Page 124 of 159 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 3968

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

[QUOTE=nycsteve;975716 Early thirties , EGR as a Chinese assasin. The rest of the cast is caucasion playing Chinese.

On edit. The Hatchet Man , 1932 . EGR and Loretta Young amongst others. 645 tomorrow morning[/QUOTE]

I've seen it before and I watched it again this morning. I like the story but the movie is excruciating to watch. The makeup to make Caucasians look Chinese is so cringing.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I watched "Little Caesar" last night, even though I saw it a few weeks ago. MAN is it great! That look on his face when he backs off after his friend tells him to go ahead and shoot him is acting at its finest. He was one of the true GIANTS.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Vittorio De Sica’s Shoeshine
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Eddie G is on tonight!

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Cape Fear is on TCM tonight at 10.

Tomorrow at 8:00 is "The General" followed by a Buster Keaton doc.

For some strange reason, I got in the mood for one of those '60s British sci-fi movies and decided to check TCM. Today at 5:45 pm (EDT) is The Hill, one of Sidney Lumet's all time best movies. Sean Connery puts in one of his best ever performances and Harry Andrews is a 'right bastard', one of cinema's great villains. Also stars Ossie Davis, Ian Bannen, and Michael Redgrave (father of Vanessa & Lynn).

I've hardly watched anything, be it a TV show or movie, for the past few weeks, opting instead to read. The Hill isn't sci-fi but I will definitely be tuning in for this! Watch or record it. You won't be disappointed.

--------------------

Available to stream is The Vanishing (1988), a Dutch-French movie that got good reviews and which Stanley Kubrick supposedly thought was the most terrifying movie he'd ever seen. May have to stream this tonight. There's no Maltin review of it but on RottenTomatoes it scored a 98% from critics and an 88% from the audience. Here's the synopsis:

The Vanishing is a deeply disturbing psychological thriller about a young man's search for his girlfriend after she disappears at a rest stop during a short trip. Over the course of three years, the man obsessively searches for her, using his spare time to put up posters and leave handbills, hoping that someone will give him a clue to the mystery surrounding her disappearance. Another man, having watched the man for some time, is intrigued by his increasing obsession and finally contacts him. He then gives the man the opportunity to learn firsthand of his girlfriend's fate. The film, frightening and moving with a chilling conclusion, is a small masterpiece as director George Sluizer confronts and examines the true nature of evil and obsession.

Note: it's only available until the 20th.

--------------------

Also available is a movie that I really, really liked when I first saw it at the drive-in... in 1973. I've seen it since and it's not great, but it's a way to kill an hour and a half. It also put Brian de Palma on the map. The movie is Sisters and stars a very young Margot Kidder and Charles Durning. It's kind of a mix of Rear Window and sci-fi. de Palma was/is known for ripping off Hitch and you can see it here.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Tomorrow at 8:00 is "The General" followed by a Buster Keaton doc.
    Did you watch any of it? Jesus, the print is pristine!!!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Did you watch any of it? Jesus, the print is pristine!!!
    most of it.

I watched "The Hill", from 1965, on TCM recently. Stars Sean Connery as one of the prisoners in a WWII British military prison in North Africa. Sidney Lumet, whom I associate mostly with films set in NYC, is the director. He uses a lot of extreme close-ups of the actor's faces, which ratchets up the tension later in the story, as the prisoners suffer brutality at the hands of the sadistic guards. Connery is fantastic, but as good as he is, I enjoyed the performance of Ossie Davis even more, especially as the catalyst of the final conflict. According to IMDB, Woody Allen regarded "The Hill" as being among the best American movies, for whatever that may be worth to you. I loved it.

Hey Ron, is it Dracula's birthday? What are you going to toast him with?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I watched "The Hill", from 1965, on TCM recently. Stars Sean Connery as one of the prisoners in a WWII British military prison in North Africa. Sidney Lumet, whom I associate mostly with films set in NYC, is the director. He uses a lot of extreme close-ups of the actor's faces, which ratchets up the tension later in the story, as the prisoners suffer brutality at the hands of the sadistic guards. Connery is fantastic, but as good as he is, I enjoyed the performance of Ossie Davis even more, especially as the catalyst of the final conflict. According to IMDB, Woody Allen regarded "The Hill" as being among the best American movies, for whatever that may be worth to you. I loved it.
    Great film.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Hey Ron, is it Dracula's birthday? What are you going to toast him with?
    Vlad Tepes' birthday? Hmmm, I might have to have "stake" for dinner.

