Page 97 of 160 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I don't watch a ton of TV, but when I do, it's mostly watch cable news, TCM, MLB (when my team is on) and sometimes History. I don't have any premium channels, like HBO. I can't remember the last time I followed any series on the major broadcast networks. It's literally been decades.
    Ron, it seems you and I watch pretty much the same things on cable. I need MLB but there are a lot of news outlets and I have just the one premium. Hal says getting a DVR will take care of the recording which I would be willing to spring for. What I have vs. what I watch, it just doesn't seem worthwhile anymore.
    The older I get, the better I was.

TCM seems to be hard to get unless it's in a package along with other things I would have little interest in. Hulu will give it to you in a 45.00 package. Exactly what I wouldn't want. It's true, Prime will give you TCM content but some films you will have to pay for. Starz, however, is much easier to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    TCM seems to be hard to get unless it's in a package along with other things I would have little interest in. Hulu will give it to you in a 45.00 package. Exactly what I wouldn't want. It's true, Prime will give you TCM content but some films you will have to pay for. Starz, however, is much easier to get.
    Starz doesn't compare to TCM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Starz doesn't compare to TCM.
    Absolutely not. The only thing from Starz I find of interest is, The Westerns Channel, of which I'm a big fan.

Absolutely not. The only thing from Starz I find of interest is, The Westerns Channel, of which I'm a big fan.
    Yeah, I jumped over to their website to see their movie categories and it looks like the $5.00 bin at Target.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah, I jumped over to their website to see their movie categories and it looks like the $5.00 bin at Target.
    . I'm getting to the point where I just want to buy all of the tv series and movies I like. Too much broadcast crap.

TCM seems to be hard to get unless it's in a package along with other things I would have little interest in.
    So, find a relative willing to give you their login. You can then watch TCM live or stream at a later date. You just have to either connect a PC (or laptop) to your TV or there's probably another way if you have a smart TV. I don't, so I don't know how that would be accomplished.*

*I just remembered. If you have a smart TV and a wi-fi router, you could access your PC through Plex (Scottbails, a member here, was the first to tell me about it); I know nothing about it (or smart TVs) but if you click that link, there's a page on How-To Geek's website that explains it all.

And Plex is free. Scott told me, tho, that the connection wouldn't always be great, probably because of wi-fi.

I used something similar called Universal Media Server that allowed my PS3 to connect to my PC since they are both connected to my home network (PS3s have a function that looks for media servers). It seemed to work pretty well but I quit using it because there seemed to be a process by which that connection was made and I wasn't always sure what that process was. I was too lazy and/or impatient to read how or to try various methods to learn the best way. I think I may have stumbled onto it but can't remember now.

UMS is free, too. And I never had problems with speed because I used wired connections.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I watched Bride of Frankenstein the other day. Three observations:

1. The cinematography was beautiful.
    2. The lever the monster pulled at the end that blew up Frankenstein's lab is a clear example of a deus ex machina - only in reverse.
    3. I could not help but think of Young Frankenstein as I was watching it, probably because Mel Brooks & Gene Wilder partially used it as inspiration. Three things especially popped to mind: Madeline Kahn calling Peter Boyle "zipper neck", Gene Hackman pouring soup in Peter Boyle's lap and lighting his thumb on fire, and Cloris Leachman's excellent impression of Una O'Connor (as Minnie, the loud mouthed maid).

It made me want to watch Young Frankenstein, again, a movie I enjoyed considerably more.

BTW, I forgot John Carradine was in it. He played one of the hunters that showed up at the blind man's house. I didn't really recognize him but there's no mistaking his distinctive voice.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Young Frankenstein used the same props.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I watched Bride of Frankenstein the other day. Three observations:

1. The cinematography was beautiful.
    2. The lever the monster pulled at the end that blew up Frankenstein's lab is a clear example of a deus ex machina - only in reverse.
    3. I could not help but think of Young Frankenstein as I was watching it, probably because Mel Brooks & Gene Wilder partially used it as inspiration. Three things especially popped to mind: Madeline Kahn calling Peter Boyle "zipper neck", Gene Hackman pouring soup in Peter Boyle's lap and lighting his thumb on fire, and Cloris Leachman's excellent impression of Una O'Connor (as Minnie, the loud mouthed maid).

