Page 146 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You realize we can read it without highlighting, right?
    Oh that's right. I don't use the "classic PE style" so I forget.

How is it, now?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Oh that's right. I don't use the "classic PE style" so I forget.

How is it, now?
    That fixed it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There's a good double feature on TCM, tomorrow night:

In Cold Blood at 8:00 followed by The Boston Strangler at 10:30. Apparently, their theme for Thu night into Fri morning is murder, with four more movies after, ending with The Strangler at 6:45. It stars Victor Buono, who's probably most famous as King Tut from Batman the TV show. He also played the piano player in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

I also saw this on TCM's website (I believe the "T" is a typo, btw):

tcm psa.jpg

Anyone find this ironic?

(Robert Mitchum was a notorious pot smoker)
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

There are also five classic Frank Capra movies Wed night and Thu morning (Jan 19-20):

Mr Smith Goes to Washington - 8pm
    Mr Deeds Goes to Town - 10:30pm
    You Can't Take It With You - 12:45am
    It Happened One Night - 3am
    Lady For A Day - 5am

If you haven't seen some of them, I'd recommend recording it/them. The first four are all 3˝-4 star movies. I haven't seen the last but it was nominated for several Oscars. I'll definitely be recording it. FYI, it was remade by Capra in '61 with Bette Davis and Glenn Ford as Pocketful of Miracles.

[QUOTE=Hal...;1095143]It stars Victor Buono ... played the piano player in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

And also got a best supporting actor nomination (Oscar and Golden Globe) for that role.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ron, Hal, just a few more words about Sidney if I may. In a way I think he suffered a bit from the idea that Hollywood didn’t know how to market him. So, they did the obvious thing. This African American actor has to play in race based films. There were several and make no mistake, they were great. I suppose I regret the fact that he didn’t do more what you might call, every man films, in the beginning. It is rather interesting to take some of his efforts apart and have a look at them. For instance, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner. A nice film but I think if the characters were more common instead of a father that owned a newspaper and a world famous doctor, it may have had more impact. Certainly this is not to say there is anything wrong with those professions but a chance was missed at reaching more people on a every day level. A Patch of Blue made a good run at showing him just being human except for the fact that Shelly Winters kept bringing up that fact that he’s black. I’ve seen interviews with him from those times but I think he was just happy to be in Hollywood and didn’t really share his true feelings. Thoughts?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Watched a couple of old movies last night on TCM. Neither was B&W, tho:

Shampoo. I had never seen the whole thing. The best part was the scene at the party with a lot of great late '60s music (Beatles, Buffalo Springfield, Hendrix, et al). Overall, I'd give the movie 2 stars. Mostly it was fun from a nostalgic POV.

Being There. I have always liked this movie. Hadn't seen it in probably two decades or more. I found it even funnier than the last time I saw it. 3˝ stars.

I also just finished an "interesting" movie called Nightmare Alley from 1947. It stars Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, and Colleen Gray. It was good but I don't know that it was worth the 3˝ stars that Leonard Maltin gave it.

What is interesting is the story behind it and especially the story of the author who wrote the novel. Here's the link to Eddie Muller's intro followed by the outro. Be sure to watch both; you can spare 8˝ minutes, can't you?

Incidentally, I saw Shadowlands with the ex back in '93 when it was released. I recall it was an excellent movie.

Caught the 1951 The Mob on TCM the other day. It's a tight , violent Brodrick Crawford vehicle with a great supporting cast including perenial heavies Neville Brand and Ernest Borgnine . And an uncredited quickie from a very young Charles Bronson. Definitly violent for its time , all roles played well , intellegent script. Definitly a winner.

"Double Indemnity" is on TCM Thursday night.

I was literally just thinking of this movie and about trying to get my daughter to watch it. And then noticed it's on tomorrow.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

TCM is showing some great stuff this month. All Oscar winners.

Yes, Jekyl & Hyde is on late tonight.

