Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

^^ Just saw one last night. The closing shot from "City Lights."

And another: The stairwell scene from A Hard Day's Night with John and the passer-by.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Chaplin's "City Lights" is on TCM tonight at 8:00.
    When I was a young boy, the Canadian Broadcasting Company ran a series of Charlie Chaplan movies. I remember really anticipating each movie and being totally engrossed. I can't find this type of programming on my current network package. I looked up City Lights on Youtube and was able to watch the final four minutes. These movies were so high profile at the time. I heard Chaplan wanted to make a silent movie at this time event though talkies were taking over.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    When I was a young boy, the Canadian Broadcasting Company ran a series of Charlie Chaplan movies. I remember really anticipating each movie and being totally engrossed. I can't find this type of programming on my current network package. I looked up City Lights on Youtube and was able to watch the final four minutes. These movies were so high profile at the time. I heard Chaplan wanted to make a silent movie at this time event though talkies were taking over.
    Yep, Apparently Chaplin didn't expect sound to be around very long. He didn't look at it an integral part of the art, it seems.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

So, just for shits and giggles, I'm watching "The Beast with Five Fingers." Boy was Robert Alda a terrible actor.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, just for shits and giggles, I'm watching "The Beast with Five Fingers." Boy was Robert Alda a terrible actor.
    I'll add that Peter Lorre, and otherwise great actor, is beyond terrible in this movie.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

There are two Bette Davis flicks on TCM tonight. "The Old Maid" (1937) and "Old Acquaintance" (1947). Both are well-rated, from what I understand. I may have seen "The Old Maid."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Watching a b&w movie called.......

Lady Vanishes (1938).

British film. I'm 5 minutes in....