Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derek Sherinian/Planet X

Derek Sherinian/Planet X

I gave Derek's first solo album Planet X a spin last night for the first time in a long while. What a great record! I just love Virgil Donati's playing - what a monster... looks like I'm heading for a Sherinian/Planet X band kick! The six albums I have are all very good to great. A question though: of the albums I don't have, which do you guys think should be my next purchase? I am missing Mythology, Molecular Heinosity, Oceana as well as Planet X's Quantum. Bear in mind I am much more drawn to the fusion-y side of things than the metallish side. Oh, I also don't have the Planet X live album.
    Last edited by Progatron; 01-17-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Holdsworth plays om Quantum.
    I like the album, strong compositions, but I dont hear it too often - the sound is somewhat too massive and the dont improvise as much as I usually like.

I agree with Quantum. Holdsworth plays on two tracks, but the rest of the guitar work is by Brett Garsed who played on Sherinain's solo Planet X album.

Oceana is a head on collision between Jeff Beck guitar rock/fusion and Planet X. A sure fire winner for you (and me)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    What a great record! I just love Virgil Donati's playing - what a monster...
    FWIW he is possibly responsible for writing some of the music that you enjoy. Get the live one - I was at that gig in Melbourne and the band played one song twice because they didn't quite nail it the first time! I used to see him every week in a fusion band called Loose Change here in Melbourne (in the early 90's), and some of the tunes shared similar music to that first album, although not as heavy - but still with the monster drumming. It was every Wed night and the venue was packed with muso's bowing down at the altar of Donati.

Bear in mind I am much more drawn to the fusion-y side of things than the metallish side.
    Big Moonbabies and Quantum fan here. Get the Live from Oz album, avoid Molecular Heinosity. You might like Donatis "On the virg-Serious young insects"

what a monster...
    I very much enjoyed a gig with Holdsworth, Donati and Haslip at a small venue in Berlin last may.

Quantum for sure!

Quantum! ( but seriously EVERYTHING is great! )

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    A question though: of the albums I don't have, which do you guys think should be my next purchase? I am missing Mythology, Molecular Heinosity, Oceana as well as Planet X's Quantum. Bear in mind I am much more drawn to the fusion-y side of things than the metallish side. Oh, I also don't have the Planet X live album.
    Sherinian's albums are more on the fusion side and Planet X is more like prog metal instrumentals with a bit of fusion. Virgil writes most of the material for Planet X and I find it to be more interesting rhythmically but less melodic than the way Derek writes. Moon Babies is the only Planet X that I find myself listening to much. PX is great stuff, but a bit exhausting if you sit through an entire album. I've never heard Mythology or Molecular Heiniosity, but I have Oceana and I like it.

Quantum.

You also might want to track down (Virgil Donaiti's) On The Virg - Serious Young Insects. It is in a similar vein as the Planet X stuff, but all written by Donati.

If you're not already familiar, check out the bands: Exivious, Panzerballett, 7for4, Counter-World Experience.
    Last edited by simon moon; 01-18-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I love Derek Sherinian. I think he's a keyboard God. The only stuff I have with him is Black Country Communion (all 3 albums). He's under utilized on those albums but he's great. The other thing I have by him is his cover of Jeff Beck's "Star Cycle." I have it on a sampler that came with Spock Beard's "Feel Euphoria."

Holdsworth is also on Mythology btw. One or 2 tracks only,but I buy anything that man is playing on. I have not heard Heinosity or Oceana yet. The Live Planet X is ungodly good. Iirc,it's Tony Mcalpine on that and recorded in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Holdsworth is also on Mythology btw. One or 2 tracks only,but I buy anything that man is playing on. I have not heard Heinosity or Oceana yet. The Live Planet X is ungodly good. Iirc,it's Tony Mcalpine on that and recorded in Australia.
    I'm always willing to hear anything Holdsy plays on as well. His two solos on PX's Quantum are sublime.

