Page 90 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Bladerunner! Heresy! Burn the witch!
    Bring it on, Ian. lol I'm a Pisces, we're masters of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I agree. We haven't had a good heretic BBQ in a long time.
    I wouldn't taste good. Too much gristle.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, there's far too much wrong with this post to even reply.

BTW, guys, don't I get points for Lady and the Tramp?

Re: Star Wars, some I like and some I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I never laughed once during Some Like It Hot
    Me neither. I mean, it's an okay movie, but... meh.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The animated Disiney? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I was a bit surprised to see that one. Do you know they're releasing a live-action one?

I haven't seen it in so many years, but considering that you rank "Pinocchio" and "Fantasia" as "meh"...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The animated Disiney? No.

I was a bit surprised to see that one. Do you know they're releasing a live-action one?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Ron, I have to believe it's one you've seen but just don't remember or it just didn't make an impression.
    You're correct. As I thought about it, I figured I had seen it and recalled that the woman was a spy. Then I watched some of it last night and confirmed that I had definitely seen it. I can't say it didn't leave much of an impression on me. It's more like it got lost in the mix.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

For me it's, Gone With The Wind. How it made it to my shelf, I don't know.
    Nobody ever mentions that GWTW is almost a scene-for-scene remake of "Birth of a Nation."

Getting back to great B&W comedies, has anyone mentioned "Bringing Up Baby" (1938)?

Martin Scorsese used to have a demonstration on letterboxing they'd show on TCM, with the most egregious example being How the West Was Won, which was shot in three-strip Cinerama.
    There were only a couple theatrical releases done in Cinerama, which were shot with three synchronized cameras and had to be projected with three synchronized projectors across a 146º screen. "How The West Was Won" was about the only one, although "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" was advertised as another (it was actually filmed in Cinerama's successor, the ultra-wide-screen single-camera 70mm, and then PRINTED to Cinerama). I have a DVD called "The Best of Cinerama" which is the original 1962 Cinerama demonstration film, with a bunch of "wowsa" effects shots and travelogues, which is about all Fred Waller's Cinerama managed before being replaced with the much-easier 70mm (Elizabeth Taylor's husband Mike Todd formed Todd-AO to promote the new 70mm format, and made "Around The World in 80 Days" as his first -- and it turned out ONLY -- demonstration). The disc also has lengthy explanations and demonstrations and a history of the various film formats. The Cinerama features are presented in what they call a "Smilebox" format, which has a bowtie-letterboxing to simulate the ultra-widescreen. It's annoying at first, but you soon get used to it. I thought perhaps my Samsung curved-screen TV would make a difference, but you'd have to sit 6" away to get the 146º wrap-around screen effect.

Fun fact: Seattle has one of the three remaining Cinerama movie theaters in the world. I saw the "Star Wars" premiere there in 1977.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-30-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Nobody ever mentions that GWTW is almost a scene-for-scene remake of "Birth of a Nation."

Getting back to great B&W comedies, has anyone mentioned "Bringing Up Baby" (1938)?
    Big Cary Grant fans in this household. "Arsenic and Old Lace" is my wife's favorite movie. Although, I find Grant to be a bit over the top in that one. And his fiancé? Ugh. But, the old Aunts and Teddy are a total hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yep, pages and pages ago.

Big Cary Grant fans in this household. "Arsenic and Old Lace" is my wife's favorite movie. Although, I find Grant to be a bit over the top in that one. And his fiancé? Ugh. But, the old Aunts and Teddy are a total hoot!
    Your wife has good taste... her husband notwithstanding.

I owed you one

I agree about Grant. He's usually kinda over the top in screwball comedies. For comedies, he's 100x better as the fast talking, wisecracking smart aleck. In fact, with a few exceptions (e.g. Suspicion), those are my favorite CG movies.

Your wife has good taste... her husband notwithstanding.

I owed you one

I agree about Grant. He's usually kinda over the top in screwball comedies. For comedies, he's 100x better as the fast talking, wisecracking smart aleck. In fact, with a few exceptions (e.g. Suspicion), those are my favorite CG movies.

"His Girl Friday" with Rosalind Russell is a personal favorite of mine. The dialog is exhaustingly funny.

