Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Misleading band names

-=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Which samples PG's "Sledgehammer"
    "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!"

(damn, I spent too much time in the 80's watching TV!)

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Yummy Yummy Yummy was Ohio Express, not 1910 Fruitgum Company
    Well, then apparently, it's Ohio Express I've heard, not 1910 Fruitgum Company then. (shrug)

All this bubblegum chat reminds me of a band with the opposite of this thread i.e. with perhaps the most apt band name ever Middle of the Road.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Same here. The reason I got into "progressive rock" was because I heard the 80's Asia, Yes, and Genesis hits and got curious to go back and check out what these guys had done before. And frankly, I wanted to know what a band could do with a song that would take an entire LP side, as well as the Roger Dean artwork. I guess there were millions and millions of people who weren't so curious. (shrug)
    Very similar to how I started out. I often wonder how many Yes fans who came in with 90125 are still around, and how many were flavor-of-the-day fans who long ago moved on. I suspect that not many of us made the transition into the back catalog and stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Then there's this golden gem....

That's a great song. Sublime was awesome!!! RIP - Bradley Nowell. The dude was going to be huge. Very sad tale. Don't do drugs, kiddies.
    The Prog Corner

I just saw Avantasia play at a festival. They were not avant and they didn't sound that much like Asia either.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Very similar to how I started out. I often wonder how many Yes fans who came in with 90125 are still around, and how many were flavor-of-the-day fans who long ago moved on. I suspect that not many of us made the transition into the back catalog and stuck around.
    Or how many only like that one album, or only the albums that Rabin is on.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I just saw Avantasia play at a festival. They were not avant and they didn't sound that much like Asia either.
    No, true...but they were fucking brilliant, weren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No, true...but they were fucking brilliant, weren't they?
    Well, I went in thinking "I'm not really into that kind of metal, but the few tracks I've heard from these guys weren't bad at all and I'm here anyway, so why not check out a couple of songs before going home" (they were the last act of the day). I ended up watching the entire two hour set, so you could say that they won me over!

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    A good one. While I know Avantasia, and you are right on both points, this has never occured to me. Thank you!