Page 123 of 160 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

^^ I never noticed that. You can do a search in the schedule, but this seems better.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Lady From Shanghai (1948)

Tonight on TCM moments from now.

Any fans?

I don't know if I've ever seen the entire movie. The climax scene is iconic. I think I'll watch the whole thing tonight.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Tonight on TCM moments from now.

Any fans?

I don't know if I've ever seen the entire movie. The climax scene is iconic. I think I'll watch the whole thing tonight.
    Definite fan. I didn't see this until at least 20 years ago. It just wasn't easly available. I think it has a feel reminiscent of Touch Of Evil. Like an off center feeling of dread. Not as tight a storyline as its noir contemporaries , which is exactly the source of its appeal.

I never saw the movie, but I did read a book in which the author (a childhood friend of Elizabeth Short, the Black Dahlia) deduces from scenes in the movie that Orson Welles was the Black Dahlia killer. Oh, brother.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^^ I did finally watch the whole thing all the way through. Very good movie. I saw it rated at three and four stars. I'm torn. Maybe 3-1/2 to me. Camera work was beautiful. Lots of wonderful city shots.

My wife turned on TCM yesterday and caught Wizard of Oz. I may have lost my sense of childhood wonder. Man, so much of that movie seems like bad community theater. The over-acting, the sets, the segues into musical numbers (the whole Munchkin village gets really old really fast), Glinda... Then again, musicals have never been my thing and even as a kid, none of the supposedly spooky stuff never really bothered me. Flying monkeys, meh.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    gets really old really fast
    But, it is old.

I also watched The Wizard Of Oz on TCM. I hadn't seen it it quite a while. Sure , parts are dated , but its a fine example of movie magic. I gaurentee that 50 years from now the flying monkeys will still be part of a revered movie , while most if not all flying superheroes will be long forgotten.

Anyone know this one that's on tonight on TCM?

His Kind of Woman (1951)
    Synopsis: A deported gangster causes problems for guests at a Mexican resort.
    Dir: John Farrow Cast: Robert Mitchum , Jane Russell , Vincent Price .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW: 3 Stars
    D: John Farrow. Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Vincent Price, Tim Holt, Raymond Burr, Charles McGraw, Marjorie Reynolds, Jim Backus. Mitchum blindly goes to Mexico for a payoff of 50 grand, discovers he's the soon-to-be-dead chump whose identity will help deported gangster Burr re-enter the country. Cult film is overlong, but its spoofing of he-man heroics predates the more celebrated BEAT THE DEVIL by three years; Price is hilarious as a ham actor.

Anyone know this one that's on tonight on TCM?

His Kind of Woman (1951)
    Synopsis: A deported gangster causes problems for guests at a Mexican resort.
    Dir: John Farrow Cast: Robert Mitchum , Jane Russell , Vincent Price .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW: 3 Stars
    D: John Farrow. Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Vincent Price, Tim Holt, Raymond Burr, Charles McGraw, Marjorie Reynolds, Jim Backus. Mitchum blindly goes to Mexico for a payoff of 50 grand, discovers he's the soon-to-be-dead chump whose identity will help deported gangster Burr re-enter the country. Cult film is overlong, but its spoofing of he-man heroics predates the more celebrated BEAT THE DEVIL by three years; Price is hilarious as a ham actor.
    I would say if you haven't seen it , watch it. Howard Hughs controlled RKO and was in full OCD mode during the filming of this. The end result is a good movie , worth the view. It varies from comedy to outright noir . Hugh's meddling and OCD regarding this film in particular is legendary. If interested look it up. Maltin's classification of cult status alone indicates reason for interest. Uninteresting is never cult.

^^ Thanks!

^^ It was not bad. Three stars. A bit long. Some of the dialog was pretty cliche, but that's what you get with the genre.

Bette Davis on tomorrow night on TCM

Tonight, "Laura" is on at 11:45. Great noir mystery. One of the best.

Thursday has some good ones starting in the afternoon with "Isle of the Dead" and "The Devil Doll" with "Metropolis" (!!) at 11:00 pm.

And, if you have nothing to do Saturday afternoon, the wonderful Harold Lloyd in his classic "Safety Last" (1923) is on at 1:30.

I watched "Dark Victory" last night. Pretty sad movie. Not a sad as the reality we're all living with, but sad nonetheless.

This was Davis' fourth Best Actress nomination. She would have a whopping TEN throughout her career.

"Double indemnity" is on TCM Friday night at 8:00 EST. I've seen it a number of times, but it's such a great flick. That look on Stanwyck's face when Fred MacMurray strangles her husband in the car...

Just got done watching a little more than the second half of "Seven Days in May." I've never seen it before, but anything written by Rod Serling is alright in my book.

Very good. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

Banned
    "Double indemnity" is on TCM Friday night at 8:00 EST. I've seen it a number of times, but it's such a great flick. That look on Stanwyck's face when Fred MacMurray strangles her husband in the car...
    All time classic iMO, great dialogue.

“You can wait in there but they keep the liquor locked up.”

“That’s alright, I always carry my own keys.”

I watching a black and white movie titled Cyrano De Bergerac (1950).

It's not B&W, but I'm watching "Network" right now. What a great movie. "Dog Day Afternoon" is on next.

TCM, of course.

On the Waterfront, this afternoon.
    The older I get, the better I was.

^^ And a few other classics.

Oh, baby, TCM's Star of the Month is Edward G. Robinson. Every Thursday.

this week:

8:00 Little Caesar (1930)
    9:30 PM Tiger Shark (1932)
    11:00 PM Sea Wolf, The (1941)
    12:30 AM Key Largo (1948)

and more

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I need to watch King Kong again soon. And it hasn't even been that long!

Oh, baby, TCM's Star of the Month is Edward G. Robinson. Every Thursday.

this week:

8:00 Little Caesar (1930)
    9:30 PM Tiger Shark (1932)
    11:00 PM Sea Wolf, The (1941)
    12:30 AM Key Largo (1948)

and more
    Reminder, TONIGHT!

Im DVRing the last EGR film in tonights line up. Never saw or heard of it before. Early thirties , EGR as a Chinese assasin. The rest of the cast is caucasion playing Chinese. Its to late for me to watch , so I am dvr. Sorry , forgot the name , I think its on a 2am. Gotta love TCM.

On edit. The Hatchet Man , 1932 . EGR and Loretta Young amongst others. 645 tomorrow morning
    Last edited by nycsteve; 05-07-2020 at 01:56 PM.