I haven't heard PX's live album, but I saw them live once. Tony MacAlpine was playing guitar. It was a great show!

Black Utopia is my favorite DS album and it gets overlooked with all the Planet X talk. BU should have been a PX album imho.

Ernie,you should at least Spotify Live from Oz just to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Ernie,you should at least Spotify Live from Oz just to check it out.
    The trouble with Spotify is that you have to have Facebook and I don't want it! I would like to hear that album though. Perhaps I'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    The trouble with Spotify is that you have to have Facebook and I don't want it! I would like to hear that album though. Perhaps I'll get it.
    Even the $4.99 per month plan?

The eons are closing
    I have two Planet X discs; the "solo" album and Live from Oz. Dislike Planet X

However, I thoroughly enjoy the DS albums; in particular Black Utopia, Mythology and Blood of the Snake
    These three get tons of play in Casa MudShark
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Moonbabies and Quantum are more like Black Utopia and Mythology imho.

Quote Originally Posted by magmaniac View Post
    Big Moonbabies and Quantum fan here. Get the Live from Oz album, avoid Molecular Heinosity. You might like Donatis "On the virg-Serious young insects"

I very much enjoyed a gig with Holdsworth, Donati and Haslip at a small venue in Berlin last may.
    Any ideas where to find the live disc? My local record store can order it for me, but they want $30!

Get Virgil Donati - In This Life, awesome release from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
    Get Virgil Donati - In This Life, awesome release from last year.
    Agree!!! one of my favorites from last year! A wonderful album.

Yane

Both Virgil and Derek play on the new CD by Allesandro Bertoni - I've heard two tracks from it on a show called Jawdy's Basement on SHRock and they were great.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Any ideas where to find the live disc? My local record store can order it for me, but they want $30!
    WOW! New this thing is fetching up to $45. Amazon has a used one for under $17.

ARMOURY RECORDS TO RE-ISSUE FIVE OF DEREK SHERINIAN'S SOLO ALBUMS:

On February 11, 2014, Eagle Rock's rock label Armoury Records is delighted to be reissuing five of Derek Sherinian's solo albums. [MSRP $13.98 each] As one of the most talented, respected and in-demand keyboard players in rock, he is known for attacking, confident and instantly recognizable style. A former member of Dream Theater and Black Country Communion, he has also played with Alice Cooper, Kiss, Billy Idol, Yngwie Malmsteen and Black Label Society. He is also a member of the supergroup Portnoy, Sheehan, MacAlpine, Sherinian (PSMS).

The first of Armoury's reissue series is Inertia, which was Derek Sherinian's second solo album, originally released in 2001. It marks the start of his long-term collaboration with Toto drummer Simon Phillips and includes contributions from Zakk Wylde, Steve Lukather and Tony Franklin. Black Utopia was the third solo album, originally released in 2003. It features contributions from Zakk Wylde, Steve Lukather, Simon Phillips, Billy Sheehan, Yngwie Malmsteen and Al Di Meola. The track Axis Of Evil features a stunning guitar duel between metal icons Zakk Wylde and Yngwie Malmsteen.

Fourth came Mythology, originally released in 2004. It features contributions from Zakk Wylde, Steve Lukather, Simon Phillips, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Stevens and a rare guest appearance by John Sykes. Blood Of The Snake was Derek Sherinian's fifth solo album, originally released in 2006. It features contributions from Billy Idol, Slash, Zakk Wylde, John Petrucci, Simon Phillips, Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Lukather among others. Molecular Heinosity was Derek Sherinian's sixth solo album, originally released in 2009. This album features contributions from Zakk Wylde, Virgil Donati, Brian Tichy and Tony Franklin.

Armoury's reissue of these five Derek Sherinian solo albums represents their release at mid-price for the first time and is the perfect way to enjoy this incredible talent, described by Guitar World as the “King Of Keys”.

Additionally, a direct-to-consumer store will be available with all 5 CD's and an exclusive shirt bundle. Click here to view link: www.theomegaorder.com/DerekSherinian