Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

The Dead of Night, the anthology from the 40s, is on tonight. Other than the silly golf story, it's stellar.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Dead of Night, the anthology from the 40s, is on tonight. Other than the silly golf story, it's stellar.
    I was just coming here to ask that. There's another anthology after that called Twice Told Tales. I might check both out tonight.

I hate the new TCM site. Click, scroll, click, scroll, click scroll. No star ratings. WTF? Seems like they ended their contract with Maltin. But, hell, strike a deal with Rotten Tomatoes to use their ratings.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

We skipped Twice Told Tales about ten minutes in - Vincent Price camp never works on either of us. I set the DVR for Black Sabbath.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    TCM has, The Bad Seed, this afternoon. Wonder which ending it will have.
    I was never aware there was more than one.
    If God wanted us to listen to audio books, She wouldn't have given us eyes to watch TV. - Gene Belcher

We skipped Twice Told Tales about ten minutes in - Vincent Price camp never works on either of us. I set the DVR for Black Sabbath.
    Yeah, that one lost me pretty quickly, too.

I immediately knew I had seen Dead of Night only a couple of minutes in. In fact, I saw it not very long ago. It's a lot of fun. But, yes, that golfing story was awful.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I hate the new TCM site. Click, scroll, click, scroll, click scroll. No star ratings. WTF? Seems like they ended their contract with Maltin. But, hell, strike a deal with Rotten Tomatoes to use their ratings.
    I'm not thrilled with it, either. Perusing the monthly schedule, I found a few times where the synopsis was cut off but then after clicking on the movie, the same synopsis can't be found. For instance, for The Hired Gun it reads "Gunman-for-hire Gil McCord gets an assignment to bring in a murderer to face trial. Surpri..." After clicking on the movie, the brief synopsis on the overview page reads, "A bounty hunter tries to prove his beautiful quarry innocent of murder." I figured they C&P'd the synopsis from the full synopsis, but nope. It reads the same as the brief synopsis. Dr Strangelove is the same way except that the synopsis on the monthly page, the brief synopsis, and the full synopsis are all different. Seems to me the one on the monthly page should be really brief while the brief synopsis is taken directly from the full synopsis.

The other issue I have with it is that the list of movies on the monthly page is only half the webpage. Actually, less than that if you have your taskbar visible, which I'd image most people do. The header, that contains the day and date, is way too tall, also. And are the two menus at the top necessary when viewing the schedules?

Another issue I ran across is the listing for The Wolf Man. On the monthly page, the only actors listed are Claude Rains, Warren William, and Ralph Bellamy. On the movie's page, it lists actors Claude Rains, Warren William, Ralph Bellamy, Patric Knowles, and Bela Lugosi. This really confused me because I wondered if I was misremembering or if this was a different movie altogether. Only after clicking the "read more" link do I find Lon Chaney Jr.'s name - billed 11th! WTF? He was only the title character! This was not his first movie, either. Granted, the vast majority of his roles were supporting or uncredited bit parts, but he'd been making movies for a decade at that point and according to Leonard Maltin turned in a really good performance as one of the leads in the A-picture, Of Mice and Men (1939). In fact, Universal signed him specifically for The Wolf Man, wanting to make him their next big horror star, according to Maltin. In fact, in Maltin's movie book he gets top billing! Hell, even on the movie poster he got special billing:

I don't get it.
    If God wanted us to listen to audio books, She wouldn't have given us eyes to watch TV. - Gene Belcher

p.s. I texted my sister & brother asking if they knew off the top of their head who played the wolf man. Both answered Lon Chaney Jr.

The TCM site has lost all of its charm. I always loved their graphics over the years. This is completely bland and virtually unusable. I understand the need to freshen things up, but what a blunder. I would bet they're getting tons of grief over it. At some point, they'll need to stop chalking it up to people simply resisting change and reassess how they lost their way.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I was just discussing with my sister the Universal "classic monsters". There were seven, one of which I would have never guessed, one I guessed that isn't considered one of the classics, another I guessed that was the wrong studio, and two I totally forgot about. Anyone think they know who they all were?

Phantom
    Dracula
    Frankenstein's monster
    Mummy
    Invisible Man
    Wolf Man
    Creature from the black lagoon

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I was just discussing with my sister the Universal "classic monsters". There were seven, one of which I would have never guessed, one I guessed that isn't considered one of the classics, another I guessed that was the wrong studio, and two I totally forgot about. Anyone think they know who they all were?
    But, one debuted so much later. It seems out of place in the list.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I have seen neither Wolf Man or the Phantom

The Wolfman is one of Universal's classics. Maybe the last not counting the later ones with multiple monsters .

But, one debuted so much later. It seems out of place in the list.
    I agree, which is the one I never would have guessed. I think it was mostly a marketing thing when they began releasing those movies on VHS. OTOH, there were three movies with the Creature, released in the same era as the "Abbot & Costello Meet..." movies.

The one I guessed that isn't considered one of the classics is the Hunchback. The movie was released by Universal in '23 and was co-produced by Carl Laemmle, founder of the company and father to Carl Jr who produced most of the Universal monster movies of the '30s. It starred Lon Chaney, who was the Phantom two years later. Apparently, it also set the stage for the later movies with its elaborate sets. The only reasons I can think of for him not being included is because there are no extant 35mm prints of the movie and because the remake with Charles Laughton was made by RKO Pictures. I know, however, that those old monster models from the early '60s included him. My brother had it. Of course, perhaps the most obvious reason was because he wasn't really a monster.

FYI, I've noticed from watching the Tour de France that Notre-Dame (which means "our lady" and refers to the Virgin Mother) is a common name for churches and cathedrals in France. There are at least 18 others outside of Paris.

The one from the wrong studio was Mr Hyde, of Dr Jekyll fame. Carl Laemmle actually made it in 1913 but it was only a two reeler. The version with John Barrymore was made by a company I'd never heard of and distributed by Paramount. The March version was made by Paramount and the Tracy version by MGM.

The two I forgot about were the Mummy ('32) and the Invisible Man ('33).

I know I tended to think of the Universal monster movies being mostly released in the '30s but that's not the case. From '39 to '45, Universal released 16 movies; 3 each in '40, '42, and '43, and 4 in '44. And from '48 to '56, released 6 more. Granted, those were Abbot & Costello or Creature movies, but still.

The biggest take away for me is how many Universal released: 30, not counting Hunchback.

To be clear, he's referring to "Phantom of the Opera."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I'd add 1960's "Apartment", with John Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine in its prime!

I found at WalHell a BluRay box of six of the Universal movies plus hours of extras (Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Wolf Man, Mummy, Invisible Man). I've seen online another set that has all eight but this one will satisfy me plus the price was way better.

Looks like Benge is running Hammer films and Thriller this weekend. 13 Ghosts is always fun. Oh boy.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Anyone have experience with an LG Blu-Ray player that also has the ability to download streaming service apps?

What is Benge?

^ A surname of Welsh origin that rhymes with Stonehenge.

Often mispronounced and confused with binge (to over eat), Benji (a little dog) and Bengay (an ointment for sore muscles).

Often mispronounced and confused with binge (to over eat), Benji (a little dog) and Bengay (an ointment for sore muscles).
    Hmm, I thought is was pronounced BEN-gee, rhyming with the Schmenge Brothers

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

What is Benge?
    Just another retro channel. I like it because it has The Dick Cavett Show.

Waiter, please show this gentleman out.

Hmm, I thought is was pronounced BEN-gee, rhyming with the Schmenge Brothers

WAITER......

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Waiter, please show this gentleman out.