Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The King And I and My Fair Lady both hold together as far as plot and story. And both have excellent music. Etcetera , etcetera.
    If you didnt like Top Hat you wont like 42Street.
    I didn't say I didn't like Top Hat. I just don't think it deserves to be ranked as high as it is. The truth is, while I dislike musicals in general, I will admit to having enjoyed those that starred Ginger Rogers. Maybe it's because I really like GR. She was my kind of gal. Then again, musicals back then were different, somehow. I remember that one of the movies we saw in that HS film studies class was a Busby Berkeley movie and I didn't react negatively to it. But see, there again it was one of those old musicals. I don't know why but I'm almost willing to give them a pass. And I'll also admit to liking Fred Astaire and even one or two of those old Shirley Temple movies. I also liked some of those ones from the '30s and '40s that had a real jazz band in it.

My mom loved musicals. My sister does, too. And for days after one was on, they'd be singing songs around the house for a few days. It was infectious. That's actually how I know a lot of songs from musicals I've never seen. lol

I'm sure I saw The King and I and My Fair Lady but I was a kid and the stories just didn't appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nice rant, Barry. I agree with most of it.
    Most? Am curious what you disagree with.

Every time I hear "Singin' in the Rain," I think of "A Clockwork Orange."
    After many, many years, I'm able to separate the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My wife and I watch White Christmas every year so we have this nostalgia thing going for that.
    I forgot about that one. But that always felt like a drama with songs, to me, so it was somewhat enjoyable. And that reminds me of Albert Finney's version of A Christmas Carol, my ex's fave musical. It wasn't bad - "Thank You Very Much" was a high point - but I'd be fine never seeing it again. Plus, Finney wasn't very good as Scrooge, imo.

Other than that, the only musicals I like are: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Fiddler on the Roof, Paint Your Wagon (the corruption of young Horton Fenty was hilarious), Cabaret ("The Future Belongs to Me" was one of Fosse's best scenes), All That Jazz (Fosse's magnificent ode to Death!), The Commitments (Fook me - it's Imelda Quirke's ass coming over the fence!), and the Beatles movies.
    I didn't even know A Funny Thing Happened... was a musical. I forgot about Fiddler on the Roof. I seem to recall I enjoyed it, somewhat, even tho I found it long. The music was good, too, with catchy songs. Maybe I should see it again to see if I like it better, now that I've since learned about the pogroms and have also discovered my love of the Jewish sense of humor.

The Commitments. I thought the funniest two lines were both from Colm Meany as the father. I should really see that movie again. I've only seen it once and that was the year it was released on VHS.

No one thought to mention the recent Yesterday?
    I had high hopes for it and really wanted to like it but I thought it was only okay. Actually, kinda disappointed with it.
    If God wanted us to listen to audio books, She wouldn't have given us eyes to watch TV. - Gene Belcher

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Most? Am curious what you disagree with.
    After posting that, I new you'd catch it. Actually, I agree with all of it. I was a bit surprised to see "Help!" in your list.

I'm thinking "Jesus Christ Superstar" would be one to add to the list, IMHO.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

After posting that, I new you'd catch it. Actually, I agree with all of it.
    Just startin' trouble, huh?

I was a bit surprised to see "Help!" in your list.
    It's kind of fun, I guess.

I'm thinking "Jesus Christ Superstar" would be one to add to the list, IMHO.
    Never saw it. Never wanted to. Never saw Godspell or Hair, either. Never wanted to.
    If God wanted us to listen to audio books, She wouldn't have given us eyes to watch TV. - Gene Belcher

Just startin' trouble, huh?

It's kind of fun, I guess.

Never saw it. Never wanted to. Never saw Godspell or Hair, either. Never wanted to.
    And you let this '70's culture pass you by?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Brides of Dracula, on MTV Saturday night? Hal, Ron, stop this abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Brides of Dracula, on MTV Saturday night? Hal, Ron, stop this abomination.
    Yeah, I saw that listed, too. Despite the commercial breaks, it's a lot of fun in glorious Hammer color. And that old hag is pretty creepy with her fangs.

BTW, "House on Haunted Hill" was on earlier this week.

"Dr. Strangelove..." is on TCM tonight.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Yeah, I saw that listed, too. Despite the commercial breaks, it's a lot of fun in glorious Hammer color. And that old hag is pretty creepy with her fangs.

BTW, "House on Haunted Hill" was on earlier this week.

Do you remember any of your local pop up independent commercial stations trying to show movies uncut and without breaks? Where I lived we had one and I loved the channel but commercial free was short lived. Have yet to see a bad print of BoD. May take a peak but Strangelove will do nicely.

I've never understood the love for this movie.

Do you remember any of your local pop up independent commercial stations trying to show movies uncut and without breaks?
    After cable became a thing, there was a station out of Cleveland (WUAB) that had limited commercial breaks during movies; three, I think, or maybe four. The first one would be 30-40 minutes after the movie started but was at least 10 minutes long! The others came sooner and were 5-6 minutes long. The later ones, tho, interrupted the flow of the story so, all in all, it was a wash.

I've never understood the love for this movie.
    It's quite strange, isn't it?

I don't recall any local channels running movies without commercials.

