Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What books on prog music and prog artists would you recommend?

Of those not mentioned I liked Andy Summers's memoir (some prog content), Edward Macan's book about ELP and Yesstories by Tim Morse.

There was a book in the early 90's by a writer named Cole Gagne titled Sonic Transports about Fred Frith and the Residents, as well as Glenn Branca and Blue Gene Tyranny (two artists I haven't followed as much). Don't know how easy it is to find now.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Of those not mentioned I liked Andy Summers's memoir (some prog content), Edward Macan's book about ELP and Yesstories by Tim Morse.

Yup, Summers book is a good one too.

Not sure if they qualify as "Prog", But I enjoyed Skydog, The Duane Allman Story by Randy Poe and Touched By Magic, The Tommy Bolin Story by Greg Prado. Also, I think the Jaco bio by Bill Milkowski is great.

Sid Smith's book "In the Court of King Crimson" is fantastic. Glad I got a copy cause I think it's out of print, though there was talk of an updated version being released at some point. Loved Bruford and Summers books too.

While not a reading book, I really like Tony Levin's photography book "Crimson Chronicles" too
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Dunno if he's prog enough, but as a musician, I found David Byrne's How Music Works a fantastic read.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Music-Wor.../dp/1938073533

I'm reading "What You Want is in the Limo" which chronicles the 1973 tours of Alice Cooper, the Who, and Led Zeppelin. The author posits that this was the advent of the monster tours and big time spectacle in arenas, when rock music became big business. It took a while to get going but once we got to the point where Roger punched Pete so hard his feet came off the floor it's gotten entertaining.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart