Page 114 of 160 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Pre code doesn't count.

My favorite pre-code cutie is Toby Wing.

Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Those scenes with Patricia Neal were hilarious. I guess she wished she could be "jack hammered".

You know, there's been a lot of discussion over the years about the casting couch. I'd always assumed that was a thing of the past until the Me Too movement. Altho, that was more about sexual assault, I guess.

Anyway, the thing I noticed that started occurring years ago was having women wear very revealing clothes. This was during the time when "serious" actresses never did any kind of nudity. The first movie I noticed this happening was the King Kong remake. There's a scene where Jessica Lange is wearing a thin blouse and when she gets wet, you can see right through it. She might as well have been topless.

Another was in Raiders of the Lost Ark. In the scene on the ship, Karen Allen is wearing a satin night gown... with nothing underneath. The wind is blowing her night gown tight against her body and you can clearly see the volume and shape of her bush (forgive my lack of decorum). I will never forget the first time I saw that.

And for many actresses who hadn't yet made a name for themselves, going topless or nude was almost a prerequisite: Phoebe Cates went topless, Jennifer Jason Leigh did full nudity (altho you only saw her breasts), PJ soles went topless, Amy Irving and Nancy Allen went at least topless - possibly even full nudity - in the shower scene in Carrie.

Actresses don't seem to be nearly as modest as they once were. Some big names have gone at least topless. Charlize Theron and Halle Berry have both gone topless. Zoe Lister-Jones went topless in a movie she co-wrote and directed. Scarlett Johansson went full nude, as has Kristen Wiig, Sarah Silverman, and Michelle Williams. The bravest one I've seen, so far, is Rosario Dawson, who did full frontal nudity after a Brazilian wax job.

And those are just the ones off the top of my head.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    And those are just the ones off the top of my head.
    Which head? That's quite a list.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Which head?
    I'll pretend you didn't say that. lol

That's quite a list.
    Well, nearly all of those women I find or have found very attractive at some point so their scenes are memorable.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I think a turning point was Julianne Moore's famous monologue in Short Cuts (90s). There was a legitimate serious actress delivering a terrific performance while bottomless. After that, it became more common for serious actors to go bare. And now, there's a lot of men baring their schlongs (though Mark Wahlberg's in Boogie Nights was a prosthetic).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yikes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I think a turning point was Julianne Moore's famous monologue in Short Cuts (90s). There was a legitimate serious actress delivering a terrific performance while bottomless.
    Yeah, that was '93. Never saw it. In general, I think Altman is overrated. But I would love to see Julianne Moore naked.

But you reminded me of some others: Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct ('92), Heather Graham in Boogie Nights ('97), and Angelina Jolie in Gia ('98 or '99). And something I remembered later was that Halle Berry was all nude in Monster's Ball. I've never seen it but I don't think she showed everything.

Totally off topic, but I was watching Finding Your Roots, once, and it turns out Julianne is distant cousins with Marisa Tomei. Also related: Bernie Sanders and Larry David. But what's really funny is that Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick are distant cousins. For anyone who's not familiar, they're also husband and wife.

Was looking for some info from a really old post in another thread and discovered that I posted about Bugsy Siegel and his time in Hollywood. I also posted this:

Which reminds me... according to a book I read, even Lucky Luciano had his toe in Hollywood.
    He also had an affair with the actress Thelma Todd and probably had her killed. Too bad. She was a real cutie:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Chloe Sevigny went hardcore for the end of the film “The Brown Bunny.” I’ve only seen the end.

Yeah, I heard about that. I've also heard The Brown Bunny is an atrocious movie. Surprising, given how good Vincent Gallo's Buffalo '66 was. Roger Ebert said The Brown Bunny was the worst movie in the history of the Cannes Film Festival and he and Gallo got into a feud about it.

The Brown Bunny is a terrible film IMO. Yes, if you find Chloe Sevigny attractive, you might enjoy seeing her actually give a blowjob, but that's about the only redeeming quality, which says a lot. (I think she's an excellent actress, BTW.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have this on my desktop and all I look at are the legs.

phantom-opera-masquerade.jpg

Because it's the season. Watched Holiday Affair the other night. One of my favorite all time XMAS movies. Great cast, good story, just cheesy enough for the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Because it's the season. Watched Holiday Affair the other night. One of my favorite all time XMAS movies. Great cast, good story, just cheesy enough for the holidays.
    Remember the Night was on on Sunday (I think). I almost watched it, but saw it not long ago. That's a really good one.

I may actually watch It's a Wonderful Life this year. I haven't been in the mood for it since my divorce (it was our favorite Xmas movie).

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think it's about time I watch "Christmas in Connecticut"

Watching "Arsenic and Old Lace" right now with the family.

Watching "Arsenic and Old Lace" right now with the family.
    Classic holiday fare!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Anyway, the thing I noticed that started occurring years ago was having women wear very revealing clothes. This was during the time when "serious" actresses never did any kind of nudity. The first movie I noticed this happening was the King Kong remake. There's a scene where Jessica Lange is wearing a thin blouse and when she gets wet, you can see right through it. She might as well have been topless.

Another was in Raiders of the Lost Ark. In the scene on the ship, Karen Allen is wearing a satin night gown... with nothing underneath. The wind is blowing her night gown tight against her body and you can clearly see the volume and shape of her bush (forgive my lack of decorum). I will never forget the first time I saw that.
    Then there's Jacqueline Bissett in The Deep. Again, during that opening diving scene and teh subsequent bit on the boat, she might as well be topless. It's been said that bit touched off the wet t-shirt craze (though Wikipedia says the "wet t-shirt contest" phenomenon actually predates The Deep by at least a couple years). Apparently, she was real upset about that scene. I read an interview from a few years ago where it sounded like she was uptight about it, because it was gratuitous and had no purpose beyond titillation.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watching the 1940 British version of Gaslight.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watching the 1940 British version of Gaslight.
    I've only seen the 1944 version.

I've only seen the 1944 version.
    I borrowed from the library recently a CD with both the 1940 British version and the 1944 remake of Gaslight. Both excellent.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Not sure how I missed this, but "The Thin Man" is on TCM tonight at 8:00 EST.