Vlad Tepes' birthday? Hmmm, I might have to have "stake" for dinner.
    Touche. Yes, something to get your "teeth" into.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Touche. Yes, something to get your "teeth" into.
    Some of the stories about him are pretty gruesome.

Some of the stories about him are pretty gruesome.
    He is an impailer after all.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    He is an impailer after all.
    Yep. He did more than impale people.

It appears the the new HBO Max streaming service will include TCM's film library. From what I have read, subscribers to HBO on a cable service, who then get HBO Now streaming, will convert over to HBO Max. We have HBO and last night I checked my laptop yesterday. Still HBO Now. I'll keep you posted as to when it changes and if so, what's on the TCM menu.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It appears the the new HBO Max streaming service will include TCM's film library. From what I have read, subscribers to HBO on a cable service, who then get HBO Now streaming, will convert over to HBO Max. We have HBO and last night I checked my laptop yesterday. Still HBO Now. I'll keep you posted as to when it changes and if so, what's on the TCM menu.
    http://www.tcm.com/schedule/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So I have HBO thru traditional cable. You're saying , I think , that HBO is streaming only and the MAX version will be provided to me at no extra charge? Permenently or trial? The commercials look pretty cool.

So I have HBO thru traditional cable. You're saying , I think , that HBO is streaming only and the MAX version will be provided to me at no extra charge? Permenently or trial? The commercials look pretty cool.
    That's what I read BUT I think it depends on your cable provider. In fact, I have to check with mine because they're small and rural.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here's a list of what cable/satellite providers will get HBO MAX. I note that my provider isn't on there but who knows what may come. It could be HBO is asking a lot of money from the small fry cable providers.

https://help.hbomax.com/Answer/Detail/2332

Looks like its a 17 per month charge no matter if you have cable hbo or not

On Edit;
    My provider Optimum / Altice gives HBO Max free since I have HBO cable from them. WHOOHOOO! Especially since Im not home but in FLA at the mercy of Comcast and watching nada.
    Last edited by nycsteve; 05-31-2020 at 03:36 PM.

I sent a message to my cable provider and got this message back. Thank you for your inquiry. We were actually just checking into this with HBO and our contract with them. We believe it is available to our TV subscribers. We will let you know as soon as we find out. Thank you! So I shall wait.

Available on Amazon Prime: The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (1965). Starring Richard Burton, Claire Bloom (The Haunting), Oskar Werner (Fahrenheit 451), Sam Wanamaker, and George Voskovec (12 Angry Men).

I had been wanting to see this for a long time - sort of. The things that made me procrastinate are that spy movies are either over the top and/or stupid (e.g. James Bond or Mission: Impossible movies) or so many are just plain boring or uninteresting (Torn Curtain, Topaz, etc). It's kind of rare, imo, to have a spy movie as good as The Day of the Jackal or Three Days of the Condor. And as much as I love 3DotC, it requires a little suspension of disbelief in places. I also have a much bigger interest in cold war spy stories, especially ones that take place in the late '50s and '60s in Europe (and especially if Berlin is involved). So I had really high hopes for Spielberg's Bridge of Spies, which left me totally underwhelmed.

Lacking anything better to do, I finally checked out The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. I wasn't thrilled with the ending but as far as the rest of the movie, this is exactly what I'd been looking for for a really long time. Man, what a great movie! Nothing left me wanting. The direction, cinematography (it's in B&W, too!), acting, sound design... everything was top notch. If you like a good spy movie and you have Prime, check it out!

I've felt for a really long time that The Day of the Jackal is probably the best spy movie made, tho Three Days is a fave. The Spy Who Came in From the Cold now ranks right up there.

Looks like its a 17 per month charge no matter if you have cable hbo or not
    From what I just saw, it's $14.99.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You tried Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? Thats my kind of spy movie, though the BBC series was much better
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.