I'm determined to keep this thread alive

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

And your favorite movie is on tonight!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Even if I don't post much I read everything posted here.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Alot of posts that could be posted on this thread end up on the regular movie thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And your favorite movie is on tonight!
    And I watched it! A nice break from the real world.

We started a Saturday movie night at home with me, the wife and daughter. (The 19-year-old remains secluded in her cave.)

My 25-year-old daughter chose "Young Frankenstein," a long-time family favorite. She remarked how the last time she saw it, some of the jokes went over her head. That comment came after Teri Garr exclaimed, "He must have an enormous schwanztucker!"

We started a Saturday movie night at home with me, the wife and daughter. (The 19-year-old remains secluded in her cave.)

My 25-year-old daughter chose "Young Frankenstein," a long-time family favorite. She remarked how the last time she saw it, some of the jokes went over her head. That comment came after Teri Garr exclaimed, "He must have an enormous schwanztucker!"
    Who explained it to her, you or your wife? Or did neither of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Who explained it to her, you or your wife? Or did neither of you?
    She didn't need an explanation this time. She's 25, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Ron, Hal, just a few more words about Sidney if I may. In a way I think he suffered a bit from the idea that Hollywood didn’t know how to market him. So, they did the obvious thing. This African American actor has to play in race based films. There were several and make no mistake, they were great. I suppose I regret the fact that he didn’t do more what you might call, every man films, in the beginning. It is rather interesting to take some of his efforts apart and have a look at them. For instance, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner. A nice film but I think if the characters were more common instead of a father that owned a newspaper and a world famous doctor, it may have had more impact. Certainly this is not to say there is anything wrong with those professions but a chance was missed at reaching more people on a every day level. A Patch of Blue made a good run at showing him just being human except for the fact that Shelly Winters kept bringing up that fact that he’s black. I’ve seen interviews with him from those times but I think he was just happy to be in Hollywood and didn’t really share his true feelings. Thoughts?
    I know I'm not Ron or Hal but -- I just finished reading the book Pictures at a Revolution by Mark Harris, which is partly about the making of Guess Who's... and In the Heat of the Night. That book talks a bit about Poitier's frustration with the parts he was given and the way he was required to always play a completely unimpeachable role model. Much of the reason he was excited by In the Heat of the Night was the opportunity to play a character who gives vent to irritation and outrage rather than always keeping a level head and being understanding. In Guess Who's... there was originally a scene where the daughter character actually talked about her insecurities around being engaged to someone so impressive, and not being sure she was good enough, which Katharine Houghton appreciated because she was aware of how bizarrely overqualified his character was as a husband, but it ended up being cut.

Ron, I think METV is running a Stooges special early Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Ron, I think METV is running a Stooges special early Sunday afternoon.
    Looks like they run two hours of Stooges every Saturday at 6:00. Is there something else on Sunday? Stooges Church!? They are my Gods, after all...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Looks like they run two hours of Stooges every Saturday at 6:00. Is there something else on Sunday? Stooges Church!? They are my Gods, after all...
    I’m sorry Dr., should have aimed this at you as well. I just thought, maybe METV isn’t the same everywhere. They are running the ad here for Sunday but I see Full House is still listed. What the hey?

Yeah, Me-TV has one schedule. Stooges are on Saturdays, as noted. I catch them sometimes, if they're showing a classic. But, a lot of what they show are lame ones from the late 40s and 50s. Hell, last week, they showed one that was so late (59?) that Moe's hair was slicked back.

So , actor Nehemiah Persoff passed at 102 years old. Persoff appeared in films , Some Like It Hot , Yentl etc but was most known for TV work , from the beginning of TV on. FRequently in THe Untouchables. I always confused Persoff with Akim Tamiroff , who was mostly movies , some of the classics. In my defense they were similar in appearance. Persoff was married to the same lady over 70 years and she lasted almost as long as he. Good actor. Tamiroff was no slouch either.

^ I had to look it up, but Persoff played Little Bonaparte in Some Like it Hot!

RIP!