However, we were some of the first ones to get HBO, back when it was called Channel 100 (and part of Home Box Office). It was out of the Scranton, PA area about 100 miles or so from where I grew up. If you recall the old tuning dials on TVs back then, you could turn them until you hit the next channel. Well, in the mid-70s, when HBO was just beginning, there were certain TVs where, when you turned the tuning dial from channel 7 so far until you hit a second channel, that was Channel 100. (Well, it was something like that.) But there were only certain TVs you could do it with. We watched movies like "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," "Oh, Lucky Man," "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot," and others.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

So, I'm bouncing back and forth between "Dr. Strangelove..." and "Brides of Dracula," and I'm leaning towards the Brides.

I mean, Dr. Strangelove is so far-fetched.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Tuned in just in time to see Slim Pickens fix the bomb bay door. Watching him ride the bomb down like he was on a bull at a rodeo is still funny after countless times seeing it.

And then, of course, come a couple of my favorite lines.

Gen Turgidson: "Mr President, we cannot allow a mine shaft gap!"

Dr Strangelove: "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

A couple of other funny things no one ever seems to mention are that if you watch Peter Bull, the actor who played the Soviet ambassador, during Sellers' monologue, you see Bull break with a smile but quickly gets it under control. It's so obvious, too. The other is when Strangelove is talking about the necessity of getting all the young women for the purposes of procreation and his right hand, the gloved one with a mind of its own, begins what can only be assumed as fondling himself.

But my favorite line will always be one of Gen Turgidson's. I'll start with the last sentence in the letter from Gen Ripper.

Ripper (as read by Turgidson): God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids.
    Turgidson: We're still trying to figure out the meaning of that last phrase, sir.
    Pres Muffley: There's nothing to figure out, General Turgidson. This man is obviously a psychotic.
    Turgidson: Well, I'd hold off judgement on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in.

Seriously, that's got to be the funniest line in the history of cinema.

I wish now I had watched it. It never fails to make me laugh. I've always said that I think the movie that comes closest to perfection is 2001: A Space Odyssey but Dr Strangelove is easily my favorite movie. Had Kubrick made one or two mild and subtle changes, I think it would have been perfect.

Another one of my favorite bits is Slim Pickens reading off the list of items in the survival kit. His last line is so great: "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all this stuff."

But the inclusion in the kit of the "miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible" is so subtly brilliant.

The movie is chock full of great lines and humorous, odd visuals. One of my favorites is in the beginning when Turgidson is talking on the phone and slaps himself on the belly. The sign outside SAC HQ that reads, "peace is our profession." Talk about irony.

One I never picked up on for a long time is when Strangelove is looking for his round slide rule and his gloved hand comes into the frame already holding it. What suddenly dawned on me is that it's like his hand is saying, "looking for this?" And, of course, when it tries to strangle him.

What a brilliantly funny movie about the worst possible thing that could happen to humanity.

^^ Makes me wanna watch "Fail Safe."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Oh. My. God.

I've found almost every Ingmar Bergman film I've seen quite boring. Earlier this year, I read about one of his that I hadn't seen but which piqued my interest. It's called Hour of the Wolf and is considered Bergman's darkest film. I looked for it everywhere but couldn't find it at the libraries I'm a member of nor through the state library borrowing system we have.

Was looking over the streamable movies on TCM's website, just now, and there it is!

Stars Max Von Sydow and Liv Ullmann. From what I've read elsewhere, this is one of both Sydow's and Ullmann's highpoints in their long and highly esteemed acting careers. I know what I'll be watching tomorrow.

Even if you don't feel like watching it, I recommend tuning in for a least a few minutes. The cinematographer is Sven Nykvist and he has filmed some of the most gorgeous black and white movies ever made. He shot 18 films for Bergman, winning an Oscar for two of those, albeit in color.

You're such a rebel, Ron.

RIP Olivia de_Havilland/

104 is quite a ride.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Barbara Stanwyck will be featured on TCM tomorrow night.

Ball of Fire (1941) 3-1/2-star comedy. I don't think I've ever seen this one.
    Double Indemnity (1944) 4 stars, of course. One of the truly great Film Noirs
    Meet John Doe (1941) 3 stars

Ball of Fire and Meet John Doe co-star the incredibly bland (to me, anyway) Gary Cooper.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Barbara Stanwyck will be featured on TCM tomorrow night.

Ball of Fire (1941) 3-1/2-star comedy. I don't think I've ever seen this one.
    Double Indemnity (1944) 4 stars, of course. One of the truly great Film Noirs7
    Meet John Doe (1941) 3 stars

Ball of Fire and Meet John Doe co-star the incredibly bland (to me, anyway) Gary Cooper.
    Betty would have been great in Double Indemnity. Coop was kind of stiff.

Betty would have been great in Double Indemnity.
    I agree.

But what about Steve Martin?

I agree, but wasn't sure who you were referring to. It's Bette, which threw me off. I knew it wasn't Betty White you were referring to.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I agree.

He does look better in the wig than Stanwyck did.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Davis ? God noooo!

I agree.

How could I forget? Ugh!

I agree, but wasn't sure who you were referring to. It's Bette, which threw me off. I knew it wasn't Betty White you were referring to.
    I've done this before, my fault.

He does look better in the wig than Stanwyck did.
    I love the end of film bits and pieces. I never thought about a wig but now, in some scenes it was pretty telling, and bad.

Davis ? God noooo!
    Nycsteve, are you kidding? Bette would have eaten that role alive.