked up.
    That's the Telecasts bootleg. Yours is a plain label version. Is it colored vinyl like this one?

https://www.discogs.com/John-Lennon-...elease/7226866

It's from their week-long cohosting stint on the Mike Douglas Show. So, there is sone interview, but lots' of music, too. I have this version:

http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=no1996

Something else I just discovered when I went to find it is that I have two copies of Badfinger's Straight Up. WTF?
    Original pressings? If so, $$$

Holy shit, I think I just discovered what it is: John Lennon ‎– Telecasts

Holy shit, I think I just discovered what it is: John Lennon ‎– Telecasts
    Yes, I was also mistaken in my info about it. It was from various TV appearances. Not just the Mike Douglas stuff.

Some great live performances

My brother contacted one of the women and she said, "I remember giving him some sort of bootleg album that I found somewhere; maybe that's it? I only vaguely remember that much, so I couldn't say more than that for sure."

Original pressings? If so, $$$
    Yep. I remembered that one is my brother's copy that I stole from him years ago. It's not in very good condition. The other is the replacement I bought for myself. It's in near mint condition. I don't think I spent that much for it, either.

Yep. I remembered that one is my brother's copy that I stole from him years ago. It's not in very good condition. The other is the replacement I bought for myself. It's in near mint condition. I don't think I spent that much for it, either.
    https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksea...ht+up&sortord=

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I think that one was some sort of permutation of what became known as the 'Esher Demos'. Those were finally officially released in 2018. Anthology 3 had a few of them as well.

I guess Let It Be will be next for the revamped treatment. We know that the film is coming out at some stage and I guess they'd do a new version of the album. There is, I suppose, the original shelved Glyn Johns version of the album called Get Back but I think that's quite poor. Various sloppy takes, badly sequenced.

FWIW I like Let It Be...Naked, some fans don't. It isn't perfect, but I see it as the most coherent release of this material to date.

For those of you who understand written Norwegian, a review of "She loves You". Hillarious!
    TheBeatles-i-Norge2.jpg

Yes, those are Esher demos.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There is, I suppose, the original shelved Glyn Johns version of the album called Get Back but I think that's quite poor.
    I'll have to disagree with that. It's certainly unfinished, but a far better representation than what Phil Spector put together. Granted, Spector brought some of the material closer to commercial release level, despite his egregious overdubs. But the intent of the album was to "Get Back' to being a stripped-down, four-piece band, which is what the unreleased version accomplishes, IMHO.

I think it's certainly release-worthy and would be greatly disappointed if it isn't done as part of the anniversary.

I'm still wondering why there were never anniversary releases of AHDN, Help, Rubber Soul and Revolver. Maybe they got on the train too late.

I'm not a fan of Spector's version either. But one thing he did get right, mostly, was the take selection. The one exception for me is 'The Long And Winding Road'. The take chosen for the film and ultimately ...Naked is definitive IMHO.

The versions of 'Dig A Pony', 'Don't Let Me Down' and 'I've Got A Feeling' that Glyn Johns used all fall apart. 'Two Of Us' is not a great take either IMHO.

I think Rubber Soul is the one album most in need of a stereo remix. The 1965 one barely counts as a proper stereo mix at all and the 80s remix basically only narrows that.

I think Rubber Soul is the one album most in need of a stereo remix. The 1965 one barely counts as a proper stereo mix at all and the 80s remix basically only narrows that.
    Any stereo mix prior to MMT was not overseen by the band. The monos are all definitive.

Pepper also needs a proper one, since Giles Martin, for some silly reason, felt the need to modernize the mix.

Happened to catch an old episode of That 70s Show, last night. There was a character in it by the name of Stuart Sutcliffe. I had to rewind that bit to make sure I heard it right.

I think the only surviving recordings with Sutcliffe are those living room tapes where the bass guitar sounds like an elastic band!

I think the only surviving recordings with Sutcliffe are those living room tapes where the bass guitar sounds like an elastic band!
    He couldn't play, anyway. He typically would keep his back to the audience so they couldn't see that he couldn't. But, he was one hell of an artist, that's for sure.

Just curious...I still have my original Beatles albums that I brought with me when I emigrated to Canada in 1966. Obviously played a lot on scratch boxes so not in good condition. Are they still valuable?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature