Page 93 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Would Hal crash into the wall or his gear box goes bad if I mentioned that, 12 Angry Men, Sweet Smell Of Success, Night OF The Hunter and Marty are on TCM tonight.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Thanks! I'll certainly watch it, love motor sport, they used to run the British Rally through the forestry roads behind our house on the North Yorkshire Moors. Those guys are nuts.
    Along with the NASSCAR guys. You go to a fight and a race breaks out.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ron, during all the car talk did you neglect to send out the "12 Angry Men" alert? I think it was on tonight. Whenever it is/was, I recorded it. Believe it or not, I've never seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ron, during all the car talk did you neglect to send out the "12 Angry Men" alert? I think it was on tonight. Whenever it is/was, I recorded it. Believe it or not, I've never seen it.
    I saw it a couple of days ago, actually.

Enjoy the flick.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Would Hal crash into the wall or his gear box goes bad if I mentioned that Paths of Glory, 12 Angry Men, Sweet Smell Of Success, Night OF The Hunter and Marty are on TCM tonight.
    Corrected your post.

Boy, what a line up!!! Missed it all, too. Not that I would have tuned in, except for SSoS. I've seen them all and at this point in my life, I try not to see my favorites too often. After too many viewings, I tend to notice things that could potentially lower my opinion.

Other than SSoS, which I can't comment on, those are all 4 star movies, two of which are in my top ten (12 Angry Men and Night of the Hunter).
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Corrected your post.

Boy, what a line up!!! Missed it all, too. Not that I would have tuned in, except for SSoS. I've seen them all and at this point in my life, I try not to see my favorites too often. After too many viewings, I tend to notice things that could potentially lower my opinion.

Other than SSoS, which I can't comment on, those are all 4 star movies, two of which are in my top ten (12 Angry Men and Night of the Hunter).
    You read my mind. Started to add it but I felt it was, maybe, a little early in the day for some. The others, I think, are more in the wheel house for viewing. Saturation is always a possibility but a film like 12 Angry Men is so dynamic, I'm always looking for something new I've never noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    We were discussing which of the great films we haven't seen. This is one film I can safely say you will enjoy.

Hal, in Sweet Smell of Success, I used to wonder who was more despicable. Lancaster was like a child with a weapon threatening everyone and Curtis, something that crawled out of a hole and would do anything anyone said just to get a head. Using Lancaster's sister as a point of contention in all of this hip deep crap was interesting. Still, a little more slim would have been good, like the politician, his assistant and the girl. "It's easy to see that this one, is carrying that one, for you". Excellent!

Speaking of greats you haven't seen, one of my top ten favorite movies is Harvey, with Jimmy Stewart. I cannot recall if we've ever discussed it. So, who's seen it and who hasn't?

Saturation is always a possibility but a film like 12 Angry Men is so dynamic, I'm always looking for something new I've never noticed.
    You know how many times I've seen that movie? Saturation is a very real possibility for me with that film. Hell, I own it, along with Paths of Glory and Night of the Hunter.

Hal, in Sweet Smell of Success...
    I purposely didn't read your post because - spoilers! - I'll catch it either on demand or when it airs Nov 2.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Harvey ; seen it. Its a good film , but not in my top 10. Any movie fan who has not seen it , should. For Jimmy Stewart films , I'm partial to Its A Wonderful Life. He made so many excellent films.

Speaking of greats you haven't seen, one of my top ten favorite movies is Harvey, with Jimmy Stewart. I cannot recall if we've ever discussed it. So, who's seen it and who hasn't?

You know how many times I've seen that movie? Saturation is a very real possibility for me with that film. Hell, I own it, along with Paths of Glory and Night of the Hunter

I purposely didn't read your post because - spoilers! - I'll catch it either on demand or when it airs Nov 2.
    My mistake. I thought you had seen the film or had an idea of the plot line. Glad you didn't read the post.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Harvey ; seen it. Its a good film , but not in my top 10. Any movie fan who has not seen it , should. For Jimmy Stewart films , I'm partial to Its A Wonderful Life. He made so many excellent films.
    I think his westerns rival Wayne's' without a doubt. He didn't make as many but he had more range than The Duke. I feel the same about Randolph Scott. Stewarts westerns shows him as more of an actor than just a persona.

I don't think I've ever seen "Harvey."

FWIW, I heard that McCartney is writing music for a musical version of "It's a Wonderful Life."

Not sure how I feel about that.

And, to be brutally honest, I cannot say I've seen that all the way through in one sitting.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

FWIW, I heard that McCartney is writing music for a musical version of "It's a Wonderful Life."

Not sure how I feel about that.

