Page 112 of 160 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Watched The Letter last night. Maltin gives it 3˝ stars and I would have agreed until I saw the third act. It's only an hour and 35 minutes long but I kept thinking, "when is this movie going to end?" Maybe that's because I had a really good idea how it would end and got impatient. I don't know. The story just seemed to drift.

William Wyler almost got the perfect, final shot, too, but got cutesy and blew it.

I shouldn't have liked Bette Davis in this, given the role, but once again I found her sex appeal compelling.

Overall, I'd give it 3 stars. (sorry Staun)

Not sure what to watch tonight. TCM has a few good ones available to stream:

Mr Skeffington with Bette and Claude Rains
    Waterloo Bridge, the director impressed the Universal studio boss so much, he gave him first choice for his next project. He chose Frankenstein.1 Yes, that would be James Whale.
    Smart Money. A movie that stars Edward G Robinson with James Cagney in a supporting role.
    Jimmy the Gent. A comedy with Cagney and Bette.
    Klute, which I haven't seen in ages.

Hmmmm.

One of the great things about those old movies is they're not too long, so you can watch two in the same time it takes to watch a longer, modern one.
    So, you didn't like, The Letter. I have the last laugh sir because I've removed your picture from atop my movie shelf. Only Ron's will now remain. The nerve of some people. Not liking a film I'm crazy about. Outrageous.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: Susan Lucci, she eventually did when her Emmy. She was nominated in 1977, and then every year from 1981 to 1998. She finally won in 1999. I remember seeing the clip on the news shows the next day, whoever the presenter was, opened the envelope and said "The curse has been lifted!" and then read Lucci's name. She was nominated again, but didn't win, in 2001 and 2002.
    GG, for a person to be nominated that many times for something and not win, I'm forced to believe that something more was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    So, you didn't like, The Letter. I have the last laugh sir because I've removed your picture from atop my movie shelf. Only Ron's will now remain. The nerve of some people. Not liking a film I'm crazy about. Outrageous.

In my defense, I didn't say I didn't like it. I said Maltin gave it 3˝ stars; I'd give it 3. That means I think it's a good movie. Just not a great one. But that probably doesn't help my cause, does it? Oh well. After Bucky gets pummeled by Brutus for the second time this season, you'll probably stop talking to me for a while anyway.

C'est la vie.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

In my defense, I didn't say I didn't like it. I said Maltin gave it 3˝ stars; I'd give it 3. That means I think it's a good movie. Just not a great one. But that probably doesn't help my cause, does it? Oh well. After Bucky gets pummeled by Brutus for the second time this season, you'll probably stop talking to me for a while anyway.

C'est la vie.
    Since I've determined that your movie insight is now in question, I shall now turn to others for counseling in this area. As for Saturday night, David and his sling will give a wonderful account of himself. WTF, I just want to stay competitive and give you guys a good scare.

The Jean-Pierre Melville directed film of Jean Cocteau's Les Enfants Terribles (1950). Besides being a truly unique story with plenty of great acting and noir filming, this one might be worth a watch for all you Bill Nelson fans out there...

WHOA! Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925) is on TCM tonight. It holds up very well against the color talkie. Some scenes were filmed in two-strip color. The chariot scene is effing epic.

I might just have to watch it, even if it cuts into my night-time politics shows.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The TCM star of the month for December is Joan Blondell. Hubba, hubba! Every Thursday will be a selection of her movies; her first from 1930 this week through her last (1981, I think) at the end of the month.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^ This week it's all Pre-Code, too. Va-Va-Va-Voom!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Pre-Code Joan Blondell??? I'm in!

I remember when I was a kid seeing some contemporary movie or show and my mom commenting that the actress was Joan Blondell. I wish I could remember what it was. I've looked through her filmography and have no idea what.

But to think when I was a kid I thought she was old and ugly and here I am, 40some years later watching her in movies from the '30s thinking she's hot.

Strange.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    WHOA! Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925) is on TCM tonight. It holds up very well against the color talkie. Some scenes were filmed in two-strip color. The chariot scene is effing epic.

I might just have to watch it, even if it cuts into my night-time politics shows.
    Well, that was pretty incredible. I watched the entire movie for the first time. What an epic production.

Was that directed by DeMille?

Well, that was pretty incredible. I watched the entire movie for the first time. What an epic production.
    I've seen just bits and pieces of it but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Nope, it was directed by Fred Niblo, with whom I am not familiar. It didn't begin that way and took like three years to complete. After about a year, it was put on hold and them MGM formed and Irving Thalberg took over and hired a new director and lead actor and turned it into a success that put MGM on the map.

Mr. Buckeye, I've requested all your posts be rejected in the future. Well, at least until I ask you about this. I remember talking about the code a few hundred miles back. Did we list any of the do's and don'ts? Things had to be better without that streak of morality.

