Page 96 of 159 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 3968

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

re: Joe Besser,

I always feel like everyone misses my favorite joke in This Is Spinal Tap, when Mick Shrimpton is replaced for the Japanese tour at the end of the film by Joe "Mama" Besser. Most people either don't know who Joe Besser was, or the parallel doesn't register with him, i.e. he's the replacement for the replacement for..., etc.

I kinda get off the Three Stooges bus with Shemp's death. I know I've seen one or two of those movies they made during Curly Joe era, but I don't think they're as good as the stuff they did with Curly and Shemp. My all time favorite is Malice In The Palace. The restaurant scene, with the two customers thinking Larry's slaughtering a dog and a cat and putting in the food, is hilarious.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Too bad that, once his voice started to change, we learned he really couldn't act. I do love that show, especially the jargon, like having a "hunk of cake." Eddie Haskell, was a hoot.
    I noticed that once Jerry got a little older, the humor subtly changed. The boys and their friends weren't quite as funny, except for Gilbert, but the show didn't lose a lot of its luster, either, imo. I think because maybe they also made Ward & June funnier.

The other thing I love about that show, especially when they're older, is that their bedroom looks a lot like me & my brothers'. That show dredges up a lot of nostalgia for me, like when Beaver and a couple of his friends bought some sweatshirts that had monsters on them. My oldest brother was around the same age as Jerry Mathers and he had a lot of the same toys and stuff Beaver did; the stuff that was popular in the late '50s and into the '60s, like the Universal monster models we discussed once. A lot of people criticize that era but I find it pretty idyllic... for a kid, anyway. After '66, kids increasingly started losing their innocence too quickly it seems to me.

BTW, I was at a mall in New Jersey in the late '80s and saw some promotional thing for Nick at Night (or some other show) and there on stage was Ken Osmond. I watched for about 20 seconds and left, feeling kind of sorry for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Have you ever tried to explain why the scene in Airplane where Barbara Billingsley talks jive is funny to someone too young to even remember when Leave It To Beaver was in reruns?! Yeah, ok, I suppose it is funny just because she's an elderly white lady using urban vernacular. But I think it goes to another level when you realize this is the classic, quintessential, white bread, suburban TV mother we're talking about.
    You're right. But, apparently you've never seen the movie with some black guys. They find those scenes hilarious for a whole other reason. In fact, I've rarely seen people laugh as hard as black guys watching those scenes with the two jive talkers.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I noticed that once Jerry got a little older, the humor subtly changed. The boys and their friends weren't quite as funny, except for Gilbert, but the show didn't lose a lot of its luster, either, imo. I think because maybe they also made Ward & June funnier.
    Larry Mondello (sp?) was the one who helped hold the show together in the later years, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Of course, you guys know the old joke, right?

What's the first reference to sex in American TV?

Ward, don't you think you were a bit hard on the Beaver last night?

There are variations of this one.

REMINDER TONIGHT ON TCM:

10:00 PM Freaks (1932)
    11:15 PM Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    12:45 AM Hunchback of Notre Dame, The (1939)

The Bride of Frankenstein is on tonight??????????

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

REMINDER TONIGHT ON TCM:

Freaks was just on only a couple weeks ago.

REMINDER TONIGHT ON TCM:

I was getting sleepy by 11. I must be getting old.

Freaks was just on only a couple weeks ago.
    Yeah, they have been doing this for a little while now. No problem, for a lot of people when a film runs the time isn't good for them. Shown at different times, a viewer has more of a chance.
    The older I get, the better I was.

As for The Beaver, a pretty simple show, harmless. In the beginning when they were small, lots of situations were rather funny but as they grew, not so much. Just not a lot to hold my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Yeah, they have been doing this for a little while now. No problem, for a lot of people when a film runs the time isn't good for them. Shown at different times, a viewer has more of a chance.
    Yeah, what drives me crazy is, sometimes, the one movie I want to see is the one they don't repeat. Oh well.

Yeah, what drives me crazy is, sometimes, the one movie I want to see is the one they don't repeat. Oh well.
    TCM streams movies now. They put a movie up on their website the day after it's aired on TV and make it available for two weeks, I think. You have to have a cable subscription but then you have to have cable to watch their channel, anyway. They don't put up all the movies they show but the majority they do (~75%).

My best example of this was, The Illustrated Man, with Rod Steiger. They ran it in the middle of the night of course and I never recorded it and they never did a replay. Ouch!

TCM streams movies now. They put a movie up on their website the day after it's aired on TV and make it available for two weeks, I think. You have to have a cable subscription but then you have to have cable to watch their channel, anyway. They don't put up all the movies they show but the majority they do (~75%).
    Well, that ups your chances.

I still need some help. Want to cut the cord. I have Netflix and Prime. I will certainly get a subscription for TCM and Starz because they have The Westerns Channel. An HD antenna will take care of the local items. As for content, I want the classic TV shows, color and most certainly B&W. I'll worry about sports last. But where to next? New products almost every day. Also, what's the option if I want to record?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I still need some help. Want to cut the cord. I have Netflix and Prime. I will certainly get a subscription for TCM and Starz because they have The Westerns Channel.
    Can you get a subscription to TCM and/or Starz without cable?

An HD antenna will take care of the local items.
    The antenna I use is decades old; I actually discovered it in my attic. I think it's the last one my dad bought before he got cable in the late '70s. And, yes, it works; I just attached a cable to it.

I live between 25 & 30 miles away from all the Dayton stations and all but one comes in clear: ABC is hinky in perfect weather and perfect in hinky weather. Fox is just the opposite. CBS, NBC, and PBS are usually always clear.