"His Girl Friday" with Rosalind Russell is a personal favorite of mine. The dialog is exhaustingly funny.
    That was one I was thinking of. There are some others I can't think of at the moment but you obviously understand what I mean. In that respect, he had no equal and it's what made him one of my favorite actors.

I neglected to mention I totally forgot about Watch on the Rhine last night. That was the one I really wanted to see. WTF? Fortunately, TCM has it on demand so that's what I'll be watching tonight.

I did get to see The Lady Vanishes, tho. Maltin gave it 4 stars. I think it's more like a 3 star movie.

I did get to see The Lady Vanishes, tho. Maltin gave it 4 stars. I think it's more like a 3 star movie.
    I'm inclined to agree with that.

I guess it's Kirk Douglas day on TCM today.

Of all the stars from the Golden Age, Douglas ranks right up there with Glenn Ford as my least favorite.

Edit: After checking the schedule, I see Paths of Glory isn't listed. WTF?

I am such a twelve year old but every time I see Kirk Douglas I think of a comedy routine by Dana Carvey where Douglas has buttsex with Burt Lancaster.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"Cape Fear" is on TCM tonight at 8:00

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Some Harryhausen and Harryhausen-esque movies on tomorrow (Tuesday, 9/3):

8:30 AM
    Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, The (1953)

10:00 AM
    Trog (1970)

11:45 AM
    Giant Behemoth, The (1959)

1:15 PM
    One Million B.C. (1940)

2:45 PM
    One Million Years B.C. (1966)

4:30 PM
    Valley of Gwangi, The (1969)

6:15 PM
    When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1971)

I guess it's Kirk Douglas day on TCM today.

Of all the stars from the Golden Age, Douglas ranks right up there with Glenn Ford as my least favorite.

Edit: After checking the schedule, I see Paths of Glory isn't listed. WTF?
    Caught some of it. I've always liked, Town without Pity and, Seven Days In May. Detective Story is one of his best. Hal, put down the lemons.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

8:30 AM
    Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, The (1953)

10:00 AM
    Trog (1970)

11:45 AM
    Giant Behemoth, The (1959)

One Million B.C. (1940)

4:30 PM
    Valley of Gwangi, The (1969)

6:15 PM
    When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1971)
    Yeah, Giant Behemoth and Valley of the Gwangi rocked when I was a kid.

"Cape Fear" is on TCM tonight at 8:00
    I think we talked about this once but when Mitchum picked up the girl, took her home, we see her lying on the bed half dressed. He moves in for the kill but she goes crazy. Could never figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I am such a twelve year old but every time I see Kirk Douglas I think of a comedy routine by Dana Carvey where Douglas has buttsex with Burt Lancaster.
    Maybe that's why they were both in, Seven Days in May

The Big Clock (1948). Saturday at midnight, Sunday at 10am.

Leonard Maltin review:

D: John Farrow. Ray Milland, Charles Laughton, Maureen O'Sullivan, George Macready, Rita Johnson, Dan Tobin, Henry (Harry) Morgan. Tyrannical publisher of crime magazine (Laughton) commits murder; his editor (Milland) tries to solve case and finds all the clues pointing to himself. Vibrant melodrama; taut script by Jonathan Latimer from Kenneth Fearing novel. Elsa Lanchester has hilarious vignette as eccentric artist. Remade as No Way Out (1987).

Maltin gives this 3 stars. I'd give it 3½. Set your DVRs or watch it, but don't miss it. One of the better films noir, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    One Million B.C. (1940)

I read through the descriptions and they seem to have the same plot.

I think I'd rather watch Caveman (1981) with Ringo, which I'm guessing was a remake.

Hal, put down the lemons.
    Bah.

Seven Days in May is good.

Maybe that's why they were both in, Seven Days in May

I read through the descriptions and they seem to have the same plot.

I think I'd rather watch Caveman (1981) with Ringo, which I'm guessing was a remake.
    But... but... but One Million Years B.C. has Raquel Welch! In a loincloth!

Hall, didn't see, The Big Clock, but I think I got it confused with, The Clock with Orson Welles and Edward G. Robinson. I think Ron likes that one to. Charles Laughton was an excellent actor.