Nope, it was directed by Fred Niblo, with whom I am not familiar.
    I vaguely recognize the name and I'm not sure why but I'm betting it's because Greta Garbo starred in a couple of his movies.

BTW, did you see on Wikipedia the list of extras used during the chariot race?

John Barrymore
    Lionel Barrymore
    Joan Crawford
    Marion Davies
    Douglas Fairbanks
    John Gilbert
    Dorothy Gish
    Lillian Gish
    Samuel Goldwyn
    Sid Grauman (of Grauman's Chinese Theater)
    Harold Lloyd
    Carole Lombard
    Myrna Loy
    Mary Pickford

Mr. Buckeye, I've requested all your posts be rejected in the future.
    Bah.

I remember talking about the code a few hundred miles back. Did we list any of the do's and don'ts?
    Not that I recall. Here's the list, first proposed in 1927 (and which everyone pretty much ignored):

These are the "Don'ts":

Pointed profanity – by either title or lip – this includes the words "God", "Lord", "Jesus", "Christ" (unless they be used reverently in connection with proper religious ceremonies), "hell", "damn", "Gawd", and every other profane and vulgar expression however it may be spelled;
    Any licentious or suggestive nudity – in fact or in silhouette; and any lecherous or licentious notice thereof by other characters in the picture;
    The illegal traffic in drugs;
    Any inference of sex perversion; [this included homosexuality]
    White slavery;
    Miscegenation;
    Sex hygiene and venereal diseases;
    Scenes of actual childbirth – in fact or in silhouette;
    Children's sex organs;
    Ridicule of the clergy;
    Willful offense to any nation, race or creed;

And these are the "Be Carefuls":

The use of the flag;
    International relations (avoiding picturizing [sic] in an unfavorable light another country's religion, history, institutions, prominent people, and citizenry);
    Arson;
    The use of firearms;
    Theft, robbery, safe-cracking, and dynamiting of trains, mines, buildings, etc. (having in mind the effect which a too-detailed description of these may have upon the moron);
    Brutality and possible gruesomeness;
    Technique of committing murder by whatever method;
    Methods of smuggling;
    Third-degree methods; [I guess depictions of police brutality were a no-no]
    Actual hangings or electrocutions as legal punishment for crime;
    Sympathy for criminals;
    Attitude toward public characters and institutions;
    Sedition;
    Apparent cruelty to children and animals;
    Branding of people or animals;
    The sale of women, or of a woman selling her virtue;
    Rape or attempted rape;
    First-night scenes;
    Man and woman in bed together;
    Deliberate seduction of girls;
    The institution of marriage;
    Surgical operations;
    The use of drugs;
    Titles or scenes having to do with law enforcement or law-enforcing officers;
    Excessive or lustful kissing, particularly when one character or the other is a "heavy".

Much of this list came from the Catholic Church.

Another thing they frowned upon was having criminals not ultimately pay for their crimes.

Hal, Ron, I've heard some of those but how did the Catholic Church get involved? Did the industry ask for their opinions on this?

The Catholic Church has been involved in all sorts of stuff like this for probably centuries. They've been condemning and banning books since at least the 19th century, maybe even longer. Probably as long as the printing press was invented. And they had guidelines for what kind of modes could be played/composed going back to at least the Baroque period of music. But it was with the advent of movies and the inclusion of "questionable" material in them that precipitated the formation of the Legion of Decency in 1933. I seem to recall they had some sort of input into the Hays Code list but whether that was them sticking their nose into things or they were invited to participate, I don't know and I don't have the time to research it at the moment.

But mostly the Hays Code was Hollywood censoring themselves to avoid possible regulation by the government.

Streamed Front Page Woman, another Bette Davis movie, last night on TCM. It's one of those movies that isn't anything special, really, but is fun nonetheless. It's considered a 2˝ star movie. I definitely wouldn't give it 3 stars, but it's the most enjoyable 2˝ star movie I've ever seen. And because of the light-hearted tone to it, a young Bette comes off quite endearing.

Hal, Ron, I've heard some of those but how did the Catholic Church get involved? Did the industry ask for their opinions on this?
    That wasn't my statement. I'd have to look into the specifics of that, if any, in my "Forbidden Hollywood" book.

That wasn't my statement. I'd have to look into the specifics of that, if any, in my "Forbidden Hollywood" book.
    Correction noted, sir. Maybe I should just get out my 8 track of TFTO and be happy with that

Correction noted, sir. Maybe I should just get out my 8 track of TFTO and be happy with that

Re-watched The Letter and I've changed my mind. It's not a 3 star movie. Don't know what I could have been thinking. It's a 2˝ star movie at best.

Re-watched The Letter and I've changed my mind. It's not a 3 star movie. Don't know what I could have been thinking. It's a 2˝ star movie at best.
    Agreed. The blackmailer was the best part of the film.

"That's alls I can stands, I can't stands no more"