Anyway, there is really no such thing as an "HD" antenna. It's a marketing ploy so don't waste your money on a $100 antenna when a $30 one will work just as well. However, depending on where you live and where the stations are, you may have trouble with some stations. If you live at least 5-7 miles from the transmitters, you shouldn't have any problem. If you live too close, you'll want an omnidirectional antenna because one station may be east of you while another is northwest. Here's an interactive map at the FCC's website that shows the locations of transmitters of local stations. Just put in your address or zip code: DTV Reception Maps. Also, if you live in an apartment, you may be screwed as a lot of those flat, wall-mounted antennas aren't very good. The basic rule is, the higher your antenna, the better off you are. Altho, if you live in a 2nd floor apartment, you may be okay. If you have your own house, put it on the roof. And just so you know, I don't have a signal amplifier. If you find you need one, don't get the cheapest; but you shouldn't need the most expensive, either.

As for content, I want the classic TV shows, color and most certainly B&W.
    As I'm sure you know, those classic shows are on the sub-channels. You're in the Milwaukee area, is that right? So, NBC is on channel 4.1. That's the HD channel. Laff, Escape, and Grit are on 4.2 thru 4.4. You can find a list online of all the stations in your area. But it's almost needless because when you tell your TV to scan for channels, it will find everything for you. My local PBS station has 5 different channels.

Also, what's the option if I want to record?
    There are two options. The easy one is you have to buy your own DVR. Which means forking over even more money for the service. Yeah, they get you coming and going. I have a TiVo I bought years ago because I hated paying the cable company $15/month ad infinitum for an item I could buy for $120. The service is $15/mo but they also have a yearly plan for $150 and a lifetime plan for $550. I lucked out big time. TiVo had a special offer for the lifetime service for $100. I jumped all over that! So, I spent $200 for the DVR and lifetime plan combined; they paid for themselves in 20 months and it's been savings ever since. This was before cable companies started offering free DVRs, tho.

The second option is a lot more complicated but it costs little to nothing. I don't know how to set it up but you can use your computer as a DVR. You'd have to read up on it, of course.

I'll worry about sports last.
    This is related but let me ask you first: do you have close relatives in the area, such as parents or siblings or even some cousins?

Here's another way to save money and still get to see stuff:
    • You can split the cost of a Netflix subscription with a relative and everyone still gets to watch. You just have to share the login. My brother gave me their login so I pay nothing.
    • My brother also added me to their Amazon Prime membership. Again, costs me nothing but I still get 1 day shipping and Prime video.
    • If you have a game console, you can get a limited cable package for $30-40 that has some sports channels. And, iirc, you can add more for like $5 or $10. I think Sling is even cheaper. I used to have Playstation VUE but I didn't like the interface and didn't really watch very much on it, anyway. I dropped it.
    • Here's another benefit to having a console: you can download streaming apps and watch them on your Playstation (I know nothing about Xboxes). I use it for Netflix & Prime. And I'm pretty sure they have a Vudu and/or Hulu app, as well. And all in HD. You just have to have your console connected to the internet, obviously.
    • If you have a relative that already has cable, they should have a login for their subscription and email. Ask for their login (I use my niece's, who has Xfinity). You can stream most of the cable channels they get; it costs them nothing. I'm able to watch Fox Sports, ESPN, NBC Sports, HBO, TCM, AMC, and some cable news channels that way. There's probably other stuff I could watch but that's all I'm interested in. I believe TBS and TNT are available online, as well. The downside is that there's no way to pause live shows or record them for free. Not that I've found, anyway. There is software available that will record whatever's on your desktop but that means while you record something your PC's off limits until the recording's done. However, a lot of those channels replay shows later. For instance, you can watch a show on HBO live or wait a short time after it aired and it's now available for streaming. I missed the first half of the F1 race on Sunday. I checked and ESPN was replaying it at 7pm so I got to see the whole thing.
    • Finally, there's also the VPN route. That's something I'm not prepared to talk about, tho, since it involves illegalities.

I could never get by without cable. I never watch the broadcast networks unless baseball is on, which is not often.

I used to think so, too, but in the last 6 months, the only things I've watched that were on cable were the last 2 or 3 episodes of Game of Thrones, Chernobyl (an HBO miniseries), a few movies on TCM, and F1 races. Oh, and the women's World Cup.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Can you get a subscription to TCM and/or Starz without cable?
    I get HBO through Hulu, you can get Starz & TCM the same way.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I knew you can get them w/Hulu or Vue, etc, but I thought he meant subscribing to them directly.

Maybe that's one way the cable companies could be bankrupted: satellite networks creating apps so that you could subscribe to them directly, without the need for cable or a streaming service, and watch them on a Roku or game console.

I used to think so, too, but in the last 6 months, the only things I've watched that were on cable were the last 2 or 3 episodes of Game of Thrones, Chernobyl (an HBO miniseries), a few movies on TCM, and F1 races. Oh, and the women's World Cup.
    I don't watch a ton of TV, but when I do, it's mostly watch cable news, TCM, MLB (when my team is on) and sometimes History. I don't have any premium channels, like HBO. I can't remember the last time I followed any series on the major broadcast networks. It's literally been decades.

I could never get by without cable. I never watch the broadcast networks unless baseball is on, which is not often.
    I don't watch much broadcast TV anymore either. I sometimes watch PBS, and the news, but that's about it. I got off the late night talk show when Letterman retired, and I don't really do sitcoms or other shows the way I used to. Seems like all the good stuff is on cable now, but even then, it's disproportionate to how many channels there are.

Hal, I've spoken to some people and your right on the money. I did think I could subscribe to TCM and Starz as stand alones. Of course as NogbadThebad says, I can get them on Hulu which is even better. That's what I was looking for. I guess I don't know what each of these services carries. Got family members who have Netflix and Prime so we'll see on that. Great info, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Thanks NogbadThebad, you've already saved me some coin. Good call.