And, to be brutally honest, I cannot say I've seen that all the way through in one sitting.
    After all these years, IAWL is still my sisters favorite movie. That and the Wizard of OZ. McCartney? Yeah, that feels strange.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

I'm sure you'd like Harvey, Ron, and I know Karen would if Arsenic and Old Lace is her favorite. It's a low key screwball comedy. And Stewart is wonderful in it as is Josephine Hull, for which she won an Oscar.

And how have you never seen It's a Wonderful Life the whole way thru?

We may have to revoke your Classic Movie Club membership if that isn't rectified this Christmas.

IAnd how have you never seen It's a Wonderful Life the whole way thru?

We may have to revoke your Classic Movie Club membership if that isn't rectified this Christmas.
    It may because it's on so often that I figure I'll eventually get to it but never did.

I'm pretty sure the movie is in the public domain due to a copyright lapse. They story is still copyrighted, but I don't believe the movie is, which is why it's on every channel each year.

I'm sure you'd like Harvey, Ron, and I know Karen would if Arsenic and Old Lace is her favorite. It's a low key screwball comedy. And Stewart is wonderful in it as is Josephine Hull, for which she won an Oscar.

And how have you never seen It's a Wonderful Life the whole way thru?

I don't know if I would call Harvey a screwball comedy. Comedic fantasy maybe.

I'm wondering if I may have, in fact, seen it. I'll have to look at some online clips.

Watched Sweet Smell of Success last night. A very well made and well written movie that provided the occasional laugh. Lancaster & Curtis are both excellent in it. That said, I wasn't all that knocked out by the dialogue [edit: very often, great dialogue will make me laugh, even if the movie isn't a comedy, because there's usually irony, clever turns of phrase, and/or well-written insults involved] and the movie as a whole wallows in cynicism. I was also led to believe that the teaming of Curtis & Emile Meyer was central to the movie: "Falco (Curtis) and the detective (Meyer) form an uneasy alliance to frame jazz musician Martin Milner on a drug rap to end his relationship with Hunsecker’s nubile sister, played by Susan Harrison." Meyer, while very good, had a bit part in it and the "alliance" was one scene. That was disappointing. Also, the fact that the movie is being listed by TCM as film noir is a little misleading. At least the ending was logical - and positive - so it had that going for it but it wasn't a happy ending, exactly.

I've seen it. I never need to see it again. And I don't think it's a must-see.

I don't know if I would call Harvey a screwball comedy. Comedic fantasy maybe.
    Well, I said low key screwball comedy. But you have to admit, the scenes in the sanitarium are straight out of a classic screwball comedy. So, maybe my label isn't entirely accurate. You're right; "screwball comedy" is too narrow a genre to use for this movie.
    Last edited by Hal...; 09-13-2019 at 11:21 AM.

I was looking up something totally unrelated and came across this about Robert Walker. He's probably best known for his role in Strangers on a Train:

On the night of August 28, 1951, Walker's housekeeper reputedly found Walker in an emotional state. She called the actor's psychiatrist, Frederick Hacker, who arrived and administered amobarbital (aka sodium amytal, also used as a truth serum) for sedation. Walker had allegedly been drinking before the outburst, and it is believed the combination of amobarbital and alcohol caused him to lose consciousness and stop breathing. Efforts to resuscitate Walker failed.

In her biography of Walker and [Jennifer] Jones, Star-Crossed, author Beverly Linet quotes Walker's friend Jim Henaghan, who was not mentioned in official accounts of Walker's death, as saying that he was present at the time of the events leading to Walker's death. Henaghan stated that he stopped by Walker's house, where they played cards, and Walker was behaving normally. Walker's psychiatrist arrived and insisted that he receive an injection. When Walker refused, Henaghan held him down in order for the physician to administer it. Walker soon lost consciousness, and frantic efforts to revive him failed. (Wikipedia)

He was only 32.

^^ Good god, that's horrible.

Sad story. Terrible.

"Harvey" is on TCM Sunday night at 10:15.

Also, tomorrow afternoon, "Inherit the Wind." That's another great one we haven't discussed much here. Fredric March is soooo good in that one. He could play any role.

Who was the one who shamefully confessed that he'd never seen "Bride of Frankenstein"?????

Monday night at 11:15 is your chance to redeem yourself. In fact, it's being bookended by "Freaks" and "The Hunchbaclk of Notre Dame" with Laughton and the lovely Maureen O'Hara in her film debut:

Did anyone admit not having seen BoF? I said that I hadn't seen it since I was a kid.

Maureen was lovely, wasn't she? Was she in Miracle on 34th St? I haven't seen that movie in so long I can't remember. And she was also in a movie with Brian Keith, wasn't she? What movie was that? Was it the original Parent Trap with Haley Mills? Or am I confusing the Irish actresses again? (I'm too lazy and in a hurry to look it up myself)