Page 110 of 160 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

I listen to this all the time. They play that often. Good background music for working.

http://radiodismuke.com
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I listen to this all the time. They play that often. Good background music for working.

http://radiodismuke.com
    Bookmarked. Thanks.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^^ A lot of pre-war pop, consider yourself warned. Innocent stuff, but you might get some eye rolls.

What's really interesting is that there's some German-language music. There must have been quite a market before the war.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ A lot of pre-war pop, consider yourself warned.
    I already listened to a little of it. It reminds me of the music you hear in old movies. At my last job, I was in rental cars much of the time and used to listen to satellite radio. One of my favorite channels was "40s on 4", that played mostly pop & swing from the '30s & '40s. I like that kind of music. In fact, I've often wished I lived during that time. And there are lots of thing from that era that I love: the style of illustration prevalent then (it's probably the main reason why I love the movie Dumbo), those old phones, clothes, cars, trains, etc. Life seemed to be a lot simpler then.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I prefer the less-polished stuff from before the Swing Age. There was an online station I used to listen to that played pre-war blues. It's not around anymore. I can listen to that all friggin' day.

FWIW, I have two stations on my Itunes Radio list: Radio Dismuke and Progrock.com. I don't use Itunes for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Great set of gams and what a caboose! (my wife will kill me for that)
    Just finished watching Of Human Bondage. I see what you mean, now. I guess I was right: I'd never seen her in the right outfit. BTW, how hot was she when she came out in that slinky negligee and tried to seduce Leslie Howard?

Oh and while I never condone violence against women, Leslie Howard would have been justified after what she did to him. Man, what a bitch.

Had a mini Bette Davis marathon, today, starting with 20,000 Years in Sing Sing, followed by Of Human Bondage, and finished with The Working Man.

All were good movies but I really enjoyed The Working Man. It stars George Arliss as John Reeves, the owner of the Reeves shoe company whose arch business rival and former best friend, Tom Hartland, has just died. Arliss decides to go fishing when he realizes the Hartland shoe company is adrift and will eventually go out of business. During his fishing trip, Reeves ends up making friends with Hartland's son & daughter (Bette Davis) who are nothing more than spoiled brats living off the wealth their father built. At some point, I had an idea where the story was going and I was right. And, yet, it was still really enjoyable to watch.

This movie is available to stream on TCM's website until December 5th. I recommend all of you see it. It's a lot of fun.

Maltin gives this 3 stars. I thought it was better than that.
    Last edited by Hal...; 11-10-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Had a mini Bette Davis marathon, today, starting with 20,000 Years in Sing Sing, followed by Of Human Bondage, and finished with The Working Man.

All were good movies but I really enjoyed The Working Man. It stars George Arliss as John Reeves, the owner of the Reeves shoe company whose arch business rival and former best friend, Tom Hartland, has just died. Arliss decides to go fishing when realizes the Hartland shoe company is adrift and will eventually go out of business. During his fishing trip, Reeves ends up making friends with Hartland's son & daughter (Bette Davis) who are nothing more than spoiled brats living off the wealth their father built. At some point, I had an idea where the story was going and I was right. And, yet, it was still really enjoyable to watch.

This movie is available to stream on TCM's website until December 5th. I recommend all you see it. It's a lot of fun.

Maltin gives this 3 stars. I thought it was better than that.
    OMG, I’ve been trying to figure out what movie this is for years! I saw it over ten years ago but couldn’t remember the title. Everyone thought I was thinking of Hobbe’s Choice, which was frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    OMG, I’ve been trying to figure out what movie this is for years! I saw it over ten years ago but couldn’t remember the title. Everyone thought I was thinking of Hobbe’s Choice, which was frustrating.
    So, what did you think of it, Jed?

These are all early BD films I know little about but should catch up on. This isn't like me as I really like lesser know films, music etc. The celebrated things we are more familiar with but you had to do something to get to that point.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Watched two more Bette Davis movies last night: Bureau of Missing Persons and Three On a Match. Both were good, in the 2˝-3 star range.

Bureau... is listed as a drama. It's more like a dramedy, tho. I found Pat O'Brien's character a little annoying. Bette co-stars.