It made me want to watch Young Frankenstein, again, a movie I enjoyed considerably more.

BTW, I forgot John Carradine was in it. He played one of the hunters that showed up at the blind man's house. I didn't really recognize him but there's no mistaking his distinctive voice.
    So many iconic scenes. It's a masterpiece.

So many iconic scenes. It's a masterpiece.
    To which are you referring? BoF?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    To which are you referring? BoF?
    Yes, but both apply.

The one thing YF has over BOF is Teri Garr. Oh to roll in the hay with Teri.

I had a major crush on TG in the '80s when she kept showing up on Letterman's show.

Wow, I know I'm a little late to this thread (and I haven't read through all 97(!) pages) but I'd have to go with:

1) Citizen Kane (just because)
    2) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    3) Touch of Evil (Orson Welles damn it)
    4) Rebecca (because Welles stole all his ideas [and cinematographer] from Hitchcock)
    5) The Jazz Singer (because it's kind of sort of the first talkie)
    6) Eraserhead (Lynch is awesome [and weird])
    7) Metropolis
    8) The Maltese Falcon (I have to include a film noir if we're talking B+W (and The Lady From Shanghai would skew this way too much toward Welles).

Full disclosure: Back in college I took a few cinema studies classes. There was a pretty significant bias toward Welles and Kubrick. My final class in college was "Cult Film In America", so that's where the Eraserhead entry comes in.

Welcome. We mostly talk about B&W movies here; occasionally B&W TV (thank Staun, he started it), but most definitely oldies (prior to '60s) even if they were in color.

Good list. I've never done a top 10 of B&Ws but I can definitely say Dr Strangelove would be on it (my favorite movie), as would Eraserhead. I'd put Manhattan on that list as well, probably.

BTW, not to nit pick, but Touch of Evil is considered film noir, too.

Speaking of film noir, TCM has a thing called "Noir Alley" that airs Saturdays at midnight with a rerun on Sundays at 10am. And in case you didn't know, TCM makes available on their website most of the movies they show the day after they air. They're then available to stream for two weeks, I think. You just need a cable subscription login. I actually streamed The Trouble With Harry, The Big Clock, and Bride of Frankenstein in the past couple of weeks.

I'd really have to think hard about my top ten. I know five minutes after posting it, I'd want to change it.

"Dracula" (1931) is on Me-TV tonight. Once again, you'd have to put up with about 40 minutes of commercials and asinine "humor" over the two-hour broadcast. While it's considered a 3-start movie, it would probably be in my top ten for atmosphere alone. Plus, anything with Dwight Frye is usually worth watching.

Re: "Dracula," the Spanish version was filmed using the same sets during the off-hours and is actually considered by many to be the superior version. I have that in the remastered set, but have not yet watched it.

"Dracula" (1931) is on Me-TV tonight. Once again, you'd have to put up with about 40 minutes of commercials and asinine "humor" over the two-hour broadcast. While it's considered a 3-start movie, it would probably be in my top ten for atmosphere alone. Plus, anything with Dwight Frye is usually worth watching.
    Just to be clear. I don't consider it a three-star movie. Four stars in my book. It's got everything. There's nothing else like it.

We watched it tonight. Svengooli is well, he is what he is. I like the rubber chicken fetish. Dwight Frye is the definitive Renfield.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Citizen Cane
    Dr. Strangelove
    Paper Moon
    Casablanca
    Double Indemnity
    Sunset Blvd.
    And 3 years ago I left out perhaps the best (and most difficult to shoot) black & white movie ever made imho, Marcel Carne's French masterpiece, Les Enfants du Paradis (Children of Paradise). Released in 1945 after being filmed clandestinely during the Nazi occupation of Paris from 1943-liberation.

It is considered by many to be the French "Gone With The Wind", and it clocks in at over 3 hours.

If you are a fan of mime, the male lead is played by (a non-mute) Jean-Louis Barrault, who was Marcel Marceau's teacher & mentor, and his mime work in this is staggering.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

If I didn't know who this was, I don't think I would have recognized her:

b0dfdb38f8c5ba046faaa0a075e159c6.jpg

I didn't know either, but found out via search.

The eyes could be a giveaway.

I didn't know either, but found out via search.

The eyes could be a giveaway.
    Well, I'm still in the dark. Looks French. Bet it's someone I should know.