Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles' Thread

By the way, today would've been George Harrison's 75th birthday.

I could not pick four Beatles songs, so I won't even try.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Welcome back, dude! One song I’ve been digging a lot lately is Love You Too. A great combination of peace/love and independence. I don’t even know what album it’s on! I guess the gist of the title is “I love myself enough to protect myself, and I love you too.” Truly a good message.

I guess I approached the My Fab Four thing by thinking what were my ORIGINAL Fab Four when I was a kid. If I chose my current, adult Fab Four it might be different. But I definitely love the four I chose, and their psychedelic sounds still do it for me. Plus I tied my Fab Four into progressive music when I recorded my “show.”
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-01-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Welcome back, dude!
    Thanks.

Top of my list is "A Day in the Life." I wouldn't know where to go from there.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Impossible task for me - I can only go with my gut off the top of my head, totally subjective of course and will change next time I think about it. Same crap, slightly different permutation for consumer 292-39030-39493.2:

- Tomorrow Never Knows
    - Strawberry Fields Forever
    - A Day in the Life
    - Rain

If I was in a cover band I'd like to do a medley of this:

Revolution (slow)
    Get Back
    Revolution (fast)
    Hey Jude

That'd be a helluva set closer.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Impossible task for me - I can only go with my gut off the top of my head, totally subjective of course and will change next time I think about it. Same crap, slightly different permutation for consumer 292-39030-39493.2:

- Tomorrow Never Knows
    - Strawberry Fields Forever
    - A Day in the Life
    - Rain
    That's a great list.

And Your Bird Can Sing
    Eleanor Rigby
    Glass Onion
    Nowhere Man

Tomorrow Never Knows
    Revolution No 9
    Helter Skelter
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)

The avant-fan's Fab Four. I do like the other stuff as well, but amazing to think that these toe-tappers shared albums with Elanor Rigby, Honey Pie and Here Comes the Sun.

And now, a bit of fun...

Watched the first 2 episodes of the Anthology this past week. I never get tired of it. It's pretty hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watched the first 2 episodes of the Anthology this past week. I never get tired of it. It's pretty hilarious.
    Yep, really great stuff. I finally replaced my bedroom DVD player with one that actually plays my copy.

You can put on any volume and become riveted in not time at all.

Yeah it (the DVD set) was money well spent. I watch the whole set on average once a year. Never get tired of it. Do you get the sense from watching it that George was probably sick already?

Yeah it (the DVD set) was money well spent. I watch the whole set on average once a year. Never get tired of it. Do you get the sense from watching it that George was probably sick already?
    Hard to tell. But, considering he smoked for such a long time, I cannot imagine he felt great.

He didn't seem healthy in that video at the end where he's playing with Paul and Ringo. RIP George.

Being a kid during the British Invasion was very impressionable to me and anyone I ever met as a child or early teens. In the beginning ... selective parents would forbid The Beatles music in their household. But that selective aspect often crossed the line with the "middle class" average working folks who overtime applied the same rules. The Beatles were offensive to a huge percentage of the older generation...trust me on that...and they applied strict rules mostly in the beginning of the Beatle craze....A few years later songs like "Yesterday" and "Paperback Writer" appeared and the initial reaction grew more diminished. I went to a friend's house to hear "Paperback Writer" . The record had just been released. He put the 45rpm on the spindle and he asked me to listen to the bass guitar. He said that The Beatles were changing their sound. It was right around that time that everyone on the planet began talking about this. Then the single "Yellow Submarine" and Revolver and so on...changed people's attitudes. People who thought much less of them. Where upon as a kid I often heard statements like this: "They really shouldn't be playing American Music" "An English accent in "Roll Over Beethoven?" "They're ruining the song" ...This reaction dwindled down a bit after people of this nature...began to hear songs like "She's Leaving Home" and "Day In A Life" and realized The Beatles were good writers.

All kids ...all through elementary school, middle school. High school...progressed with The Beatles. We all began with the Early Beatles..Beatlemania..and transformed into this utopia of Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. Then they became diminished from reality. In 64', 65' ..people acted as if the messiah landed at JFK ...girls throwing themselves everywhere at concerts..trying to chase down The Beatles. having personal meltdowns on camera etc. Lennon's "Christ Statement" brought pressure upon the youth. It became headline news with religious kooks and ...basically in the church of your choice. Particularly in 66' when military old school rules were forced on a child in America ..that was not a good thing to say..or have printed ..even if Lennon was misquoted ..let me reassure you...this was not the 21st century and people reacted harshly. Parents who went to church on Sunday's were not about to allow their kids to listen to The Beatles after that statement. It was brutal and it did suck. My friends and I had to beg for our Beatles albums back. In point this insight refers to the extremism existing in America that evolved into dangerous drama.

People ..in general...taking their lyricism way too seriously which is a misconception on behalf of John Lennon's killer ..along with thousands of religious people in America who could not understand the nature of a culture in England let alone the ignorant stupidity of not accepting that it may differ from ours...and that's how pathetic America's reaction was to The Beatles. Yet Capitol Records and their capitalist monopoly with The Beatles was never acknowledged by the average Beatles fan for it's disgraceful and evil exploitation of The Beatles. Their idea to get Park Place and Boardwalk on the Monopoly board before anyone else , put singles on the American Beatles albums..was not exactly the idea The Beatles had in mind. If you listen to "With The Beatles..it's more honest..more raw. If you listen to "Meet The Beatles" your listening to a sales pitch...to a degree you are. So it was like.."America wants you Beatles..but you must mend your ways to our policies" John Lennon didn't go for that. The Kinks had the same related issues regarding behavior . I remember John Lennon in his Beatle suit responding to American news reporters and talk show hosts questions with sarcastic quirky answers that just threw them through a loop hole, shocked them, offended them ...blah. blah John Lennon had a major impact on the American youth in the early 60's and that was basically an overall rebellious attitude to speak freely and by cutting like a razor into the censorship restrictions, he influenced American kids to approach life differently. He was honest. That's probably why he's dead.
    Last edited by Enidi; 04-01-2018 at 09:10 PM.

^^ Great post. Not sure about the last line, though.

Jeezuz how many Beatles threads are there?

Well, I mentioned earlier I bought a bass a few weeks ago. I've been mostly playing along to classic rock, and heavy metal. I'll tell you now since I got back into bass the hardest group for me to play along to is the Beatles. They had a lot of fancy chord changes. I'm practicing along with AC/DC (suckit Ron...) who are kinda easy to play to. At some point I'll graduate to the Beatles.......

I'm practicing along with AC/DC (suckit Ron...)

Seriously, though, AC/DC has a soft spot in my heart, they were the opening band of my first real concert in November of '77. Of course, I went to see Rush (AFtK). However, that fateful night, the heavens bestowed upon me a great gift that has left an indelible memory. Bon Scott got sick and only Rush played. I'll always be grateful to Mr. Scott for sparing me the torture.

Honestly, AC/DC is easy to play too, but it's all about the groove, the tone, and staying in the pocket. And the songs are great.

Honestly, AC/DC is easy to play too, but it's all about the groove, the tone, and staying in the pocket. And the songs are great.
    And bobbing your head incessantly.

Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    And bobbing your head incessantly.
    Bang That Head That Doesn't Bang!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here's this, just for fun and because. (I always loved the early 60s version on Anthology 1)

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Was Besame Mucho on an album or was it B-side originally?