Three... is an interesting movie that I liked better. Stars Joan Blondell, Ann Dvorak, and Bette as childhood friends. Dvorak's really good in it as a wealthy wife and mother who's bored with life and falls down the rabbit hole of partying and drug use. Joan is good, too; she's so freakin' cute, tho, you almost don't care. Bette has more of a supporting role than a lead and is almost wasted. Still, there's a shot of her in a bathing suit, so that was a nice surprise. Bogey is also in a supporting role as a henchman to Edward Albert, who has one scene in it, iirc.

Jerol's right: Bette's got a booty.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    These are all early BD films I know little about but should catch up on.
    If you were going to pick just one, see The Working Man. It's a comedy. Bette has more of a supporting role. I thought she was really cute in it, tho.

Just a reminder with all of this BD talk, she's the star of the month. That means movies all day tomorrow:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.ht...ate=2019-11-12

Just a reminder with all of this BD talk, she's the star of the month. That means movies all day tomorrow:

Thanks Ron.

Petrified Forest and Marked Woman. Excellent! Haven't seen the two in between so it looks like I'm gonna be watching TCM for about 6 hours tomorrow.

I'm not usually affected by violence but there's a scene in Marked Woman that is rough. Bogey plays a D.A. trying to convince Davis and her "co-workers" to testify against the mobster they work for.

Recommended.

So they only do Star of the Month movies on Tuesdays; is that what you're implying?

I saw Arsenic and Old Lace again over the weekend. What a brilliant comedy! There are dead people all over the house (mostly in "Panama" down in the basement), but the pace and structure of the film don't even allow you to dwell on the 12 murders (or is it 13 -- don't forget Mr. Spinalzo in the window seat!). The amount of character actors (and they are all "characters" in a literal and metaphorical sense) could fill a Who's Who of Hollywood: Josephine Hull and Jean Adair (the crazy but kind murderous aunts), John Alexander (the greatest representation of Teddy Roosevelt of all time, whether charging up the stairs or digging the Panama locks), Raymond Massey (who looks like "Karloff"), Peter Lorre (enough said), Jack Carson, James Gleason, Edward Everett Horton, Charles Lane, etc.

And then there's Cary Grant, who plays manic and annoyed perhaps better than anyone else in Hollywood. He is on the edge of insanity until he finds out he's the son of a sea cook.

One of my all time favorites.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    So they only do Star of the Month movies on Tuesdays; is that what you're implying?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I saw Arsenic and Old Lace again over the weekend. ...

One of my all time favorites.
    My wife's all-time favorite. My 16-year-old likes it, too. Credit Teddy with that.

Personally, I think Grant is a tad over the top for my taste, even though I love those old screwball comedies. But, given the times, one can't slight him. I think the only weakness of the cast is his fiancé. But, that a minor nitpick.

I've said it once and will say it again. Jezebel kicks Gone With the Wind bottom all over the screen. What, no, The Letter? How can this be Ron?

What, no, The Letter? How can this be Ron?
    Next Tuesday.

Here's the entire list of movies they're showing this month.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...-November.html

You can start drooling.

Next Tuesday.

Here's the entire list of movies they're showing this month.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...-November.html

You can start drooling.
    Thank you. I think she looks good here to. With those big eyes......We seem to be taken with her don't we.

Thank you. I think she looks good here to. With those big eyes......We seem to be taken with her don't we.
    With me, it's more about her acting ability than anything. I never found her particularly pretty. That doesn't mean she's not attractive, though.

With me, it's more about her acting ability than anything. I never found her particularly pretty. That doesn't mean she's not attractive, though.
    I always thought she was overly melodramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I can see that. But, she did get ten Best Actress nominations and probably should have had more.

I agree but she was so freaking dynamic it didn't matter.

I can see that. But, she did get ten Best Actress nominations and probably should have had more.
    Who was the women that appeared in a daytime soap, got all kinds of nominations but never won the award for this category? Dark hair, rather attractive. Can't pull up her name.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I think some of that was just her personality, she was probably a nice person off the screen.

Who was the women that appeared in a daytime soap, got all kinds of nominations but never won the award for this category? Dark hair, rather attractive. Can't pull up her name.
    Possibly Erica from All My Children. Don't ask how I might know that.